Genesis HealthCare
www.genesishcc.com Kennett Square, PA 5000+ Employees

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Genesis HealthCare – “Kennett Clock Tower”

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.

George V. Hager Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Mentor program, good benefits package"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management"
    in 15 reviews
  • "patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Get your feet wet and then move on...

Staff Nurse (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare for more than a year

ProsGreat place to learn and practice nursing foundations; the nurses all work together to ensure patient satisfaction

ConsHigh nurse to patient ratio; high turnover; low morale; paperwork seems to be more important than the care of patient; lack of managerial support; stagnation; lack of compassion from admin

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee appreciation goes a long way. Listen to us. Treat us with respect. Stop promoting people based on their "looks". It's evident the company wants a certain "look" to represent them. Making new nurses managers just because they "look" the part is NOT a smart idea. It goes to their heads and they don't have the skills (or experience) to back up their decisions/actions.

Entry Level Position

Marketing Representative (Current Employee)
Owings Mills, MD (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

ProsThey offered good benefits at the time.

ConsThey were inflexible as far as policies were concerned, and not willing to consider an employee issue on a case0by-case basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more human.

Good first job experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time

ProsGreat rehab team to work with, wonderful coworkers.

ConsI don't agree with some of the procedures related to diet management

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease understanding of rehab (facility specific)

Great until I was laid-off

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

ProsPay, benefits, 'autonomy', no micro-managing

ConsNo advancement, company cutbacks, upper management leaves you in the dark

Advice to Senior ManagementJob was great, but business model is flawed. They won't make therapists work 'off the clock' but demand unrealistic productivity. Company expanded too much in the western US and did not properly set up clinics for success. Upper management does not keep middle management in the loop until you are hit with a bombshell.

Company promotes values that are just what you'd hope for in a healthcare company.

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost employees work together as a team at all levels of the organization. Compassionate and quality care is delivered 99% of the time.

ConsLimited resources due to cost constraints, but that is indicative of the industry, medical reimbursement rates need to go up in Mass. Workload expectations of employees at all levels is high.

good times, bad times, no better or worse than any other rehab company

PTA (Former Employee)
Chester, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat place to learn your discipline, great variety of patient diagnosis.
rehab staff is great to work with,

Consproductivity expectations are unrealistic when you consider the geriatric population is mostly sick and tired, rarely does the day go smoothly to see all patients in such a way that ensures 90% productivity.

Advice to Senior Managementspend a day in a rehab gym and experience what challenges are present that get in the way of high productivity and treating patients for unreasonably high minutes.

Great fellow employees

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

ProsAdministration practiced open door policy

ConsCorporate support and encouragement lacking

Feel the burn out

Occupational Therapist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh pay for new grads and if you have ever dreamed of being a well educated slave have I got the company for you.

ConsI was sold on a pack of lies, the recruiter said there would be a mentoring program. There is none. The only mentoring I received was how to run, bill non- stop, and be just ethical enough to not lose your license. You are never allowed to be tired or sick, but don't dream of calling out if you are sick, unless you want to feel the wrath of your manager. This is due to the insane pressure put on managers for productivity. Their bonuses are based on staff productivity. No raises this year either and we got to sit in on a call letting us know it's our fault. Corporate eliminated 90% of support staff you have to complete your own payroll, scheduling, & patient transport. Even with doctorates we punch time in and out for everything like it's McDonald's. 84% productivity for therapists & 89% for assistants. Contracts have decreased base hours to 35 a week to be considered full time & vacation time is pro-rated down if you don't work enough hours weekly even though you have NO control over each building's census you will loose vacation time. If you quit too soon after a vacation you have to pay back your hours. Employees are forcibly transferred after hire to buildings with higher needs. They will take away from 401 K matching if you leave before 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare a computer with 15 co-workers & tell me how your day goes.

What can I say!

CNA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time for more than 10 years

ProsNeeded a job real fast.

ConsOther Employees in the same boat!

Advice to Senior ManagementRework the system...

Great corporation, poor management at this facility, revolving door, always short-staffed

Nurse (Former Employee)
Mount Olive, NC (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat coworkers, teamwork, salary and benefits

Consmandatory non-optional increase in work days, secondary to staff shortage;threatened to reduce to every other weekend, part-time, which was to them: "the same as an employee giving notice", if we objected to working more than what was originally agreed upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor management, needs to consider hiring someone with a background in nurse management instead of letting the scheduler direct the nurses and be more involved with what is going on at the facility.

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!

Genesis HealthCare Videos

Genesis HealthCare – Why Work for Us?

Move forward with confidence. That’s stability. That’s Genesis HealthCare. Genesis HealthCare is one of the nation’s largest long-term care and rehabilitation therapy providers. In an industry that’s growing in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genesis HealthCare reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.. All 179 reviews are posted anonymously by Genesis HealthCare employees.