Genesis HealthCare

www.genesishcc.com

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Genesis HealthCare – “Kennett Clock Tower”

Genesis HealthCare – “Kennett Clock Tower”

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.

George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay (in 7 reviews)

• Close to home, great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 17 reviews)

• patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Management

Social Worker (Former Employee) Naugatuck, CT (US)

ProsGood reputation for patient care

ConsLack of employee concern, too focused on bottom line

Advice to Senior ManagementMore competitive salaries/wages. More employee support

no room for growth

Prosflexible schedule, nice building, pet friendly

Consunder staffed frequently 4aides for 7-3pm, 3 aides for 3-11p, all the residents are forced to get up during the 11-7a shift to balance the work load caused by understaffing.
    chain of command not in compliance with company mission or core values

Advice to Senior Managementhire assistants to all department heads to help balance power. otherwise just the admin & DON will continue to bully the "TEAM"

They are very nice!

Dietary Aide (Current Employee) Fort Collins, CO (US)

ProsThey were very easy to talk too.

ConsNothing is bad about this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get your feet wet and then move on...

Staff Nurse (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat place to learn and practice nursing foundations; the nurses all work together to ensure patient satisfaction

ConsHigh nurse to patient ratio; high turnover; low morale; paperwork seems to be more important than the care of patient; lack of managerial support; stagnation; lack of compassion from admin

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee appreciation goes a long way. Listen to us. Treat us with respect. Stop promoting people based on their "looks". It's evident the company wants a certain "look" to represent them. Making new nurses managers just because they "look" the part is NOT a smart idea. It goes to their heads and they don't have the skills (or experience) to back up their decisions/actions.

Entry Level Position

Marketing Representative (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsThey offered good benefits at the time.

ConsThey were inflexible as far as policies were concerned, and not willing to consider an employee issue on a case0by-case basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more human.

Better than some companies to work for. They try not to lay off employees.

Prosproductivity is reasonable compared to some other companies

ConsHaving to drive between facilities to get your hours when you have a low census at your own facility.

Good first job experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat rehab team to work with, wonderful coworkers.

ConsI don't agree with some of the procedures related to diet management

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease understanding of rehab (facility specific)

Great until I was laid-off

Program Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsPay, benefits, 'autonomy', no micro-managing

ConsNo advancement, company cutbacks, upper management leaves you in the dark

Advice to Senior ManagementJob was great, but business model is flawed. They won't make therapists work 'off the clock' but demand unrealistic productivity. Company expanded too much in the western US and did not properly set up clinics for success. Upper management does not keep middle management in the loop until you are hit with a bombshell.

Feel the burn out

Occupational Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsHigh pay for new grads and if you have ever dreamed of being a well educated slave have I got the company for you.

ConsI was sold on a pack of lies, the recruiter said there would be a mentoring program. There is none. The only mentoring I received was how to run, bill non- stop, and be just ethical enough to not lose your license. You are never allowed to be tired or sick, but don't dream of calling out if you are sick, unless you want to feel the wrath of your manager. This is due to the insane pressure put on managers for productivity. Their bonuses are based on staff productivity. No raises this year either and we got to sit in on a call letting us know it's our fault. Corporate eliminated 90% of support staff you have to complete your own payroll, scheduling, & patient transport. Even with doctorates we punch time in and out for everything like it's McDonald's. 84% productivity for therapists & 89% for assistants. Contracts have decreased base hours to 35 a week to be considered full time & vacation time is pro-rated down if you don't work enough hours weekly even though you have NO control over each building's census you will loose vacation time. If you quit too soon after a vacation you have to pay back your hours. Employees are forcibly transferred after hire to buildings with higher needs. They will take away from 401 K matching if you leave before 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare a computer with 15 co-workers & tell me how your day goes.

Company promotes values that are just what you'd hope for in a healthcare company.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsMost employees work together as a team at all levels of the organization. Compassionate and quality care is delivered 99% of the time.

ConsLimited resources due to cost constraints, but that is indicative of the industry, medical reimbursement rates need to go up in Mass. Workload expectations of employees at all levels is high.

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!