GoDaddy

GoDaddy Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving

Blake Irving

Pros:
  • "Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them)"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Still good benefits, though they continue taking more and more away from their employees"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Middle management was worried about their career and not their people"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interesting place to work

Customer Development Team (Former Employee)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe starting pay was good for the time , but i believe itr may have been lowered since i worked there. Good benefits. Hiring process may be a bit awkward with multiple tests include a skill and some sort of standardized hiring test, but i understand its fairly easy to pass. Holiday parties are huge and usually a fun time, plenty of vacation and

ConsWhen i was hired I was told it was for tech support and once i was a week in it was clear it was sales based, so just be aware. you will be given enough time to pick up the swing of things but if you really don't want to do sales then any of the entry level positions aren't for you.

requirements and procedures used to constantly change, but with new investors things may have changed

One of the hardest, but most satisfying jobs I ever had.

Manager (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had the ability to affect change on a grand scale and significant opportunity for career advancement. In 2010 the COO was 3 levels above me and KNEW me and the members of my groups. Figuring out how to work with such a huge environment was challenging and I had ample chance to feel accomplished.

ConsPart of GoDaddy's success was that the highest levels took a deep interest in what was happening bellow them. This has it's plusses, but it negatively affected in that every level of my chain of command directly contacted me for information, often the same. Raises were not given with promotions, I received very nice merit increases with review process and one market increase, but still ended my time significantly under salary for my role.

Purpose: Ask the right questions / advice to senior management.

Senior .NET Developer (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis review probably doesn't mean a lot since the Denver office is set for closure. A lot of very smart hardworking people are sad to see it go. But, most of us hold no hostility towards a company that is simply changing quickly and likely slated for great things in the future. It's their choice. Though most think it was a mistake for obvious reasons.

So to the perspective employee: This is a wonderful company in many ways! Good benefits. Great work life balance! Pay is above average. Stock options. Relaxed dress code. Game rooms, beer fridges, unbeatable vacation policy, amazing facilities in the areas they decided to develop! Depending on the department, it is a bleeding edge tech company. Departments where that isn't the case are going to change / are changing.

Given recent events there are two very important questions you should ask:

1. What value does my department have to the company? How do you measure it?
2. What is being done to improve this location (x location) and make it "a center of excellence?"

Working at GoDaddy is like watching a great TV show with an amazing story and great characters. But, in this case the writers aren't afraid to kill off half the main characters and start over multiple times for no apparent reason. I'm not just speaking to the Denver layoff. Make sure your character / department has staying power. This company gets better for you the longer you are here. More opportunities, more money, more chances to make a difference the more tenured you are. There are many reasons for that, but mainly it's a matter of just getting familiar with the business and getting to know people. GoDaddy is the kind of company where if it makes sense to do it - you are most of the time free to make a difference and a change for the better. All that however strongly depends on your department / location combination.

ConsI've had few complaints here. But here they are...

1. Under-qualified middle management in some departments. Home grown managers. Some are good, some aren't. This is improving.
2. Under staffed network teams. Simple changes take months. This is NOT improving.
3. HR so understaffed and/or just un-involved so much so, they are viewed as non-existent. NOT improving.
4. Recruiting has been getting better, but still throws a lot of bad fits over the wall. This is improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall you are doing a great job. You had great momentum behind you until recent events. The way you closed Denver killed some of this. It didn't make sense for GoDaddy or its investors. 90% of these employees will get jobs for more money in short order, yet I got the distinct impression there was a lot of pity going around. Which shows your lack of knowledge about how this will play out. Before filling you in on why I say this, I have to say; we definitely appreciate the generous termination packages being offered. Not all companies would offer this. Thank you! This is a testament to the kind of company you are and a saving grace.

The issue you have to deal with is that only a handful of the employees in Denver are staying with the company. Regardless of the offer to reapply and keep their job, this event will be viewed as the biggest layoff in GoDaddy history. It will cost you 10s of millions in unproductive time while new employees are on-boarded. But the worst of it, is that one of your other centers are already questioning their value and you can say little to change this. There is a lack of trust you're going to have to overcome. There is a correct way to close a center and there's a rash way and you made a poor choice doing the latter. GoDaddy is still a small company. It isn't Google or MS yet and you can't just close a center and let go of all the employees all at once without hurting your bottom line. This was a mistake.

All this aside, it is far too late to back-track on your decision now as most employees here already have one foot out the door. You don't want them to stay on remote at this point. What you need to do, is own up to the fact that this was a mistake both with your investors and your employees and do some damage control. Also, kicking employees out a month before their stock options vest is kinda cheesy. Stock options are cheap. You should have figured out a way to cut cost somewhere else in the layoff package and let them keep the options. That would have bought you a lot more forgiveness and good will.

Best place to work while Bob Parsons led the company

Software Development (Former Employee)
Hiawatha, IA (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy rating went from a 5 to a 2 in the last 3 years. While Bob ran the show, you truly felt valued as a an employee. You felt like you were an important part of delivering value to the highly valued customer. You were also encouraged to come up with new product concepts based on your experience in the marketplace and suggest ways to improve existing products. Team pride in delivering value to customers and having fun were the highest priorities. Every year the company flew-in all who were directly involved with software development for an annual TechFest in Arizona. This was an awesome opportunity to meet people in person whom you only had electronic interactions with. It was also a wonderful learning/collaoboration opportunity. Peers presented exciting new technology and provided resources for future use. There were so many valuable presentations that you could not attend them all. Eventually the presentations were captured via digital video so you could access them from the company intranet site.

ConsOnce KKR started to drive the company more and Bob Parsons faded away to the Board of Directors, uncertainty drove a dog eat dog culture. Directors in different geographic locations became more concerned about building their corner of the company and less concerned about delivering value to the customer. Re-orgs occurred more frequently and some new managers did some pretty shady things to end careers of great people. Some employees were even reprimanded for using their free time to take part in company-sponsored new product idea submission opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-instate Bob's 16 rules, get rid of managers who operate unethically and stop managing by fear.

Good job to fill a temporary void but don't expect to advance or not have to sell your soul

Professional Hosting Services (Current Employee)
Gilbert, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay! Great Benefits! In recent times they have allowed more wiggle room to advance into different departments as well.

ConsHigh sales expectations. If you do not sale you will get fired. Company put more strict guidelines that make it harder to make a "bonus" and have a person stay on the phone for their whole shift minus a lunch and break. Unless you are a natural born salesperson I wouldn't reccomend this job to you

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is really caring but I believe that the days of saying making a certain sales numbers or get fired are over. Also open more job positions that don't require sales. If people seen that there was a future with GoDaddy they might not quit or get discouraged showing up to a futureless job.

Intense atmosphere

Inbound Sales and Support (Former Employee)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time

ProsThe company does a great job of offering lots of prizes and incentives.

ConsI felt like I was working in the cube farm.

Most of the old regime has been eradicated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule with management approval.

ConsThe remnants of the old regime are still around, if not in word, in the back of some of the older management minds. Upper management is inconsistent for handling similar situations. Wait and see attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page, and follow through alike. Once direction is set, don't shift focus for perceived higher impact projects.

Outbound calls on Xmas

Outbound Sales (Former Employee)
Gilbert, AZ (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople and lunch, people and lunch

ConsMakes you sell people on Xmas day and expect sales on those type days

Advice to Senior ManagementReally?

Best job I've had yet despite some recent frustrations. Overall a good company to work for.

Software Development (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company culture
Quarterly employee appreciation activities
Benefits
Great people to work with
Company seems to really care about customers
Christmas parties are EPIC!

ConsIn the process of closing my office
Making us recompete for our jobs if we're willing to relocate

Advice to Senior ManagementLet stock options vest for employees in the Denver office that is being closed! We have earned them through long hard hours of work, late nights, and weekends. Timing the closure before the first of our options vest that we received for the first time after a long wait last year is just COLD!

Changing Fast

Database Developer (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWe're the best at what we do, by a long stretch.

We do "impossible things" all the time.

We are going to change the world economy to be more favorable for small business success.

The internal integrity of the company is very high. I have never seen any accusation of wrongdoing against GoDaddy that agrees with the way we run our part of the company, and have seen us make decisions to do many things for no more reason than "that's the right thing to do."

ConsGD has always been a good place to work. Lately, there has been a big shift toward turning our infrastructure into a Microsoft / Yahoo clone. The only problem is that means we are pulling in people from default tech places like Silicon Valley and Seattle who don't really know about being a registrar or hosting company. We are losing our distinctiveness as the highly-empowered newbies make us look like the companies they left.

Also, people are quick to criticize GD from the outside. However, the things they say are almost always completely unfounded. I just skimmed our Wiki article, and so much of the negative info in that article is false. But you have to have a little bit of a thick skin to be this far ahead of your competition - someone is bound to complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people have given a good portion of their lives to building this company. Please do not give their equity to your highly-empowered newbies.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GoDaddy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving. All 207 reviews are posted anonymously by GoDaddy employees.