Giant Eagle

Updated 25 January 2015
3.1

Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed (in 10 reviews)

• They do have an excellent benefits package that they offer to their part-time employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 26 reviews)

• Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Mic

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Fun environment fun to merchandise

Cons

Long hours upper management lacked operation skills

More full time

Being honest

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Excellent team member support with in house charity programs. Works well with my schedule

Cons

Working at a convenience store can be excessively stressful

Can be fun, but not for the logical

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Lots of fun people to work with.
    Very flexible hours
    Great for seasonal employees

Cons

Gets boring at times
    Nothing is ever done because "it makes sense"

When doing renovations, talk to the people who will actually be working in the department so you know what to include and what isn't necessary. Also, try to hire managers that actually care about the company and people.

Welcoming

Former Employee - Cashier in West Mifflin, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Mifflin, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I received a couple of raises while working at Giant Eagle and got to make many friends with all of my coworkers. It was an enjoyable experience.

Cons

The cons that I had were probably dealing with the management and atmosphere. The higher up people were not friendly and never really helped out, and maybe this is just my store, but it was jam-packed 24/7.

Listen and be there for your employees.

Don't let the fantastic benefits fool you into the job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier(Formerly Eagles Nest Attendant) in Frederick, MD (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding Benefits(After one year), $10hr guaranteed after one year of employment, PT & FT Get benefits/Paid Vacations

Cons

Horrible hours, Favoritism, Poor Management, Sporadic Schedules, No opportunity for advancement

They are constantly hiring new people and because of that the rest of us that have worked here for years get our hours cut back so much that employees like me are not able to afford to eat every day, this is happening to everyone in every department. I'm not getting more than 20hrs a week! They need to stop hiring people before it gets to this point! I used to think this was a company that cared about it's employees because of the great benefits they have to offer, but they are all about making money and that's it. I am just disgusted with the way employees are treated regularly by the immediate management of the store. The GM never has anything positive or constructive to say about anyone's work. They do not care if you work hard and they do not care how long you have worked for them and they do not care if you have experience. I am working extremely hard to find another job but until then I am stuck here and it's a real shame that I have been so miserable working here. I was also told when my department closed a few months ago that they would be working with me and the other employees from that department to find a good place for us within the store and that never happened, I got thrown up at the registers. I didn't want to be a cashier and I feel as if they don't care about me or the others and it's sad that when I find a new job they are going to lose a great employee to a different company that will treat me better. Start valuing your employees, with out them you wouldn't be making any of your millions.

disorganized and boring

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

predictable schedule, relatively clean environment

Cons

grim culture, bureaucracy over people

invest in employees -- hire self-starters and pay them more

Good, but could be better

Former Employee - General Warehouse in Harmony, PA (US)
    Former Employee - General Warehouse in Harmony, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and profit sharing were great. Direct supervisors were also great to work with.

Cons

Senior management was terrible and must learn to treat their employees with more respect.

Senior management should follow the code of ethics that the rest of the company has to follow.

Depends on who you get stuck working with

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Flexible with schedules, decent benefits, especially for part time student
    Paid time off
    matched 401K contributions
    Discounts with other companies (gyms, cell phone bills, etc)
    Overtime if you want it, especially during the holidays

Cons

Store management is always getting moved around, which is good and bad; as soon as you get comfortable with a manager they're often moved to another store. On the flip side, if you don't get along with a manager, they'll probably be moved to another store before too long.
    Unfortunately, It seems like the union does more harm than good for this company, seems to mostly keep bad employees in positions.

There are two camps of employees in your stores, those who have been with the company for 20+ years, and those who are just there for the short run, please consider everyone.

Solidify your branding: the trade-off between low price, and good service, especially in the Market District line.

Not the best and not the worst

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

I liked the people and seeing the inner workings of such a big grocery chain. Benefits were very good and the union took care of you.

Cons

Management made an unreal amount of money so if they decided you weren't worth their time your problems went unsolved. They would act a little high and mighty so to speak.