Forward Air Reviews

1. Dock Supervisor

Current Employee - Dock Supervisor
    Current Employee - Dock Supervisor

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours outside of peak season
    Good pay

Cons

Drivers are flakes
    Crappy peak season hours

Advice to Management

Prepare and plan better.. set your people up for success

2. Get ready to be a tool!

I worked at Forward Air

Pros

Growing company. Decent pay and overtime is available. Apparently you can fart if you desire and smack your co-workers in the back of the head. Plus, you are encouraged to ignore phone calls.

Cons

They do not invest in employees. The drivers, who are the backbone of the company, are treated like dirt. You are a number, not a name, and be ready to be treated worse if you speak up or try to speak to the powers that be for any reason. You are tool, not "part" of a company.

Advice to Management

Why would you want to.

3. Dynamic, growing company well position for continued growth and future success. Top-notch senior management.

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Forward Air full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay with very good benefits and incentive programs; good opportunity to move up within the organization as they continue to grow; top-notch, seasoned middle and senior management professionals who provide an opportunity for employees to learn and develop as professionals. Great culture and great people.

Cons

One of the FA mantra's is "Work hard, play hard; but work always comes first" As a FA employee you will have good opportunity to go above and beyond and advance within the company, but be prepared to work long hours and pay your dues to the company first as that is how the leaders of the company got to where they are today: with many years of hard work beginning at the ground level. For some this could be a con for the work/life balance, but for others this is a positive as each employee will have the opportunity to decide and be in control of their own success with this company.

Advice to Management

Continue with the internal incentive programs and contest that involved all of the FA employees to have the opportunity to contribute their ideas and input on ways to improve the operations of the company. I believe that this is an excellent way to get all employees to be on the same page regarding how FA operates and how they are able to provide the highest quality of service in their respective industry.

5. Bad Experience

Current Employee - Team Owner Operator
    Current Employee - Team Owner Operator

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DROP AND HOOK AT TERMINALS DOES NOT HAVE TO GO TO CUSTOMERS

Cons

We came to Forward Air as Team Owner Operators We talk to company Recruiters they said about 5000 to 6000 miles per week with good home time policy but a lot of times we have to sit at terminals for waiting on Freight and not getting enough miles when we call Dispatchers they said doesn't have freight for Long Haul because Team Drivers appreciate Long Hauls well I think it's a wastage of time and we are planning to leave Forward Air.Anybody want to come on board with Forward Air,please think twice.

Advice to Management

Get some good Freight Lane Planners and Dispatchers who understand Drivers What they want?Don't Promise Team Owner Owner Operators which is not Realistic.Don't make fake promises.Some of your trailers are very bad.

6. Good company to work for with family type of environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Forward Air

Pros

Family like environment. Most customers & drivers are very nice. Coworkers helpful.

Cons

Lack of adiquit training from supervisors.

Advice to Management

Supervisors and employees should be trained in all positions. Take into account employees opinion on how upper management is performing.

7. Terrible

I worked at Forward Air full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were about the only thing I could say that was a positive. Other than that, there were very few bright spots.

Cons

Management was more concerned with advancing the friends they had in high school than the people that actually knew how to do the job.

Advice to Management

Learn how to separate your personal relationships from the personal ones. As soon as you are able to differentiate the two, you will grow as managers and Forward Air will be a better place to work.

8. Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are real dedicated in doing their job. Management is flexible

Cons

Long Hours and compensation does not fit what a supervisor does.

Advice to Management

Be fair across the board

9. It's a job.

Current Employee - Contract Driver in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Contract Driver in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Forward Air (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers. This company is a owner-operator company that relys on good drivers with good experience. They offer nice safety bonuses yearly.

Cons

Manipulative dispatch...very deceitful. A overbearing safety department that doesn't take everything into consideration when passing judgements on there drivers. There upper management plainly just doesn't care...bottom line there about the profit.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of drivers that sustain your business.

10. Overall a good company to work for.

I worked at Forward Air

Pros

1. Caring work environment
    2. Good performance oriented incentive.

Cons

1. Bad holiday schedule - only 5 days in a year.

11. If you're looking for a company with advancement opportunities or that treats employees well, Forward Air is not the one.

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Forward Air full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers for the most part. I worked with some really good guys on the dock.

Cons

Management treats dock workers as though they are completely expendable. Horrible pay. I worked there full time for 5 years and the last 2 years part time. So 7 years total and after that much time I was only making $1.00 more an hour than the day I walked in the door. Management will lies to it's employees and will show favoratism towards certain employees. Will even fire an employee based on the claims of another employee without any proof or ever giving the accused employee a chance to defend themselves against the accusations. Overall, not a company worth putting much effort into. It isn't recognized or rewarded.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees better, especially dock workers. No matter how good of a business or marketing plan you come up with, no matter how good your sales team is, the workers on the dock are the ones that determine the success of the company.