Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 24 January 2015
Updated 24 January 2015
2.5

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging but for a 10 year veteran the just right challenge

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Covington, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Covington, IN (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great IT department fantastic computer system for notes and billing

Cons

The company demands big time productivity sometimes 90 percent

So-so

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Great therapy coworkers and lots of access to online CEUs

Cons

Productivity standards are impossible to meet most days while remaining ethical.

This is a stable company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work environment. Always work to do. Good coworkers. Locations all over the place with the opportunity to transfer. There are some good programs like the employee foundation.

Cons

The pay is not competitive with other companies. Company keeps growing but does not hire more to keep up with work load. Then they don't give raises even though you are doing more work.

Share the wealth.

Decent company to work for

Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team and management, enjoyed working with staff. Patients are great to work with. License reimbursed

Cons

Salary not up to the mark, no regular vacation days (4th of July, Labor Day etc)
    Work with limited patient population

Allow regular vacation days and raises

Getting worse as the years go by

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met a lot of great people in the years I spent with this company. When i started it really was a great job however over the years things changed.

Cons

poor benefits despite it being a health care company. Mandatory weekends with little chance of getting a flex day. Black out days for holiday and summer vacations. when you need a day off they either deny it or tell you to work on sat and then when your anniversary comes you are left with vacation/personal time that you forfeit. Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only recognized rehab holidays. You will be working 4th of July, New Years day, labor day etc etc etc without holiday/time and half pay; Need approval for continuing ed courses, pay freezes CONSTANTLY, high turn over rate, do not match 401K. every year they take a little more from their loyal employees until you cant take it anymore and finally leave. Oh any they no longer offer short term disability. if you want it you have to purchase AFLAC. poor mentoring for new hires. if you are not good with a computer just forget it.

care a little more about your long term employees. they have been loyal and deserve respect vs pushing them out and hiring new grads for less pay. Worry more about treating the staff you have fairly vs taking over smaller companies. Match 401Ks and get rid of pay freezes.
    why give employees time off when you deny it every chance you get. 6 day a week work week is awful. Disappointed to see what Genesis has become since i first walked through the door as a new grad.

Budget is number 1 Residents number 2

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Weekly pay
    Decent benefits
    Close to home

Cons

Building as a whole is a mess
    Takes a month to hire new employees
    No control over your department administrator has the final say.
    Polices and procedures in place something dont make sense to sensible human being.

Resign so people with fresh ideas van lead the company

Coercive Power Management

Former Employee - SLP in Roswell, NM (US)
    Former Employee - SLP in Roswell, NM (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

The pros were working with the geriatric population, and developing POTs for patients.

Cons

Ridiculously high productivity model. The whip was cracked on us daily over that. Many of us would clock out to do paperwork, so we could meet the productivity percentage. Pay was based hourly, so it meant very long days, as all the patients were individually targeted for therapy sessions.

Since I was the sole SLP, I only had myself to depend on for completion of screenings, evaluations, therapy, and carry-over skills of patients. No PRN was available. I was only allowed one week of vacation at a time. My first vacation came 1.5 years later, after this company took over. My days were 10-12 hours long most of the time. When a resignation letter is presented, forfeiture of accrued PTO is automatic. Not a best practice, but no one is going to enforce anything, because no law exists for that in my state. It is a tattletale, micromanagement model. It makes the workplace a stressful, often hostile environment. When I placed my resignation, immediately I was bullied. Attempting to leave sooner than the resignation date is not an option. I was threatened with being blacklisted for attempting to employ constructive resignation. As to my reference letter, my boss conveniently ignored it. I will stay on that, since I worked at my host facility for nearly three years. I deserve that much. Five minutes after I clocked out for the last time, my boss cleaned off my desk within five minutes. Good thing I had the foresight to extract all my personal belongings ahead of time. I'm glad for the experience, but truly the bottom line is profitability.

Rehab Office Coordinator

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Flexible Hours are a plus,

Cons

Having to share laptop and not haveing your own space

Genesis Rehab

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Manchester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Always looking for part time workers, flexible work hours

Cons

Company not very invested in their staff.

Invest more in US less in China