Girl Scouts USA

Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez

Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference(in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, some fabulous people, great learning opportunity(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's non-profit pay, so there's that(in 12 reviews)

• Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization(in 11 reviews)

Excellent!

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsFriendly people, nice environemnt, nice CEO

ConsNot great pay, no PTO, had to bing your own computer

Volunteer leader

ProsGreat organization that focuses on girl power

ConsRun by folks that haven't been in the business world

Membership and Community Development Specialist

Membership Specialist (Current Employee) Gulfport, MS (US)

ProsEnjoy the girls and volunteers.

ConsInconsistency at all levels, often stressed because timelines consistently changed by management, less than satisfactory levels of communication. Volunteers also do not take into consideration that you have a family too; my family often is put second due to Girl Scout or Service unit events.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the work / life balance of the staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, terrible leadership

Outreach Co-Leader (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS (US)

Prospaid well, fun job, flexible hours

Conscompany values and lessons are outdated, TERRIBLE leadership, bosses should require more education

Advice to Senior Managementneed to go through and remodel lessons for changing times

Positive mission and work environment

Manager (Current Employee) Macedonia, OH (US)

ProsCo workers are good people with a passion for the mission.

ConsHigh turnover
    Not much room for advancement

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great goals and mission, but leadership was lacking

Events Specialist (Former Employee)

Pros-Great goals and mission for future female generations
    -Your birthday is always a holiday, so you get it off.

Cons-They will try to find ways to keep you at 40 hours (if hourly) by not including travel time, and not including work lunches/dinner as time on the clock, etc.
    -High turnover rate, which causes ambivalent attitude towards new workers
    -Management holds themselves to a different standard than employees, you must go above and beyond while they promise things they won't fulfill

Advice to Senior ManagementEncompass and perpetuate the values of the organization. If you want to build girls of courage, confidence and character be adults of courage, confidence and character.

Development Associate

Development Specialist (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCompetitive salary and benefits for a non-profit.

ConsThe organization is in great transition. This can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to improve communication between departments.

Great company influencing the growth of girls. Leadership exhibits unstable management style.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOrganization has a history of longevity in employee service and a dedicated staff who supports the mission and puts in the extra effort to get the job done.

ConsUpper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization. Keys employees lacks the initiative the take responsibilty for their job responsibilities, while others will claim to have no knowledge of a job function, yet will not release the responsibilities to anyone else. Benefit package requires vast improvement to attract and retain qualified professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider taking a hands on approach to understand direct job functions, allow creativity and enhance benefit package.

Girl Scouts USA (2006) Internship to Permanent Employment

Recruitment, Marketing & Communications Director (Former Employee) Modesto, CA (US)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, family-like work environment, room for upward movement, training courses provided at no cost & definite learning experience provided for those who are eager to move up the corporate non-profit ladder. It was a great place to work that allowed me to obtain a wealth of information & wear multiple hats - gaining above average experience for the length of time i was employed. Awesome benefits & flexibility. A lot of opportunity to get involved on a volunteer level. Solid mission & values.

ConsWorking at a non-profit sometimes doesn't allow you the room to put into play programs or ideas/creativity you would like to due to budgetary constraints.

Good organization to work for however it was a little rough being a guy.

Membership Specialist (Former Employee) Redwood Falls, MN (US)

ProsIt is a very laid back organization with flexibility. They work with their staff and encourage creative thinking and abstract concepts.

ConsThe biggest problem that I found working for the organization was that they were very female oriented. Being a male I found that I didn't always fit in and that at times they didn't necessarily want my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more hiring towards men.

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!