GameStop

Updated Mar 10, 2014

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The fun of working with video games, the tedium of working retail.

Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time for less than a year

ProsThe fun of working with video games, and associating with other video game fanatics

ConsThe tedium of working retail can be wearying, but no more than any other job. Selling memberships and plans and the various upgrades is annoying, but every retail job is required to do it, so whatever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive workers more hours, especially if they're talented at selling memberships and upgrades.

Not as great as one would think

SGA (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than a year

ProsGood for game knowledge, great cow-workers, and organized business model.

ConsPay was crappy considering I worked for 2 years and only got a 50 cent raise even though I made it to SGA while have a bachelor's degree. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE EITHER. I was a hard worked SGA that was given 38 hours a week (just under full-time so I was unable to receive benefits). Also they are breaking of California labor laws, which is a huge issue that many ignore. As an opener you are alone in the store and can not leave the store to take your 10 minute break which the law states we are suppose to get. Also, we could get in trouble for closing the store for a few minutes to use the restroom because no other person was in the store at the same time. It's a huge class action lawsuit waiting to happen. I was never able to take my ten minute breaks as a manager because I wasn't allowed to leave the store to anyone that wasn't a keyholder. Personal life was also an issue because as a keyholder you have to work at the mercy of the stores needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider paying employees much better than they make now. Be considerate of college degree employees. More pay and smarter planning will make your employees much happier and thus, more productive.

No chance to grow, no chance to shine.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Glendale, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with video games is fun, as a young guy, at first.

ConsThe management is deplorable, the system is outdated and unfriendly, and the opportunities they will bait you with are non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to care about your employees more. Paying someone who has been working for you for 5+ years, and is doing the work of a manager (because you are too cheap to just hire a new manager/bring one in from another store) 8.90 an hour is terrible.

Your typical retain experience with a pawn shop twist.

Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 8 years

ProsFree video game rentals, yearly raises, free t-shirts from time to time, getting to see the newest games before they come out, employees with similar interests.

ConsLow pay, poor benefits, terrible customers, sometimes have to deal with stolen merchandise, robbed often, often work alone, very little room for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stores more hours (100 minimum for stores that earn over $15k per week), make 3rd Key a position with benefits/time off, allow employees to mute GameStop TV after they close the store.

Short-lived

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a video game store, what's not fun about it?

ConsBarely any hours, most hours go to full-time workers and I was seasonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread out the hours

Fun place with very few hours to spare

Alhambra, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than a year

ProsIts a fun environment. You get to talk about video games all day long, you help/advice people, a little competitive on sales, and cool co-workers!

ConsStores don't give a lot of hours to their employees. If you're not the Manager or Assistant Manager, expect 5 - 10 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe push for pre-orders/Memberships is a bit too much, and your job shouldn't depend on it.
Proper training should be given to new employees
Better advancement oportunities should be given.

Fun, but hard to move up

Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee)
West Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun work environment
Fast pace and always changing

ConsMoving upward in the company is difficult, even with a bachelor's degree

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote overqualified employees that work hard and have high sales numbers

Terrible place to work at.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnly works around school schedule.

ConsDoesn't promote from within. To many affirmative action policies to advance a career in my district.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote equally.

Lackluster and underappreciated

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with fellow gamers. Having inside knowledge of games coming out. Fun enviornment.

ConsAttendance has issues. District manager only sees what he wants to see. Doesnt recognize a good job, and well as be able to coach an under performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have an employee who's only negative thing on her evaluation was to be more available on her days of in case needed...seems like you couldnt really find anything personal. Yes, store numbers were low, but look at the location. So the DM waltzs in not being there everyday and gives a hard working assistant a ,09 raise. yep nine cent raise. My advice know your employees. the good and the bad. Luckiy the person got the ,09 raise had the courage to walk away.

It's a job. Not as much fun as you would think.

Palmdale, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people. The staff and management can be fun to work with. If you are into video games it is nice to be in the know. A wide range of customers to interact with.

ConsHigh pressure sales with no commission. Low pay and high stress sales environment. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your hourly employees. Don't push the Cards and Resos so hard, it turns people off.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.