Genentech

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you dont fit the clique, you are ousted...no matter how hard you work

Materials Operations Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

ProsBig Company with stability and future growth since they became Roche.

ConsContractors are alienated. Also, be ready to get on the lemmings train...conform....or goodbye
 to you. The funny thing is, they try to push outside the box thinking....but shun you when you speak up.
And this coming from MULTIPLE people ( more ex employees as well) = Way too much Politics and drama in Oceanside.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to manage every aspect of every person. Some people are good at certain things and not so much at others. Don't use tactics like upgrading a system to relieve yourself from people that are less fortunate.
Also, Introverts are not bad people. Some of the greatest minds ever were that way.

Manufacturing Bioprocess Technician

Manufacturing Bioprocess Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, pay, 401k, vacation (3 weeks plus 6 week sabbatical every 6 years) sick time. Great overall work force. Positive environment.

ConsOverworked, no time to self develop.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to slow down sometimes to allow us to improve on current issues.

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent benefits
High-performance culture
Company cares about its employees and patients
Promotes diversity and inclusion more than any employer I have ever worked for

ConsA lot of unneccessary bureaucracy especially when dealing with corporate functions
Less altruistic since Roche took over
Difficult to move up from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange HR practices that make it difficult for people to move up as quickly from within. So many people leave and then come back, getting hired at a salary and level they would have had to wait years to achieve from within.

Great place to work

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat culture and people. lots of opportunity to learn.

Consbe careful of politics. there is a lot.

Advice to Senior Managementcare about employees' career development

Good, but not for long

Operations Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genentech

ProsPeople - They are great to work with. Also, great perks.

ConsManagement highly incompetent in identifying and promoting talent. The louder you are the faster you get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on identifying true talent, hard work and take efforts to retain them.

Good but depends on manager

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech

ProsLots of great experiences, can very challenging. A lot of great people who are willing to help you out when needed.

ConsSome managers are very incompetent, which is sad. Was so much better before the Roche take over no matter how much Roche tries to pretend it's all the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementExamine what projects are given to your interns. Chances are it reflects a lot about the department. The more challenging the projects to the interns. The more competent the department.

Great place to work

Process Development Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech

ProsGreat Pay, support system, friendly people

ConsNo downside really, interns get no benefits.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Manufacturing in Genentech

Bioprocess Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genentech

ProsBenefits package, bonus and money. Free fountain drinks and a beautiful facility. Monthly celebrations (open bar) a plus.

ConsThe job here is a repetitive one that a monkey could do. There is no real opportunity to move on to other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with your employees. Try to at least pretend you're they're friend.

Genentech is a great company but each site is different

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech

ProsI liked the value Genentech (Corporation) placed on employee satisfaction. I feel that as a corporation Genentech shares information that impacts us at the appropriate time and trust's its employees to be professional about the information. I also liked the stability the company has attained, this affords them the ability to have extra non-routine benefits such as HoHos, Incentives, recognition programs, free drinks etc. Genentech's bonus structure is also very generous given the company has a good year. I also liked the resources available for professional development. I was able to take numerous internal courses that helped develop my skills. The Genentech facilities are also very confortable to work in with wide open spaces.

ConsThe culture at the particular site where I worked at was not very rewarding. The site tends to elicit competition with the other sites. This is a very uncomfortable situation when you are representing the site on a cross site project. Another downside is that although Genentech is flexible with your time, Genentech expects 120% from everyone, on average. However, they encourage that you balance work / life. In addition, at the site I worked at, it feels as if the ones that stretch themselves and take the challenges are not necessarily the ones that are rewarded. It sometime feels as if they prefer a more quiet behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to focus on the work being accomplished and embrace individuality. It is individuality and sharing of ideas (be it same or different) that results in positive change.

Greatest place to work with some continuous improvement prospects.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genentech

ProsCareer opportunities, benefits, ability to make a difference

ConsSmall company mentality, trying to operate as big company

Advice to Senior ManagementHold middle management accountable for results. Leadership competecies can not be taught. You can not teach people to behave. Some managers continue to be managers even though they are not 'people' oriented. This is the proverbial 'worm in the apple'. This continues to be a great company, but the few 'worms' infect our culture daily. They are the blockers, naysers, the ones that can not and will not adapt to change. Performance management should work these people out of the system-or at least in positions that do not toxify the rest of the employees that enjoy the impact they make in the daily work they perform.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!

Genentech Videos

Genentech – Why Work for Us?

Changing the Course of Medicine When you work at Genentech, you'll come to understand that changing the course of medicine requires the kind of inspiration that can only come from a combined commitment to patients… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genentech reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark . All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Genentech employees.