Gartner Reviews

Updated 15 September 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company for motivated sales pros

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Growing company with lots of advancement opportunities
    Very sales focused strategy which mean leadership support and investments in helping you be successful
    Excellent brand and value proposition
    Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance

Cons

Pretty complex sale so ramp up can be slow for some, particularly if background is selling tangible products.
    At times territories can be difficult to manage because of channel conflicts between product groups and geographies

Fantastic development experience

Current Employee - Area Manager  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training, great opportunity to develop and learn. Everyone is helpful and friendly and this creates a great working environment.

Cons

The only challenge is filtering product ideas or changes up the line.

Best place to work for. Incredible culture, and amazing learning opportunities.

Former Employee - Accounts Executive  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Accounts Executive in Sydney

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

connections for life with various cxo
    Incredible learning opp for those interested in enhancing business acumen
    Employee first focus
    Young culture
    Excellent colleagues - collaborative environment

Cons

Average pay
    Mainly sales focused org - less opp elsewhere

You are doing everything well - just pay your employees more
    More room to grow outside sales

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people

Former Employee - Research Director  in  Brisbane
    Former Employee - Research Director in Brisbane

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Great people to work with. Everywhere you go there are smart people. Good place to get a detailed understanding of IT and connect with a lot of companies. In research Gartner will challenge you in all types of ways. Interpersonal skills and analysis skills.

Cons

Travel is a downside. A lot of it. If you are outside of the United States the promotional opportunities are limited

Long term business planning

it should be better

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

the brand name is good, but the action doesnt come through. people get value most of the time if utilised properly.

Cons

dont look after their people. no interest in long term interests, and developing people, and roles. it is a lot of shoot from the hip.its sales at any cost, and dog eats dog within the groups

listen. look . learn. respect your people instead of sniping out loud about people peers.

Their upfront investment in their sales people is like nothing I've ever been a part of-

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have 20-years in I/T...16-years with a large "blue" organization who for good reason, prided themselves on their sales training. After recently returning from Gartner's 5-week long Field Academy and spending weeks away from my family...I can say with confidence that an entirely new standard has been set with respect to sales training. Beyond products, the training leveraged best practices in value selling and the real-life leveraging of nearly all of our internal systems and resources. Every person walked into that training endeavor with relatively zero understanding of the enormity of Gartner's offerings, aside from a Magic Quadrant or Hype Cycle. Coming out, we not only had a clear understanding of our value, we had the ability to immediately own a territory, run our business, leverage our people and systems, and provide immediate value for our future clients. If it sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, perhaps I did...but as many years a professional seller, I cannot envision a better company to have been selected to represent for the second half of my career. Class act - across the board.

Cons

Their training requires two weeks in Ft. Myers Florida, one week remote learning and ride-a-longs from your home office, then two weeks back in Ft. Myers. We were not permitted to go home on the weekends during those two 2-week spans. This made it difficult on many of us with families...especially the women with young children. The rationale here was not explained...therefore caused a certain amount of angst. We came to the assumption that this was intended to provide the opportunity to gather outside of the classroom and create bonds amongst ourselves - perhaps allowing us to create friendships and lean on each other when hitting the field. While this training regiment is mandatory, and clearly spelled out during the interview process, a simple professional explanation as to the rationale for not allowing us to return home on the weekends would have been appreciated. (Even if it was simply a cost-related travel decision) If in fact this was to create a bond, it probably worked, as some of the best memories took place over the weekends...and tears and man-hugs were-a-flowing as we prepared to depart after our graduation. That said, we were all experienced and successful sales professionals - explaining the purpose of the rules would have gone further than simply enforcing them.

The training regiment that you have put together is amazing. Continue to hire the best and brightest and and to make this investment up front. We collectively felt as if the 5-week investment shaved 6-months off of our ramp up time in the field. Work on the content of week 4...as we felt there were areas that were drawn out longer than necessary for the message delivered. During the other 4-weeks, we actually struggled to identify a single half-hour span that wasn't time well spent...impressive. While understanding your not wanting us to lose focus of training, we felt as if it would have been appropriate to deliver us our numbers and accounts in week 4, so that our planning activities, compensation models and pathway to to our objectives could leverage real data...and offer us an additional kick-start advantage.

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've never been at a job with so many long-timers. People who make it through the 1-2 year adjustment period at Gartner often stay for ten years or more. There are lots of good reasons for this: great work-life balance, good benefits, a positive, friendly, highly collaborative atmosphere and rewarding work. There aren't many jerks.

Cons

There are those who seem to advance every year but for the rest of us, it's prudent to plan on spending a long time in the same role without dramatic improvements in your comp.

Court more dissent. At times it feels that people win points for conformity.

I love my job and the brilliant people I work with!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with high performing and motivated people. Immediate and generous benefits, over the top incentive trips for sales.

Cons

Having great management is critical. My experiences have been positive, but I have had peers who did not have a supporting, advocating manager. Manager Training and support has improved so my hope is this weakness has been identified and a solution in place.

Provide generous compensation for those moving up from within the company. Penalizing financial compensation because of previous business unit affiliation or internal salary caps is discouraging to those committed to Gartner and wanting long term careers. It is disheartening to know that one could make more money if they leave the company and return as an external hire rather than receive a promotion. I assure you leadership- this is a well known fact and it damages the brand of this company I love so much and causes us to lose some really good folks.

A very good expwrience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gartner

Pros

The ability to work with c level executives helping them executed a forward thinking business strategy with the enabling of it technologies

Cons

The internet has made the flow if once propriety information much easier and the need to move from subscription service to cionsulting

No advice

Great organization to join from a Research perspective

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst  in  Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Positive culture and environment
    - Clear objectives and targets
    - Very flat structure - senior management are accessible
    - Organization encourages independent thought and opinion

Cons

- Strategic priorities appear to change within the same year
    - Management focus can shift significantly on a year to year basis
    - Highly (too?) metric driven approach to individual assessment

Don't get completely obsessed with the numbers and look beyond those to what matters in reality

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!