Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 18 January 2015
Updated 18 January 2015
2.5

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Headed in wrong direction.

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Great staff. President of company is great.

Cons

Area leadership is cliquish and like to bully others. They say it's all about the patients but really it's not. It's all about the dollar. There is no way to advance unless you are in the clique. The choices for upper management are terrible. Area directors and senior area directors are just plain mean and only care about themselves. Never do they offer to come in and help in times of need. They seem to just sit at their homes and delegate who is doing what. Every week, something else is added to the to do list. Expectations are not reasonable.

Investigate area leadership In the south. I think you'd be surprised of what really goes on...what a shame.

Work in Thearpy department at Powerback Lakewood CO- Terrible Company - They don't care about employees or patients.

Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't say one PRO about this company.. WORST COMPANY. IT IS CLEAR THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. I HAVE ONLY BEEN THERE FOR 3 MONTHS AND LOOKING FOR DIFFERENT JOB. The only PRO I can think of is helping patients. However They except your productivity to be 87.5% when they have you running around a 110 bed building so you are typing most of the treatment session because I can have up to 18 patients in a 10 hour day. So patient care in bad because I don't feel like I am giving good quality patient care because they are so concerned about your productivity. my average for one month was 85.5% and I got asked how I can cute 10 minutes out of my day to reach 87.5% ...I don't know when I don't even have time to go to the restroom. I guess the only pro is that one weekend a month a get a 4 day weekend because they make you work on Saturday a month.

Cons

- NO work life balance. They prefer 6 months notice for time off. They said at least 60 days notice is required . And any notice for time off between 30-60 days will be considered but highly likely will not be approved.
    -If you find someone to work for you for a day off and not even ask for PTO they won't approve it because PRN help cost more
    -No training. Beneifts are terrible
    - I came from a facility where the therapist worked as a TEAM to help patients and had meetings with staff/family to follow care. NO teamwork here at this facility, therapist are not involved in the planning for patients care after their stay.
    - I feel like a number there not an employee.
    -Therapist assistants have to jump through loop holes to use an modality on a patient. Gensis cleary does not want therapist to use modalities due to possible liabilities . A therapist can't even put an ice pack on a patient unless an evaluating therapist has it as a code in the evaluation and the general area of the body. I had a patient for 3 days that was in pain and even though IFC was a short term goal and a billing code I could not do it because a PT had to do it first therefore I had to keep emailing management to have a PT see the patient so IFC could be started. very degrading to what we went to school for and it show poor patient care. I could go on and on but I am so glad this was not my first job out of school otherwise I would have a terrible taste in my mouth for the Therapy world. there is not one good thing about this company and most of the therapy staff is looking for other jobs.

Learn to treat your employees like people versus prisoners and slaves. It must be bad with PRN staff say they are glad they don't work their full time

worst work experience EVER!

Former Employee - Contract Therapist in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Contract Therapist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

not one single thing about this company

Cons

Upper management LOVES to belittle and make staff feel worthless. I wish I could name names here. It amazes me how positions magically appeared to promote ones friends. Nepotism reigns with this company. If you want to work with a reputable company then RUN RUN RUN AWAY from this one! In 25+ years of working, I have never been so disgusted to see how staff therapist are treated!

Fire all upper management and start over!

My worst job experience

Former Employee - CNA in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - CNA in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The patients are wonderful, I love seeing the smiles on their faces when I'm helping them.

Cons

CNAs and nurses don't respond to call lights, they'll let them go off for extended periods of time and that's not fair to the patients. Often I'll answer a call light and a patient will ask for a nurse because they're in pain or need medication, I'll tell the nurse and they'll wave me off and wait a half hour-45 minutes for their PRN meds. I've witnessed nurses, cnas and other staff ignore patients, using their phones, and telling them to shut up and go away (which is absolutely unacceptable). Upper level staff treat CNAs poorly, talk down to them. I witnessed another cna transfer a patient on a hoyer lift with the patient dangling UPSIDE DOWN because the pad was placed too low. When I asked her if we could adjust it and try again because I was concerned for her safety, she ignored me and proceeded to continue with the transfer while the poor patient was panicking! There is very little respect for anyone or anything in this company.

Quantity over Quality Care

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They are desperate enough for employees that new nurses should have no trouble getting hired. If you are desperate as well, this may be the perfect match for you, but if given a choice, choose per diem and have an exit strategy. By working per diem, you stay in control of your own hours and don't have to give one month's notice to quit.

Cons

Staffed by census, not acuity. Patient care suffers due to inadequate staffing. They are treated like a number rather than a human being. I feel bad for the patients who end up waiting an hour for call lights to be answered and to get their PRN medications.

RESTRUCTURE: staff by acuity so that your patients get the quality of care they deserve.

Too much work for amount of people on teams.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities may be available.

Cons

Managers are unaware of the amount of work verses amount expected to be completed on time. No help in that area. Management does little of their own work and disperse to others.

It used to be great now it's just a job. :(

Current Employee - Employed in Bedford, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Employed in Bedford, NH (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's close to home. 4 weeks vacation after ten years

Cons

Treatment of employees is bad. Feel like now that the company is growing they care less. Benefits keep getting crappier, pay freezes no raises pour pay. Need more then 20 words 4 cons

Upper management has little respect for employees. Very rude and favoritism is a key part of being treated nice. Nice when upper management walks into a room and acts like people don't exist. Wish this company was run by an aurther t

I enjoy the people I work with.

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with. Good benefits, live CEU course and online CEUs, paid membership to your association, paid second state license.

Cons

Low hourly wages, low or no annual raises, very micromanaged by upper management.

Decrease micro management, do away with wage freeze.

I enjoyed my employment until i was targeted by a Director of Maintenance.

Former Employee - Maintenance Assistant in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Maintenance Assistant in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was nice to work for the residents.

Cons

Working in a hostile environment.

Have more of a interaction with unhappy employers.

Ok company

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

I love working with the residents..

Cons

i have no cons. ok place to work.

Genesis HealthCare Photos