Gartner Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company for motivated sales pros

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Growing company with lots of advancement opportunities
    Very sales focused strategy which mean leadership support and investments in helping you be successful
    Excellent brand and value proposition
    Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance

Cons

Pretty complex sale so ramp up can be slow for some, particularly if background is selling tangible products.
    At times territories can be difficult to manage because of channel conflicts between product groups and geographies

Fantastic development experience

Current Employee - Area Manager  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training, great opportunity to develop and learn. Everyone is helpful and friendly and this creates a great working environment.

Cons

The only challenge is filtering product ideas or changes up the line.

Best place to work for. Incredible culture, and amazing learning opportunities.

Former Employee - Accounts Executive  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Accounts Executive in Sydney

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

connections for life with various cxo
    Incredible learning opp for those interested in enhancing business acumen
    Employee first focus
    Young culture
    Excellent colleagues - collaborative environment

Cons

Average pay
    Mainly sales focused org - less opp elsewhere

You are doing everything well - just pay your employees more
    More room to grow outside sales

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people

Former Employee - Research Director  in  Brisbane
    Former Employee - Research Director in Brisbane

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Great people to work with. Everywhere you go there are smart people. Good place to get a detailed understanding of IT and connect with a lot of companies. In research Gartner will challenge you in all types of ways. Interpersonal skills and analysis skills.

Cons

Travel is a downside. A lot of it. If you are outside of the United States the promotional opportunities are limited

Long term business planning

it should be better

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

the brand name is good, but the action doesnt come through. people get value most of the time if utilised properly.

Cons

dont look after their people. no interest in long term interests, and developing people, and roles. it is a lot of shoot from the hip.its sales at any cost, and dog eats dog within the groups

listen. look . learn. respect your people instead of sniping out loud about people peers.

Weak middle sales management.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top notch subject matter experts, who are very bright and willing to support the clients. True subject matter experts. Same for the Client Partners that support the sales team. Pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Weak sales leadership at Area Director and Regional VP level. Seem to be people who were promoted due to strong sales ability, but with no regard for their leadership skills and/or talents. Little apparent regard for balancing territories to help ensure success of the team instead of the few good old boy/girl favorites. Very tactical and transactional focus versus strategic "long" term client focus. Very cookie cutter approach to the sales process with little support for creativity. This approach has proven effective from a corporate results perspective, so they are gettiing the results they want, but it drives out the senior sales people who may be able to make and even greater contribution.

Consider hiring proven professional sales leadership and embrace the creativity that they bring to the field operations.

Best Job Ever

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where else can you be a part of setting strategy for your clients? Direct access to CIO's and executive team, with the ability to really make a difference and bring value to every meeting because of the excellent analyst community (i.e. 'product') that Gartner offers. I work from home, manage my own schedule and my boss is not at all a micro-manager. He expects a strong work ethic and excellent results, and he gets it.

Cons

At a corporate level, I have some concerns with how Gartner manages clients 'geographically' as it creates situations in which you are competing against your peers in other regions; also with executives maintaining more than one office it is often not clear where 'home base' is, which means everything in terms of how the growth is recognized and how that client is managed.

Even though I am extremely satisfied in my job and with Gartner, I am still looking for 'what's next.' Can I really expect to grow THIS territory 20% yoy? What roles could I move into without having to move my family to another state (I'm remote)? You're doing a great job and literally the only thing I can come up with is "Consider what your long-term strategy is for retention of the sales force, which as you know typically carries notoriously high turnover rates."

The best place to continuously learn, grow and develop

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like being in a challenging environment where you are always looking to push yourself, then Gartner is the place for you. The people at Gartner are world class and make up an incredible culture. You are constantly working with smart and driven people both inside the company and with your clients. The company has a clearly defined strategy that has served its clients and associates well.

Cons

As a Company that is always trying to improve and grow sometimes it is hard to relax and reflect on what you are accomplishing

Stay the course and don't lose your focus on your people

Great environment

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Surrounded by curious individuals willing to learn, help each other and find new ways to help our clients make the most of their investments. It's definitely an environment that is focused on making their sales teams better and doing things the right way.

Cons

Nothing too dissimilar with other large entities. It's what you make of it and how you work with people, do the right thing and generally things turn out as they should.

Continue to focus on new markets and investing in the resources to support clients and the sales teams.

A terrific place to work

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

-Smart people; Interesting work; Interesting industry

Cons

-None that I can think of

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!