General Motors

General Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

RA Coordinator (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat benefits
    Work/life blaance
    sustainable company
    large product range
    good team work
    good managerial skills

ConsHR failed to evaluate what my goals were and failed to provide the right kind of support in reaching it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to check with employees about their career path rather than just assuming.

General Motors Intern

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI (US)

ProsThe people that work here are awesome. As an intern, I never had the feeling of being unable to ask someone for help. People are busy but they are more than welcome to take some time to explain things. They will also take time out of their day to explain what their job is or what their function does. Depending on who you get for a supervisor/manager has a big impact on how your experience is.

ConsGeneral Motors is a slower moving company but that comes with size.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some of your influence to implement what your employees are suggesting. Also, do not put all your effort to reaching the short goals. Try to focus on implementing some of the suggestions from employees and meeting your goals will follow.

like working for the GM in general

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI (US)

Pros*Great* people to work with, as an engineer,
    Good work/life balance,
    Compensation/Job security in general is better than competitors

ConsPromotion opportunity is limited and does not go to the right person necessarily
    "Diversity" simply does not apply when it comes to promotion to executives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work, Excellent oportunity to start a Carrer, The Best Company I have worked for.

Design Release Engineer (Former Employee) Toluca, México (Mexico)

ProsGood Work enviroment, Continuous Salary Promotions, Employee Benefits. Great Working Hours, A lot of participation and Decision making, Management support,The company allows you to grow professionally.

ConsDepends on each person, If you can work under pressure, that happens all the time, or you work under goals and you have your own pressure and work at your own pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot advice but a comment. Great Management support for the teams with their task and issues.

Production assembly

ProsGood team atmosphere, typically the supervisors work well with the employees. reasonably good benefits. Tuition assistance benefits. Reasonably secure paycheck. Small clothing allowance.

ConsAt times dangerous, exposure to chemical fumes from machining operations, can be noisy depending on where you are assigned. Lunch periods are short so you do not have time to go out for lunch and the cafeteria services are not very good.

Many opportunities, great people, and interesting, challenging work

Director (Current Employee) Warren, MI (US)

ProsOpportunity to develop great products with top notch resources available and opportunities for continued growth and learning.

ConsWork/life balance can be a challenge working in a global company

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a strong customer focus. Keep the product portfolio the right size to compete efficiently with other OEMs.

Design & Release

Design Release Engineer (Former Employee) Torino (Italy)

ProsGood technical growth possibility, especially from the development process standpoint, with good recognition from outer companies. Possible to 'touch' the whole passenger car powertrain development roll out. Good working environment (even with high workload) and fear employer (typical US large company compliance).

ConsHigh working pressure, personal growth limited (but better than Italian average), suffering from automotive and Italian nation crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore care about real HR management and development.

A satisfying career with many opportunities.

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI (US)

ProsThe best reasons for working at General Motors was the pay level. The pay was good although I worked many long hours. I was, however, compensated for overtime hours.

ConsThe culture at General Motors was large and slow moving. It was a challenge , at times, to try to accomplish ideas and projects. It would take time to move through channels to accomplish your goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive talented people the leeway to run with ideas to help the company.

Fun job and wide range of opportunities within your function

Assistant Communications Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and benefits were good (including 18 paid holidays) with frequent raises, promotions or opportunities to move within the function, whether or not you have relevant experience. The jobs I had were always a lot of fun and I was friends with most of the people I worked with.

ConsIt was frustrating that they could take the same position and fill it with someone with a high level person with 20 years experience (and pay them for that) and then the next moment fill the same position with someone with hardly any experience at a much lower level and pay band. It doesn't make sense that level and compensation varys so much when the job description and requirements remain the same throughout.

Great! Probably because I have an amazing supervisor and manager!

Design Release Engineer Support (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI (US)

ProsEVERYONE is so nice and helpful. Very warm and friendly atmosphere. Positive energy here!

ConsRules are generally glossed over

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!