General Motors

General Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional(in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging(in 14 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours(in 22 reviews)

Good

RA Coordinator (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat benefits
    Work/life blaance
    sustainable company
    large product range
    good team work
    good managerial skills

ConsHR failed to evaluate what my goals were and failed to provide the right kind of support in reaching it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to check with employees about their career path rather than just assuming.

A satisfying career with many opportunities.

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI (US)

ProsThe best reasons for working at General Motors was the pay level. The pay was good although I worked many long hours. I was, however, compensated for overtime hours.

ConsThe culture at General Motors was large and slow moving. It was a challenge , at times, to try to accomplish ideas and projects. It would take time to move through channels to accomplish your goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive talented people the leeway to run with ideas to help the company.

Fun job and wide range of opportunities within your function

Assistant Communications Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and benefits were good (including 18 paid holidays) with frequent raises, promotions or opportunities to move within the function, whether or not you have relevant experience. The jobs I had were always a lot of fun and I was friends with most of the people I worked with.

ConsIt was frustrating that they could take the same position and fill it with someone with a high level person with 20 years experience (and pay them for that) and then the next moment fill the same position with someone with hardly any experience at a much lower level and pay band. It doesn't make sense that level and compensation varys so much when the job description and requirements remain the same throughout.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great! Probably because I have an amazing supervisor and manager!

Design Release Engineer Support (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI (US)

ProsEVERYONE is so nice and helpful. Very warm and friendly atmosphere. Positive energy here!

ConsRules are generally glossed over

Good employer

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Warren, MI (US)

ProsLots of resources. Many highly qualified and talented people. Reasonable work life balance.

ConsLots of management. Lots of meetings. Slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer levels of management and a flatter organization would help. Stop the promotion based on how many directors you know process.

Great Pay but too mediocre

Overpack Picker/Bulk Driver (Former Employee) Bolingbrook, IL (US)

ProsEasy work load, unionized, and great pay.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement and management was constantly changing because they were under contract.

It's a job not a career you are a temporary employee with little benefits for at least 2 years at Lockport i was 21 y/o.

Cabbie/Machine Operator (Current Employee) Lockport, NY (US)

Prosthe best part was the pay. hard to get fired all you have to do is fallow really basic rules, and come in on time, go on breaks and return when scheduled (this has leeway). do your job to the ability of an average 40 year old could make due with. about an hour worth of breaks each day, they are split apart.

Consworst part was the repetitive work.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on doing what you are doing, you're not bad at all stop being hard butts sometimes and be more friendly and be more firm with rules with quality issues.

Great place to work

Facilities (Current Employee) Warren, MI (US)

ProsWorking in the plant is never boring.

ConsThere are not enough minutes in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make the mistake again by pushing all the older people out.

The opportunities for advancement are all up to you!

Team Leader (Current Employee) Roanoke, IN (US)

ProsThe benefits package, education & training are at your finger tips, always trying to become a better company

ConsThe culture on the shop floor is not for the timid. Diiversity is more prominent in the UAW than management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam Leaders need more support from management.Y Group Leaders need to be accountable for there Teams taking advantage of Team Leaders. You put Team Leaders in awkward position by giving them management tasks but no power to do anything about it. Also Team Leaders need educated on how to deal with difficult Team Members, & when you have a habitual offending Team, Management needs to deal directly with the situation & not tiptoe around it, just because they are afraid they will turn down Over Time. Making a Team watch a movie about Diversity won't work, you have to specifically call them out on their specific actions otherwise there is never a team that can work as a real team because they are working against the Team Leaders purposely. If you have a Group Leader who has personal knowledge of these situations & does nothing about it they are just as Guilty in creating the Hostile work environment & that is not good management. A GM employee should be able to go to work & do their job to the best of their ability with no drama. Management should shut drama down bite it in the bud before it gets out of control! This is a nightmare waiting to happen, also a lawsuit!

The New GM

Buyer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsExcellent work / life balance

ConsSome of the internal processes are very slow to change with a organization of that size

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are on tract to ensuring the longevity of the company as a global leader. Keep on the path.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!