Gilt Groupe

www.gilt.com

Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Michelle Peluso

Pros
  • High energy, fast paced environment(in 7 reviews)

• Great engineering culture, very interesting challenges and you get to work with really smart people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture did not promote any work-life balance (in name only) which is fine if you're under 30(in 6 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites when it comes to promotions and praise(in 4 reviews)

Tech driven e-commerce

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsTechnologically smart and competent co-workers. Lots of opportunity and support for motivated individuals to build data driven e-commerce solutions. Offices in New York and Dublin, Ireland.

ConsCompany is stalled waiting for an IPO. Some staff appear to be just putting in their time until they can 'cash out.' The giddy days of rapid growth are over.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of 'green' managers after a cash infusion and a growth spurt need support to succeed in their new roles.

Awesome people, awesome product, great culture.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat engineering culture, very interesting challenges and you get to work with really smart people

ConsYou will often fill underdressed around so many fashionistas

Tech/fashion startup in late-stage phase

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsStrong colleagues, friendly atmosphere, and lots of scope for individual contribution.

One-team attitude within tech, easy to find someone who's worked with whatever random technology you think might be the right tool.

ConsMore stable/resources to do interesting stuff but not growing as quickly as in the past...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Must be SHADY to work for Gilt

Customer Support (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosdecent pay, relaxed dress code, nice free treats in employee kitchen.

ConsHaving to field Numerous complaints about the goods that Gilt provided and not being able to offer resolutions. Just google their customer reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on quality customer service and not just the quantity of the calls answered.

Gilt is great because I love the people I work with and the office is casual.

ProsWork with some amazing people. Work/ Life balance is pretty good.

ConsCompensation is on the low end. They tend to underpay but still try to squeeze every hour from you. Promotions are at the whim of fickle managers, who promise things but do not follow through. HR is not very responsive or helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to make people work more, at least offer them more pay, instead of trying to strong arm them

Great place to grow, challenging.

Database Administrator (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsChallenging, fast paced, great people, culture, food, chance to work with different technologies and freedom to grow.

ConsNot much room to advance, but definitely a great opportunity to get the experience needed to evolve your career. As the company grows this "con" will diminish.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for everything! I would not be where I am now without the guidance and advice from my manager. Also the senior management lead by example and you feel they are on your side.

Eh..

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsEveryone gets along, you'll be working alongside of the best creative people in the industry.

ConsPay is not so good.

Advice to Senior Management.

Awesome People

Prosits great place to work

Consnot much i can think of

Unprofessional supervisor

(Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros• Gilt Credit to your account. Company discount on website
    • Sleek office environment
    • Smart (and friendly) coworkers
    • Fast-paced workplace with many challenges and a high learning curve

ConsThe perks end here. Depending on the team, experiences can vary. I hope someone will take note of the below and consider twice before committing to working here.

• A lot of managers don't support and are hardly ever around when needed. If you're looking for even a bit of mentorship, look elsewhere.
    • No work-life balance.
    • Fast-turnover, speaks for itself.
    • Positive, cheerful facade over a crumbling managerial structure. HR is not helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo senior executives: please put more emphasis on growing and recognizing the achievements of your non-managerial employees. As a previous reviewer mentioned, hire managers that will guide them in the correct path towards success. Please reevaluate your managers based on their ability to be a solid manager (not just to do their own job). This may be the one downfall of an otherwise great company.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou are working with very smart people who are passionate about what they do. The environment is creative and promotes team work. The flexibility to work remotely and shift hours depending on my schedule was also amazing!

ConsThere are many wonderful examples of promotion from within very quickly. However, people were often promoted without the proper management experience. This lead to frustration with managers not understanding how to lead.

Worked for Gilt Groupe? Contribute to the Community!