Georgia Gwinnett College

Updated 5 August 2014
3.5

Daniel J. Kaufman

A great place to work

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in work time
    Ability to make a career change if desired
    Tuition assistance for extending your education
    The college has a good core mission and values. They operate much like a start-up which is refreshing to see for a college where things can be beaten down by bureaucracy.

Cons

The salaries aren't what you'd make in any corporate setting
    Raises are few and far between unless you change titles
    The college is very new, so some procedures that you may be used to may not exist yet.

Open up more training opportunities for employees. Don't be afraid to let your employees have more of a direct impact on the student population.

Heart is in the right place

Current Employee - Professional Writing Tutor  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Professional Writing Tutor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone who works here is more than happy to lend a hand, or offer a suggestion, even if you're in the middle of a session or they are. It's a very welcoming environment for staff and students, and the management really lets you take the lead on things and set the pace in the workspace.

Cons

Unfortunately, this soft-managing has repercussions, specifically when it comes to the student assistants and their understanding of what it is we "do." Many times they will seat us with a student who thinks they're getting their paper edited, only to have us tell them this is in fact the one service we do not offer.

Get everyone on the same page. Have your tutors understand what it means to tutor the student in writing skills and strategies and not to edit the work for the students themselves.
    Have the student assistants learn the same, especially the fact that we do not edit. Rhetoric is everything, and the assistants are the first line of defense when it comes to making sure students understand what the writing center is for, and how they can best utilize its services.

Great place to work as a student

Current Employee - ITEC PEER TUTOR  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - ITEC PEER TUTOR in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a student it can be tough to get a job. GGC has many different jobs available for students and takes great care in utilizing as much of its student population as possible.

Cons

I have not experienced any real cons except that there are no full-time positions for students. So without full-time status there are no health benefits.

Full-time capability would be excellent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice environment to work in, but not enough hours to go around.

Current Employee - Professional Writing Tutor  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Professional Writing Tutor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility in a college environment

Cons

Budget cruch...lose hours...no annual raise

Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Environment. Low stress if you plan ahead.

Cons

Pay could be a little better per class.

Adjunct salaries should mirror what the full time professors make. i.e. Business School professors should make more than English professors.

Not What it's Cracked Up to Be

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Students are eager to learn and, for the most part, appreciate your help.

Cons

Leaders abuse their power. Employees consistently work 60 hour or more weeks and state standards for employment are not followed. I have seen colleagues treated in disrespectful, hurtful, and unfair ways, including being yelled at, lied about, and humiliated in front of peers. Management either initiates the abuse, ignores it, or supports it.

Library Assistant

Current Employee - Lilbrary Assistant  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Lilbrary Assistant in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great staff, and easy job

Cons

Hours are limited and deal with a lot of people

It's changing and not for the better

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're young and inexperienced this is a great place to get your foot in the door and add a few titles on your resume.

Cons

Not a great place to be a staff member. Administration is only concerned with keeping faculty happy and enrolling large number of students. This is not an institution that welcomes diversity. If you're a woman or a minority you won't go very far. You're expected to work all hours of the night and on weekends. Worklife balance is NOT taken into consideration at all!

Your staff carries the college. Stop abusing them. Shuttle some funding in the way of Student Affairs. The students that come to Georgia Gwinnett College (an open access institution) don't care if they faculty went to Harvard so stop investing money in degrees and start developing a supportive institution and maybe your retention will be better.

GGC is a great environment to be working in, especially in the school of science and technology

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very supportive environment, especially for women.
    Excellent colleagues in School of science and technology
    The vision of the school is well communicated
    Freedom to work according to your personal schedule
    Good pay scale

Cons

Too much college related committee work.
    Do not get enough time for research

GGC experiences very real growing pains.

Former Employee - Librarian  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Librarian in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I worked at Georgia Gwinnett College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I will say the vast majority of the people I worked with were great. The students were great to work with and most were enthusiastic about their education. Faculty outside my department were easy to work with and communicate with. There is a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement on the campus for its mission and goals.

Cons

The area I worked in was not very supportive of family, children, or single parents. Communication from further up the chain of command was slow to travel to others. Where the department I worked in was going, what the plans were for getting there, how I fit into those plans, and communication on my performance were highly lacking. Upper management left no recourse for filing grievances or seeing anything done to resolve issues.

Support those with children. Understand they may be the only caretaker available. Younger children are more prone to illness when in daycare. Communicate plans for your departments and how those working there fit into these plans.

Worked for Georgia Gwinnett College? Contribute to the Community!