Girl Scouts USA

Updated 9 November 2014
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 15 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Very team oriented and girl focused work.
    Great work / life balance

Cons

Money and benefits were not great

Kentuckiana Council has Resistance to change

Former Employee - Donor Relations Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Donor Relations Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This review is for the Kentuckiana Council. Working with young women and seeing their enthusiasm. Giving back to community. Beautiful office space in Louisville, Kentucky. Wonderful campsites.

Cons

This review is for the Kentuckiana Council. So many employees had low morale, especially the long-timers who were resistant to GSUSA changes in programming, specifically the launch of pathways. The low morale infected new employees. The volunteers have too much power over senior management. Extremely high turnover.

This review is for the Kentuckiana Council. Don't expect employees to stay just for their love of the mission. Treat them well, pay them competitively, and try to boost morale.

Lost focus

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Time off policy is liberal, when you can take it.

Cons

Time off policy is liberal, when you can take it.

Great Summer Job for College Students

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a camp counselor at a Girl Scout Camp for 3 summers and loved almost every minute of it. IT challenges you in every way possible-mentally, physically, and emotionally. I have never grown more as a person than I have in this job. It taught me many interpersonal skills, specifically how to handle work and personal relationship overlap (being the supervisor of best friends, general challenges from working AND living with the same people, etc.) and also how to handle persistent parents. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a career with high interpersonal work, as it will hardly ever be more challenging or rewarding than at camp.

Cons

Your experience depends highly upon how the camp you work at is run. I worked at a very well organized camp with a universally loved camp director and was fortunate to get placed with mostly great coworkers. If your camp is not run as well or is under new management, it could be more challenging or more difficult to deal with.

A fair and positive place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The supervisors, officers, managers, are all very loyal and strive to treat their employees as best as possible, They back you up and stand behind you, and do what they can to support work/life balance... so long as you're not a bad employee. As long as you pull your weight and do well, they'll support you well.

Cons

Even though there's a culture of supporting the staff among the managers and chief officers, the general culture is still very traditional, hierarchical, and conservative. Set work times (generally), regular employee reviews with quantified rankings, heavy focus on numbers. Not very "results only work environment."

While the 35/hours a week and ample PTO and as best of health insurance as can be afforded is top-notch, and that alone makes GSMH stand out, more ROWE-based culture at the foundation would really help morale.

Excellent

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Rewarding experience working with girls and being a mentor to others.

Cons

Too much paperwork involved and training is not enough.

Unrealistic expectations and has not adapted to this generation of providers

Current Employee - Community Development Manager
    Current Employee - Community Development Manager

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're lucky to work directly with girls there is a direct benefit

Cons

Top heavy for a non profit, no training given to staff, unrealistic expectations and goals

Train the middle and upper management. Value your employees, yeah its terrible pay but it's not even worth it if you can't support or value your employees

Extremely disorganized, zero opportunity for growth, no professionalism, too top heavy

Former Employee - Membership in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Membership in Buffalo, NY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are for the friendships you will make. A little under half the people who are employed are hard working, honest, amazing human beings. They believe in the mission and will do everything (to a fault) to keep things current, who will stay positive and be easy to work with. The volunteers in this council are an added bonus, they will be another reason to keep you involved and working here.

Cons

Your schedule will be all over the place - a lot of nights and weekends. They work in silos, so don't expect any departments to communicate what the other is doing. Prepare to be around ignorant, pushy, and arrogant upper management - I was never treated well by any senior level staff. They are also very top heavy - CEO, COO, CFO for a small company which is supposed to be a non profit but behaves like a corporation. Fifteen people were fired or quit in 10 months. Which is a large chunk of the roughly 50 person staff and quite appalling to constantly be around and deal with. Upper management hires friends or people from their church to replace staff. Everyone grumbles about how unhappy they are, but do nothing about it. A very toxic work environment. Lots of, "I really want to quit this job."

Don't fire new staff who receive no training. Perhaps spend the time to train all new staff and even veteran staff - especially if their position has changed. Have more career growth and opportunities for the staff that has been there for over 10 years and haven't advanced at all. Be aware of unfairness and balancing time off within individual departments. Hire an actual HR department (not just a senior VP of HR) - so staff can properly feel protected. Keep an eye on how senior staff discusses personal beliefs, anecdotes and blogging about work experiences online - which can be discriminating, offensive and rude.

Helps the girls, but not the employees

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A culture of female empowerment and making the world a better place. Lots of energetic, friendly people doing their best. Always fun to meet the girls and the volunteers. I love that Girl Scouts includes ANYone who identifies as a girl, and they really promote diversity.

Cons

Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit. Very top heavy, with lots of "managers" and "directors" who really just ended up making everything more complicated and difficult than necessary. Everything hinges on cookie sales, which is not a great plan. Salaries are terribly low.

Cut out a lot of the middle/upper management that just creates a lot of layers but doesn't actually do anything with the girls or volunteers. Find other sources of income. More training for employees. The salaries are not at all competitive.

Great mission, horrible execution.

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with the girls and the leaders. I truly felt like I was making a difference in their lives.

Cons

Every few months there was a new theme and reorganization. Truly felt like a game of corporate survivor.

Girl Scouts USA Photos