Garda World Security

1.9

Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

Screening Officer

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Pays Well -Ability to make own schedule

Cons

-Poor management -No chance of growth

-Better management training for the company

2 years security officer

Current Employee - Securiy Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Securiy Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get paid on time, Good uniform

Cons

Firing guards with not acceptable reason

Increasing of wage depends on the job requirments.
    Expectation is higher than standard in most of the sites.

The company motto says "integrity", but I see little of it.

Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of work, high turnover in managers, who come and go and only try to make themselves look good.

Cons

average pay, many payroll errors caused by site supervisors not submitting hours correctly. The managers commit errors that put contracts at risk.

Evaluate your staff, promote based on competency and experience. Identify the poor performers and remove them from sensitive contracts.

If I was the President, I would be embarrassed - YYZ

Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

coworkers - lower management - sympathize with each other when they are being crucified by upper management

Cons

no growth unless you speak French
    Upper management uses staff and throws them under the bus when it's their fault
    Upper management is clueless, naïve, and are majority retired Air Canada employees
    Your manager will mostly likely not know how to be effective manager
    Everyday there is a fear that you will be fired, walking on egg shells no matter if you do your job right
    You have to be "yes" person to survive in the culture, if you do what's right or speak up - you will be fired.

Learn leadership, management, and integrity maybe you won't have so much turnover. Stop promoting GardaWorld as a great place to work you are just lying and wasting candidate's time. Upper management don't be threatened by your staff if they do your job plus your job better than you!

Mr. Crétier if you are ruthless as a leader than kudos to you - your style definitely trickled down throughout your divisions.

Not a good employer, if you're looking for substance...

Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's work and it can pay you.

Cons

Awful management
    More drama than a high school
    Lack of benefits
    No sick pay
    No vacation days
    Management promoted on a brown-nosing basis
    Management does not take responsibility for actions
    Lack of crisis management
    No training for new employees- employees are assigned to sites way beyond their scope and skills and not offered any additional training in advance as basic security training does not cover most aspects of actual, hands-on securit work
    14 hour+ days with awful overtime

More transparency, treat your employees with respect, and pay them what they deserve. They deal with a lot of situations and don't get paid nearly enough.

So unprofessional, they completely under look great leaders

Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is the only reason people stay
    hours are brutal beyond words
    clicky lots of groups
    the managment sells drugs

Cons

opps those were as nice as pros can be...
    clicks
    hours
    management
    disrespect

They explain away their incompetence and tactics as being due to their "Corporate Culture" !!!!!

Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ego massage for some employees yet the majority of coworkers are some of the most upstanding folks I have ever met. I felt that my back was covered.

Cons

The majority of the truck flleet are death traps and a risk to operate by the employees and a danger to the public !!
    Deceit and misrepresentation is the operational business model of Garda. They will lie and cajole in every manner possible to not reimburse employees for expenses they incur that are outlined in the work rules I.E. costs of Licensing and certifications required for you work, being paid under the employee referral program, recognizing and properly paying holiday hours and denying benefit reimbursements. All done BTW to pad the branch budget.
    The company does not pay its bills in any sort of timely manner so mechanics liens get filed against their trucks that they get repaired by outside shops, simple operational support supplies go either unordered or not delivered for months. Management seems to have no eye for organization and cleanliness. COMPANY RULES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE IGNORED AT THE WHIM OF MANAGEMENT. There is no level playing field to allow an employee to have a handle on what is right or wrong but be forever ready to be disciplined if YOU mess up !!! Management does a stellar job of covering each other's tails.

Have some engaged area management that travel and are directly involved in supervising your field operations and listening to the concerns of the Driver / Messengers. Your Branch Managers and the associated Operations managers in the branch network are a patchwork of folks who have reached their level of incompetence and they basically have no direct oversight other than conference calls.

Desperately needs to change

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Garda world was not what I expected. They have more in common with Burger King than security or law enforcement

Cons

Its fedex with a gun, without fedex pay, and without fedex union representation... nothing more needs to be said.

Join at your own peril

Stop neglecting your associates.

One of the worst rated Armored Car Companies on Glassdoors..... For a reason

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work outside far away from the office.... which is a great thing to me
    Get to wear a gun and a uniform that holds a symbol of responsibility and respect
    Company at one point hired great people to work with... those days are gone.

Cons

Garda simply doesn't care about their employees or the plights they put them threw. Garda only seems capable of making decisions and policies that are debilitation to staff moral and capabilities.

At 10.00 dollars an hour with no chances of a fair raise or overtime.... many employees only stay for a year. Meaning heavy company turnover and you will have to constantly parent the new guy on top of your heavy work load.
    To add to the negativity training is not really there, so you will be lucky if you ever get anyone who is an actual professional.

Most employees who stay longer than a year feel stuck and act just like Garda... They do everything they can to exploit time, new hires, and the company so that they can have something positive. Meaning they pimp time, make the new guy do the hard work, make others take the liability, take hand outs from clients, ect.

At 10.00 dollars an hour if the fast food industry is successful in increasing their pay rate to 15.00, I am sure I will quit to go flip burgers. And I am sure Garda will struggle to keep anyone working for this company.

All and all after working for Garda as long as I have I am truly disgusted with how they do business and what they find to be "acceptable."

Here some advice look at employment here as a last option.

You have got to start making some positive changes that affect us.

The writing on the wall speaks

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work outdoors with little supervision, that is until you make it back to your garage.
    Good uniforms but have to pay for just about everything else.
    Some good co-workers trying to make it big somewhere else like most of us are.
    They will give you time off if you absolutely need it

Cons

Its a temporary position for most trying to get into better/real careers. One can't call Garda a career.

Training is very lackadaisical and doesn't represent the troubles or dangers we faced.
    Orientation period is lackadaisical
    Training that does exist sets a very poor image for Garda.

Pay is meager which would be acceptable if training was something that was marketable to higher paying contract security gigs, law enforcement, or the likes. However, pay is a serious issue at Garda and is one of the primary reasons why turnover is high, moral low, and competence level of co-workers questionable. Pay is not worth you possible death or serious physical injury

Overworked, expect 12 hour days, early starts, late dismissals, picking up stops for others, given extra stops for being early, carrying bags that weigh 40+lbs, driving around in traffic, weather delays, customers delaying the whole process, and being blamed for all of the misfortunes this stuff causes your routes. Somehow Garda expects you to be capable of controlling the weather, parting traffic like Moses did to the ocean, and constantly explain to customers why its important for them to be on time and ready to go (so much for the sales force informing and educating the customers )

Many people believe that our trucks are full of three-four man teams... this is a delusional misconceptions. Most trucks are two man crews, and if the company could get away with making them one man they would. Also don't expect to be rockin a shotgun or a rifle, only the BADGUYS get to carry "better" weaponry. Your just a pawn to Garda so they wouldn't waste their time or money training you to use BETTER weaponry or making sure you stay safe with three-four man crews. God forbid Garda's insurance premiums going up because of this.

If it is an extended crew its likely due to an insanely high risk... such as mall moves during Xmans or a Federal Reserve run. Pray its a Fed run cause the feds send their people and they are much better trained and prepared than any of us working for Garda.

Management likes counting their beans not solving issues we face. They read these reviews and just think its a few disgruntled employees, in reality these few reviews highlight serious issues that need solutions; which have remained issues for countless years.

Taking our equipment and comparing it to Fedex or UPS makes it look like we have the hand me downs.

Scheduling is impossible there is no work life balance here.

No time to take your 30 minute lunch or 15 minute breaks you will eat on route in your truck... If you bring food.

Your employees are yours... they are your family... your team... your representatives...

Neglecting them just hurts your business and budget book. And it makes you look unhuman, robotic, and ignorant.

There would be real befits from solving the problems I discussed.