Generac Power Systems

Generac Power Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld

Aaron Jagdfeld

Great place for growth as a Designer in the Mechanical Engineering field.

Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced environment, a growing industry, a growing company with good benefits, good vacation package, and quarterly bonuses. Company specific training available (not necessarily position specific)

ConsToo many processes or lack thereof can make work frustrating and stressful when things are happening at a blistering pace. This in turn causes for cranky overworked employees....
Room for growth but you will eventually hit a "promotion ceiling" if you do not have a 4-year degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter systems (centralized system) and better processes (not more processes) will create better workflow and less confusion.

Good company, good team leads.

General Laborer (Former Employee)
Whitewater, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsThe management is great. A lot of overtime, so the paychecks are nice and big. Good work is recognized and rewarded. Management understands that the work is a bit mind-numbing, so they offer daily lunch deals from around town and occasionally free Gatorade. Always get your breaks.

ConsThe starting pay is a bit low. It is factory work, so it can get pretty repetitious and become boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrug test to give better pay.

Good starting point for those interested in a career in Power Generation

Territory Development Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearned a tremendous amount about stand-by power generation. Most sales positions are field based, company supplied vehicle, laptop, cell phone, gas card and company credit card for business expenses

ConsCompany cars now have GPS trackers for "insurance purposes" but in reality its used to track your movements. Bonus formula at that time were based on several factors that as a Territory Manager you had no control over and formula was undecipherable. Compensation was average for outside sales, inside sales compensation was horrible, less than 30K.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your Territory Managers more authority to address customer service issues with major accounts, especially regarding equipment failures and end user warranty issues.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

High-paced, promising company that isn't afraid to push.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems for more than a year

ProsYoung company in a promising industry. Strong future, once the necessary moves have been made.

ConsLack of processes and procedures can cause for chaotic times; Corporate feel isn't for everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within for a change.

Great at the start, OK through the middle and then draining at the end.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of good opportunities while company was private. Pay good for well qualified employees, and regular bonuses. Improving the work environment by refurbishing HQ building (new lunchroom - finally).

ConsLack of ideas on preparing employees for promotion, dysfunctional internal posting. Losing cohesive vision by creating intra-divisional rivalry - could lead to loss of optimal decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees to advance them rather than continuously hire outside. This will breed loyalty and maintain the culture which made Generac successful.

Over managed

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsField based, visit corporate once per quarter

ConsgPS tracker on company vehicles Nd they use it constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire. Stock benefits , opened at 14 about 4 years ago, now trading in the $50 dollar range. Stock options for executives, all became millionaires overnight. Employees had to buy through their personal broker at the public price

Senior Engineer

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is growing; more resources being added & people being hired. You get to work on some really cool stuff. My boss does a good job training me. Great benefits.

ConsVery slow to change "That is not the Generac Way" is the reason given to shoot down new ideas. Salary is only average

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like a global publicly traded company and stop doing things just because that is they way you've always done them.

Unhappy of the lack of direction and professionalism regarding the company policies adhered to or deviated from.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany Growth needs a vast overhaul of fair treatment of employees. Make company values a living, breathing reality for ALL associates!

ConsFailure of follow-through concerning training and development of valuable human resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet you professional act together!

Applications Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility when it comes to purchasing new equipment on the rare ocassions that they do, management doesn't take forever to justify the purchase of equipment.

Cons"That is the way we've always done it" attitude of management. Unprofessional work policies from Human Resources. Generac was started in a garage and still runs like it is in a garage.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize your mindset and your policies.

This place is horrible - stay away at all costs!

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you like working 80 hours a week and still get treated like crap, you will like it here.

ConsWhere do you even start? The expectations are off the charts what anyone can do. They expect you to be super-human. Even if you are, they will still treat you very poorly. Almost no promotions from within (because everyone sucks). The planning is terrible, it changes weekly or daily. There is a reason they always have 30+ openings in engineering, because no one wants to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow. Treating people like crap is not a good management strategy. Stop blaming the employees and look at yourself.

Worked for Generac Power Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Generac Power Systems reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld. All 29 reviews are posted anonymously by Generac Power Systems employees.