Genzyme Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
3.3

Genzyme CEO Christopher A. Viehbacher
Christopher A. Viehbacher

Pros
  • Work/life balance: You can work from home almost anytime you want (in 12 reviews)

• Genzyme pays good hourly wages and offers a great benefits package (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The acquisition by Sanofi has started to change the culture to one more akin to big pharma (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management not clearly focused on improving operations (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It's all about the bottom line period.

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genzyme is still a decent company. The compensation is still good although there have been changes in the past 2 years or so and it is becoming more difficult to make full bonus. Work-life balance is still good. The acquisition by Sanofi has been challenging and their influence is being felt more and more.

Cons

Senior Management is overly focused on metrics, many of which are not meaningful, The introduction of the daily time card has contributed to this issue. The acquisition of Genzyme by Sanofi over 3 years ago has not been as positive as Sanofi would have employees at Genzyme believe. Many of the legacy Genzyme employees have left the company to pursue other start up opportunities or to retire. A tremendous amount of talent, knowledge and expertise went with those employees who left.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Genzyme as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed my time working with Genzyme. The employees are very friendly and focused on their tasks with a commitment to the research for medical conditions that are far from peoples minds.

Cons

I had not worked there long enough to pick up any cons, although at the time I was working there, a takeover by Sanofi saw many high level employees leave.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Genzyme was a great place to work -- very entrepreneurial, open culture. Good compensation and benefits too.

Cons

A very matrixed environment, which could present challenges.

Great product but caustic atmosphere

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Money and Benefits. Great location and expanding company.

Cons

Cut throat and brutal colleagues

Provide better teaining

Overall a great place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Animal Technologist in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Animal Technologist in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant work environment. The company encourages furthering employee knowlege and education. Managers are supportive and flexible.

Cons

Commute can be a challenge.

wonderful people

I have been working at Genzyme as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

great people, good leadership, rewarded by management for good work done

Cons

sometimes work-life balance has to be compromised to fit in with the manufacturing schedule

Genzyme culture

Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of innovation and patient focus.

Cons

some resistance to adopting new processes/technologies in older, established rare diseasse teams.

communicate more with employees. clarify company vision, so we can get onboard.

Not much attention, worked on a small project.

Former Employee - Software Intern in Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Intern in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at Genzyme as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had a very friendly manager and team, and they made sure to spend plenty of time with me and ensure that I was getting the most out of my internship. The cafeteria is very convenient and the food is quite good. The building is beautiful and a fun place to work in. Finally, Genzyme's mission is great and the dedication to patients and science is visible in many employees.

Cons

I worked as a software engineering intern, and some of the technology used at Genzyme is a bit outdated. It's also a very corporate culture, which I did not like.

Do more fun stuff for employees.

Good pay but got burnt out.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Genzyme pays good hourly wages and offers a great benefits package. If you are in Manufacturing they offer differentials on 12 hour shifts and plenty of over time......If you are into that type of thing.

Cons

Very repetitive. Had to leave after several years of doing the same exact thing. There is a high turnover rate of Manufacturing Associates which leads to being short help on the floor. Do not expect to take breaks or lunch at a set time during the twelve hour day. Have often worked up to eight hours without a break. This can be the norm and almost expected when busy.
    Manufacturing is also excluded during recognition events even though they are the ones that do all the heavy lifting and make the product. Go figure!

Maybe consider different shifts. It seemed to me a lot of my coworkers where burnt out and morale was definitely low. I would work for this company again but definitely NOT in Manufacturing.

Genzyme Framingham

Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are small pockets of excellent people that are truly focused on doing what's right. The science is excellent and is the major attraction that keeps people.

Cons

Constantly reorganizing.. political environment.. poor leadership.. high turnover.. low pay.. It's the kind of place where you go to get experience and then move on.

Put the senior leadership team under a magnifying glass and look at them objectively. You may be very surprised at what you discover. Peal back the political layer. Look at the redundancy in the management structure. There's some obvious reasons why the turnover is so high. Hold the management staff and SLT accountable for all the business results, not just a handful of metrics.

Genzyme Photos