Gartner

Gartner Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall

Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work(in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class(in 16 reviews)

Good company for motivated sales pros

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGrowing company with lots of advancement opportunities
    Very sales focused strategy which mean leadership support and investments in helping you be successful
    Excellent brand and value proposition
    Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance

ConsPretty complex sale so ramp up can be slow for some, particularly if background is selling tangible products.
    At times territories can be difficult to manage because of channel conflicts between product groups and geographies

Fantastic development experience

Area Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat training, great opportunity to develop and learn. Everyone is helpful and friendly and this creates a great working environment.

ConsThe only challenge is filtering product ideas or changes up the line.

Best place to work for. Incredible culture, and amazing learning opportunities.

Accounts Executive (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosconnections for life with various cxo
    Incredible learning opp for those interested in enhancing business acumen
    Employee first focus
    Young culture
    Excellent colleagues - collaborative environment

ConsAverage pay
    Mainly sales focused org - less opp elsewhere

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing everything well - just pay your employees more
    More room to grow outside sales

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people

Research Director (Former Employee) Brisbane

ProsGreat people to work with. Everywhere you go there are smart people. Good place to get a detailed understanding of IT and connect with a lot of companies. In research Gartner will challenge you in all types of ways. Interpersonal skills and analysis skills.

ConsTravel is a downside. A lot of it. If you are outside of the United States the promotional opportunities are limited

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term business planning

it should be better

Vice President (Current Employee)

Prosthe brand name is good, but the action doesnt come through. people get value most of the time if utilised properly.

Consdont look after their people. no interest in long term interests, and developing people, and roles. it is a lot of shoot from the hip.its sales at any cost, and dog eats dog within the groups

Advice to Senior Managementlisten. look . learn. respect your people instead of sniping out loud about people peers.

Great place to learn and make a difference for your clients. But, management struggles to motivate.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule (if working remotely) and you make a significant impact to the clients that you work with. Great to work with and learn from the Gartner analyst team. Also, provide great training to equip you with the knowledge to approach CXO's. Also, well respected brand which is great for your resume.

ConsHigh growth company means that sales territories are shrinking, and with it earnings opportunity. Mid level management does not motivate and pushes a transactional model on what should be a strategic sales model. There seems to be a mismatch between manager goals and sales compensation. CRM is outdated which leads to duplication of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you offer your top performers the same opportunity and earnings today, that you did in the past. Do not promote the best reps, promote the best leaders who will inspire and motivate.

Great People, Great Companpy

Account Executive (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsLevel of talent, brand recognition, great sales leadership

ConsPricing, access model for clients, subscription based and non-tangible asset

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership, great vision. Continue to try and find more flexible access models for teams, document sharing, etc...

I love it here!

Principal Research Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsPositive work environment with a lot of room for growth both in and outside your direct organization. People are willing to help you learn and happy to see you succeed. I feel valued as an employee.

ConsI really don't have any cons, I really like the company.

Great products, great people.

Corporate Function (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHigh calibre people, everywhere! Super products and an excellent brand.

ConsCan be political, especially in corporate functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept international operations will not be identical to US.

Best place I've ever worked

Inside Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL (US)

ProsUncapped earning potential, world travel, exciting atmosphere.

ConsHard to move up internally, most high level managers look outside of the company for outside sales

Advice to Senior ManagementMove people around every 2/3 years based on personal performance. This way you'll keep your top talent eager to learn/move to the next level

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!