Foster Wheeler

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Foster Wheeler CEO and Director J. Kent Masters

J. Kent Masters

Amazing company

Senior Piping Stress Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

ProsMedium company, that let you not be just a number

ConsThe security of the job is not good sometimes

HORRIBLE

Asbestos Settlements (Current Employee)
Clinton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork schedule of every other Friday off

ConsHorrible Management. Management likes to babysit you all day everyday (micromanaging). Not enough work to fill a whole day. Complaints about not using your time off when you happened to sit in 2 hours of traffic in the morning on 78. No room to grow, no promotions. Constant lay-offs when work dries up, then will bring in consultants (ex-employees) at outrageous costs when current employees are lucky to get a 2% raise each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to school and take some management classes.

Good Place to work

Senior Principal (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

ProsJob is interesting and professionally satisfying

ConsToo much of compliance rules, regulations and paperwork

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Engineers to work without too much hassle on compliance

Worked as senior piping designer on SASOL wax and Engen projects

Senior Piping Designer (Current Employee)
Midrand (South Africa)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsWell organised project setup with good communication between Piping and Client. Frequent model reviews kept the client informed on the progress of the model

ConsTheir were no downsides. Foster Wheeler is a well structured company with all the disciplines in place

Advice to Senior ManagementFrequent progress meetings ke[t the client and designers informed

A good company to work for (when they have work).

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay and benefits, nice, helpful people.
They allow you to stretch and develop your strengths and gain new experience.
9-80 work week with every other Friday off.

ConsWhen in down market, layoffs can be heavy.
Can be a bit clique-ish in some departments.

"Good 'ol boy" system (in Houston) that spends more time covering up their failures instead of fixing them

IT SECURITY MANAGER (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for less than a year

Pros1. If any other engineering firms rejects you and you need a job fast.
2. If you have a lack of integrity and pride in your work.
3. If you're incompetent and looking to just hide in your cube for a paycheck.
4. If you're OK with HR and Senior Management hiring grossly incompetent people because they're all friends.
5. If you're OK with constant promises, but no follow up or action taken on any reasonable request.

Cons1. Obvious glass ceilings
2. HR has been caught red-handed multiple times trying to perform illegal actions and other unethical behavior against employee records upon departure.
3. If you're an engineer and you're a contractor; prepare to be blamed for the failures of the seniors there. If you're in general operations, prepare to have a severe lack of budget (except for anything related to Safety that they call HS&E) and plenty of blame to go around.
4. Management and senior management across multiple departments try to hide incompetency and failures by keeping people "quiet" without reporting to their UK corporate HQ.
5. No one will accept responsibility in any form that can be used as evidence (emails, recordings, or any official forms).

Advice to Senior ManagementHouston management needs to turn in their resignation papers.

Growing and expanding

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

ProsDue to urgent and aggressive hiring, the company was willing to pay to have the required workforce for their projects. Working culture was generally friendly. Company is at Menara Citibank which is within walking distance to Ampang Park LRT station. Lots of food stalls and restaurants around the area.
During the recent global management meeting, it was revealed that the Kuala Lumpur office is one of the focus point of worldwide strategy. Plans to grow and expand the office into a regional hub will be in place. They have managed to secure an umbrella contract with Shell for small scale projects around the Southeast Asia region. They are in talks with Petronas for the same type of contract. These are for the downstream division of the company. The upstream division has secured a project recently with Petronas.

ConsTheir first big scale project was the Arkema Lychee Project. As the team was put together in an ad hoc manner, hired from various other companies with different backgrounds, most of them are not familiar with the company's procedures and workflows. Also due to the short schedule of the project, the procedures and workflows were not strictly followed, causing planning and execution issues among different disciplines. However, this issue will be resolved once a more permanent team is in place and training is given to ensure familiarity with company procedures and workflows.
Salary is favourable, but employee benefits require improvements, in particular annual leave days and medical benefits.

Job Exposure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler

ProsGood variety of jobs available.

ConsSalary can really improve as per general guidelines

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce attrition

good company but resistant to change

Construction Engineer (Former Employee)
Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

Prostravel opportunities, global business, high quality technical and project management experience, people are treated nicely, market pay

ConsResistant to change, can take years to progress, not too transparent in communication, very reactive strategy and unwillingness to change stops that too.

Advice to Senior ManagementYoung blood needs to be brought in. This is a long term commitment. Diversify a bit more. Local bases in some african regions. Take more risk. Lessons learned and data needs to be collected to make a world class industry repository for FWs benefit and competitive advantage.

Good company, benefits, people

Engineering Aide (Former Employee)
Clinton, NJ (US)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company, benefits, people, challenging work

ConsLong wait between assignments caused boredom

Advice to Senior ManagementUse resources on current projects during lull between assignments.

Worked for Foster Wheeler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Foster Wheeler reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Foster Wheeler CEO J. Kent Masters. All 59 reviews are posted anonymously by Foster Wheeler employees.