Genesis HealthCare

www.genesishcc.com

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Genesis HealthCare – “Kennett Clock Tower”

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.

George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay(in 7 reviews)

• Close to home, great co-workers(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management(in 17 reviews)

• patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care(in 13 reviews)

Better than some companies to work for. They try not to lay off employees.

Prosproductivity is reasonable compared to some other companies

ConsHaving to drive between facilities to get your hours when you have a low census at your own facility.

Great until I was laid-off

Program Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsPay, benefits, 'autonomy', no micro-managing

ConsNo advancement, company cutbacks, upper management leaves you in the dark

Advice to Senior ManagementJob was great, but business model is flawed. They won't make therapists work 'off the clock' but demand unrealistic productivity. Company expanded too much in the western US and did not properly set up clinics for success. Upper management does not keep middle management in the loop until you are hit with a bombshell.

Good first job experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat rehab team to work with, wonderful coworkers.

ConsI don't agree with some of the procedures related to diet management

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease understanding of rehab (facility specific)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Feel the burn out

Occupational Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsHigh pay for new grads and if you have ever dreamed of being a well educated slave have I got the company for you.

ConsI was sold on a pack of lies, the recruiter said there would be a mentoring program. There is none. The only mentoring I received was how to run, bill non- stop, and be just ethical enough to not lose your license. You are never allowed to be tired or sick, but don't dream of calling out if you are sick, unless you want to feel the wrath of your manager. This is due to the insane pressure put on managers for productivity. Their bonuses are based on staff productivity. No raises this year either and we got to sit in on a call letting us know it's our fault. Corporate eliminated 90% of support staff you have to complete your own payroll, scheduling, & patient transport. Even with doctorates we punch time in and out for everything like it's McDonald's. 84% productivity for therapists & 89% for assistants. Contracts have decreased base hours to 35 a week to be considered full time & vacation time is pro-rated down if you don't work enough hours weekly even though you have NO control over each building's census you will loose vacation time. If you quit too soon after a vacation you have to pay back your hours. Employees are forcibly transferred after hire to buildings with higher needs. They will take away from 401 K matching if you leave before 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare a computer with 15 co-workers & tell me how your day goes.

good times, bad times, no better or worse than any other rehab company

PTA (Former Employee) Chester, PA (US)

Prosgreat place to learn your discipline, great variety of patient diagnosis.
    rehab staff is great to work with,

Consproductivity expectations are unrealistic when you consider the geriatric population is mostly sick and tired, rarely does the day go smoothly to see all patients in such a way that ensures 90% productivity.

Advice to Senior Managementspend a day in a rehab gym and experience what challenges are present that get in the way of high productivity and treating patients for unreasonably high minutes.

Company promotes values that are just what you'd hope for in a healthcare company.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsMost employees work together as a team at all levels of the organization. Compassionate and quality care is delivered 99% of the time.

ConsLimited resources due to cost constraints, but that is indicative of the industry, medical reimbursement rates need to go up in Mass. Workload expectations of employees at all levels is high.

Genesis is a very good company to work for

Housekeeper (Former Employee) Riverside, Charles, MD (US)

ProsVery good management team in Human Resources.

ConsVery slow respons to hire new empoyees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more consideration in empoying new empoyees.

What can I say!

CNA (Current Employee)

ProsNeeded a job real fast.

ConsOther Employees in the same boat!

Advice to Senior ManagementRework the system...

Genesis

ProsExcellent health care benefits. Flexibility in work schedules. At some facilities, a good atmosphere of mutual support among employees.

ConsHigh stress, low pay, especially at higher professional levels. Chronically understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a high turnover rate primarily due to work overload burnout. My guess is that any money the company gains by understaffing is lost through the constant training of new employees and customer dissatisfaction due to the instability the high turnover causes.

Great fellow employees

ProsAdministration practiced open door policy

ConsCorporate support and encouragement lacking

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!