GEICO Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

3.2

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic pay/benefits with a growing company offering many advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an Auto Damage Adjuster with GEICO, I've discovered the following pros:
    - First and foremost, working as an Auto Damage Adjuster is the BEST entry-level job at GEICO by far. Most of the bad reviews I see on this site for this company are related to the call center cubicle jobs that can be inherently mundane and can have a high turn over rate.
    - Best-in-industry training set me up to hit the road running. I felt very comfortable coming out of training in an industry I've never worked in before. Body shops have also told me GEICO adjusters are noticeably more knowledgable coming out of training than other insurance company's adjusters.
    - Great pay and raises. Pay during training was good and the added overtime offered (which only better prepared me for the real job) made the total pay during training to be fantastic. The company rewards adjusters who do their job as expected. Within the first 12 months after training, the annual salary increased by almost $10k.
    - Benefits for myself and my family have been great. Medical/Dental/Vision coverage is offered. When my wife gave birth to our child, we only paid around $300 out of pocket for the hospital stay and everything else involved in the birth (ie charges for drugs and lab stuff).
    - It is not a desk job. It is refreshing not being stuck in a cubicle all day. I do have a work laptop I have to sit down with and write up estimates, respond to emails and work on other admin tasks, but much of the job is out and about in the body shops, face-to-face with customers, inspecting vehicles at tow yards or driving from place to place.
    - Work is not boring. The work day/week flies by and no two days are exactly the same.
    - A lot of room for growth within the company. GEICO is a large company and is still growing rapidly. This means a lot of opportunities to grow and promote within the company and there are always openings, in many different areas, all over the country.

Cons

- Auto Damage Adjuster training is rigorous. 12 weeks of training, with 4 weeks in Washington DC, was definitely a sacrifice for me and my family. GEICO paid for travel, hotel and food for me, but it was tough being gone for so long. My family could have gone with me (GEICO of course wouldn't cover their expenses, but they could have stayed in the same room as me), but that wasn't a viable option for us. During training there are tests pretty much everyday and high GPAs are required to maintain your spot in training, otherwise you're fired. This made for stressful days, but looking back on it, it is all doable and wasn't THAT bad.
    - Some days can be almost overwhelmingly busy. When reported claims are higher than normal (ie after a hail storm), we can have days or weeks that are extremely busy and have a high workload.

Stay ahead of the growth curve by making sure staffing needs are met.

Amazing

Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great promotion opportunity! Job security, great feedback, continuous improvement, positive industry outlook, great customer interaction, amazing compensation

Cons

If you don't like feedback, including constructing feedback, you won't do well here

Keep up the good work!

Very good

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits and availability to move around inside the company. Vacation time. Fmla. Getting experience in multiple fields.

Cons

Very to the book. No room for failure. Must be on time. Goal oriented. Not very stable workforce.

Treat all the same

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company

I worked at GEICO

Pros

good benefits great pay and good hours

Cons

none the choice is great and very well worth it

keep up the good work

Good atmosphere

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's no micro managing & everyone wants the best of you, for you. There's constant movement, so a promotion is always around the corner. The benefits are good, although there's no short term disability. The work schedules are diverse with 8 hr/5 day shift times or 10 hr/4 day shift times. If your numbers are good, you can pick the best work schedule for your life.

Cons

Parking- The company has grown so much that there's not enough parking on site, so you have to park off site then take a shuttle to get to the building. Which means you have to get to work earlier & you can't move your car during lunch (takes up too much of your lunch time).

Great at first

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Great pay and benefits and training

Cons

You can work really hard and get great stats and still never be promoted

Lots of great opportunities to invest in yourself, both financially and professionally.

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent  in  Coralville, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Coralville, IA (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are excellent, profit charing is consistent. Corporate culture is enjoyable. Company constantly aiming for growth in every office and department.

Cons

Easy for tenured agents to get passed up by new hires. Primarily a customer service phone job - taking back-to-back calls all day can wear you down.

Geico

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Macon, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company atmosphere ...a lot of food

Cons

Pay is not where it should be for what you have to deal with...I've heard numerous people complain about promotions .

There are a lot of qualified people from within that are overlooked for promotions/mgmt programs because of brown nosing

As a recent college grad I am making very good money.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for promotions and raises if you are a hard worker. Great pay.

Cons

If you don't like being a total workaholic and never having a home life, it can be a very hard place to advance and earn raises. The metrics system has become far too rigid and allows for little to no error, which is unrealistic, and which makes it difficult to earn raises.

It was very fulfilling and rewarding to work here.

Former Employee - Java Developer  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at GEICO as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The work environment was great, as were the people. There were numerous opportunities for personal growth and that's a big plus.

Cons

Not enough company perks or incentives.

Offer more activities for workers to take part in to promote interaction between each other.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!