Generac Power Systems

Aaron Jagdfeld

look elseware (

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGave me a job when I was Laid off (low balled wages and vacation)

Cons1. low wages (engineer)
2. clueless management (no experience and talk down to a professional with more than 20 years of experience
3. absolutely will not pay mileage to drive 25 miles between facilities (as a professional expect to run from one office to another for company business (subtract at least, the cost , of a tank of gas from your wages weekly))
4. worst benefits I have ever had as an engineer
5. the place is filthy and old (offices, the factory floor is worse)
6. 3 bathrooms for 1000 employees
7. no lunchroom (office people eat at their desk and factory employees sit on boxes or eat in their car
8. management is completely disorganized
9. program documentation is about 20 years behind the times
10. 2 weeks vacation for a professional with more than 20 years experience (they told me absolutely not negotiable
11. the only reason to take a job at generac is because you need money coming in until you find a real job
12. In managements mind all software cost too much, so forget about having microsoft project, fea, mini tab, etc
13. hardly any promotions from within
14. people leave both the office and the factory floor, to find better positions regularly (thats why they have so many openings, all the time)(my department lost 9 people last year)
15. Never take a contract position at generac. (serious 2nd class treatment and if they ask you to go direct (almost never) they low ball the wages.

Advice to Senior Management1 pay wages that are comparable to others in the market and hire real experienced managers (or better yet, train people from within instead of pulling in unknown talent from outside)

Too much management

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

ProsThey're remodeling the entire building so at least you will have that to look forward to. They just build a cafeteria so there's that.

ConsNon-designers get to share their opinion on everything and weigh in with their personal opinions that have no research to back it up.

material handler

Material Handler (Current Employee)
Whitewater, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsVery nice environment, co workers, and supervisors.

ConsOvertime is mandatory and not much notice is given when they want you to work. Warehouse is unorganized and a little behind the times technology wise. Ordering system is from the dark ages and material is constantly over ordered.

Overall great place to work!

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

ProsGenerac is a company with integrity that cares about it's employees.

Consculture is a little bit behind, but trying to catch up.

Good company, low pay

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

ProsThey will teach you a lot and make sure you completely understand your job.
Every supervisor I had but one was awesome and really seemed to care about the employees.
Opportunities for growth within company.
Solid Benefits

ConsLower than average pay scale for the industry at least for production workers
Mandatory overtime up to 60 hours a week
Time is not given off without a consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost management does their job very well. To one I would say to get to know your employees a bit more and don't just give negative feedback if you are not going to give positive feedback when one goes above and beyond

Every company has its good points and bad - Generac is no exception.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Generac Power Systems

ProsGenerac depends heavily on the individual efforts of its workers (read tribal knowledge). You also get exposure to a large variety of manufacturing methods. On a related note, the project content can be quite diverse. So, if you're an enterprising self stater,you can build up a resume quite quickly. Additionally, since the turnover is so high, it's easy to find good references. Generac is a good stepping stone. By and large, the people you work with are knowlegable, dedicated, and friendly. The environment itself is enjoyable. Although being the new guy on the block can be difficult, after a 1-2 years, you'll find your part of the fabric of Generac (there always seem to be new people arriving). Generac can be a rewarding place to work, but you had best be happy in the position you hire in as because few advancement growth opportunities exist in product development. That also means you should be sure to negotiate a starting salary that you're happy with as well.

ConsFirst, be aware that Generac has a very old school culture. If you work for Generac, your going to wear a tie. Second, If you're in product development, there is very little room for advancement. Generac doesn't groom or develop internal candidates for management positions in product development. Although, I find that this statement isn't true on the manufacturing side of the business. When I left, Generac had hired about 7 new product development managers off the street - not one internal candidate was promoted (and a few talented individuals do exist). Last item, the Generac insurance is difficult to do correctly (worse than average). There is a price for having cost effective health care. Plan on getting to know your administrators.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop the revolving door. I've never had a problem with my immediate manager. I don't think that is where the problem is.

A place to work when you can`t find anywhere else

Eagle, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

ProsThe work is easy with not much thought involved.Able to change jobs or departments(just takes forever) If you keep your head down and do your job you wont have any problems.

ConsThe pay seems substandard. Management is terrible,with very few exceptions.Have a question or something is not working the way it should who should you ask? A supervisor seems logical,no not here all they know is their "effectivity "reports,and don`t seem to have the time or knowledge to answer questions or address concerns you may have or they will "get back to you",which seldom happens.A general lack of respect toward manufacturing employees.Training is very substandard,a you`ll figure it out,atomsphere

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Generac a place people want to stay,not a place people are waiting to leave.
Drop the elitist management attitiude,have supervisors learn and know their area. Show respect to the people you supervise or manage.Pay quality employees a quality wage(outside of the office too)

Great place to grow

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

ProsGood place if you are a self starter and don't mind working hard

ConsThe corporate office could use major updating

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more focused on the customers

Would stay away, does damage to your career

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Generac Power Systems

ProsLeader in power generation. The company has respected products in their market and a great history. High potential for growth if changes are made to improve relations with employees and pay scale.

ConsManagement is very ignorant of employees and respect they give. Very sub standard pay scales for area in technical help. Turnover is very high because of work environment and no attempt to improve it. There is a lack of a coordinated plan to manage projects to complete on time. Very vertically managed company with old school employees at odds with new innovative thinkers that could move this company into a higher class.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to address poor reputation as an employer in the area. Most people either get stung by this company and leave or stay away because of its reputation. Remove old school work environment office rules and become flexible and respect diversity.

Great place to work

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

ProsFantastic opportunities for those willing to work hard. Promotions from within encourage employees at all levels to make the most of their opportunity at the company.

ConsFast paced environment can be too much pressure for some. But for those that put high energy into it, they are rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work - continue to communicate your strategy with all levels of the organization and people will continue to work hard for the company!

Worked for Generac Power Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Generac Power Systems reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld. All 29 reviews are posted anonymously by Generac Power Systems employees.