GoDaddy

Updated 11 December 2014
3.1

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 31 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun environment but a lot of constant change

Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment (ping pong, go carts, rock wall, etc.)
    Cheap meals for breakfast and lunch and provide healthy options.
    Most supervisors are cool to work with and help you get to where you're going.
    Great benefits, good pay, and plenty of opportunities to win things.
    Like to hire within more than outside (for tier two jobs like advanced tech support).
    Plenty of resources to get your job done.
    Endless career opportunities as they're always hiring!
    Good work/life balance. You work your 40 hours per week and they don't require overtime (but they do take volunteers when needed)
    They have a gym with lockers/showers/towel service.
    Also, if you're working on the phones, you will have a minimum sales tier you need to hit. It can be hard at times, but if you're good at talking with people, you won't have a problem with it.

Cons

Turning into micromanaging; constant change in management and employee policies.
    Not only do you have to call an attendance line to call out (which is totally fine), you have to call your supervisor and let them know you will be out too (even if it's at 3 am...weird!)
    If you are late and don't have sick time, you are on a final written warning for 1 year. If you are late while on a final written warning within that 1 year period, you will lose your job.
    "Availability" is how much time you're logged on to your computer. As much cool & fun things there are to do here, you really don't have any time to take advantage of it while on the clock. (but really, you should be working anyways.. right? ;) )

I understand change, and that GoDaddy is a business that needs to be ran properly so they can provide the best customer service and make money, but it's starting to feel like we're in the first grade again, and not being treated like responsible working adults.

*AWESOME COMPANY, OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY AND UPWARD MOBILITY, GREAT ATMOSPHERE *

Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I retired from 22+ years in the Navy just this past April. I was extremely nervous about my transition from the military to the civilian workforce. I heard great things about GoDaddy and decided to try it out. I am so glad I did! I love the GoDaddy culture, laid back yet professional. I was intimidated going to work for a tech company with limited experience, but the TRAINING PROGRAM WAS OUTSTANDING! Although I didn't need all the benefits due to my military retirement, the great benefits package start on DAY 1 of training. Most importantly, GREAT UPWARD MOBILITY! GoDaddy is all about retention, being well rounded within the company, and upward mobility. They recognize hard work and just about from day one, you have the opportunity to "shadow" other departments and get a feel about where in the company you want to go next. I love how they encourage you to strive for greatness.

Cons

It's hard to come up with cons about your company when you are so happy about your job. GoDaddy doesn't pay me for sitting at home and watching ESPN....is that a con?

Great company

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

technology
    pay
    benefits
    people
    culture
    perks
    ease to speak to management

Cons

lack of transparency
    corporate changes
    breaks
    incosistency
    treatment of employees

Transformitive environment

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

The company is going through a great deal of change, with a new CEO and new management team. Much of this change is for the better, and covers everything with nothing sacred. This is great for being an agent of change and improvement.

Cons

With this amount of change, some of it is a bit much for people. Some are getting left behind.

USED to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was great if you were good at sales
    If you already have related technical training and experience you can excel
    Used to be phenomenal benefits (still average, but not great)
    Very discounted lunches
    Some really great people who really care about others work here...they're just not listened to anymore
    A LOT of theoretical vacation time

Cons

If you're good at sales...AND you don't fall into one of their constant micromanaging excuses (that are always being implemented but never actually tested until employees are screwed for a while) you can make a good wage here.

The benefits used to be awesome, but they've made it so that most of them are getting farmed to the cheapest bidder. "Full insurance" but less is covered, your employee costs for Rx went up in some cases 5x, and you can only use your vacation if you book it WAY in advance and they don't decide something is a black out day or holiday even if you've had vacation approved).

There used to be "the golden rule". If you can say what you're doing is right for the customer, right for the employee, and right for the company, the answer was "do it". Now that is absolutely gone. The order now is "what will net the company the most money for our potential IPO"

Stop. Please stop ruining this company. I'm no longer an employee there, but I'm saying this out of actual caring, because a lot of this company became my family. The only way to rationalize the recent decisions here is to believe that you've stopped caring about the people who work for you and now only care about what your IPO price may be. Unless you're upper management, the IPO price means almost nothing to us with the vesting schedule (and you force most of your good people out before then, since they question things). You built a huge awesome new facility with great relaxation benefits...but have put processes in place to micromanage your employees time to the point that over the course of a 2 week bonus period, there's a good chance they will LOSE that bonus entirely.

Quit putting practices into place (and products, please god!) before ACTUALLY testing them. Accountability metrics that have no actual "testing" behind them. Quit putting out lame excuses for why you can't improve the processes and fix things, and instead just shout down (or terminate) the people who work for you that have offered well though out alternatives.

So, yeah. Golden handcuffs. But be smart about it. The only way to fix this is to increase the pay/benefits/flexibility of the people who are awesome at what they do is to incent them properly into moving into management or training. You don't take a world championship sprinter and "prepare him to coach" by cutting off his foot and saying "well, it shouldn't have been that good to start with. But more often than not, management here is like choosing a political candidate. Why would someone good want to do that job?

And for the love of god, QUIT making people take your "Best Place To Work" survey when it's obvious you're only taking the data points you can spin your way. Make the entire results of the survey available to at least the employees. If you don't, then it's NOT a survey, it's just biased fake marketing.

Challenging job, but great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Hiawatha, IA (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Face it benefits are completely amazing. The atmosphere is positive and upbeat which makes work more fun even if you get some difficult calls. Everyone is incredibly friendly and welcoming. You have a great starting base pay and benefits from day one. They even offer adoption reimbursement which is huge benefit most companies don't offer. The have onsite catering at a very inexpensive cost.

Cons

The training period is rough. If you don't pass the test the first time in training, you don't keep your job, but it's all open book. After you take the test you immediately start taking live calls. This leaves you getting some pretty upset customers when you have to repeatedly put them on hold taking long amounts of time to try and find an answer. A little more hands in training would be awesome. You also don't have an assigned desk, so you constantly have to take your headset and other belongings home and back to work everyday. If you forget it at work, you run the risk of it being taken by someone else and have to pay for a new one. Parking is difficult, so definitely need to show up way early otherwise you run the risk of clocking in late.

First I'd like to say that I do love my job. I'm fresh out of Ranch and now working 2nd shift which most of the people on 2nd shift are newer. It does however make it difficult to get problem questions answered for customers due to the supervisor : staff ratio not being balanced. It's hard to ask peers for help when they too don't know the answer or where to look it up. More seasoned people around the newbies would be a huge plus. Also, it would be awesome to have our own set desks so we wouldn't lug all of our work stuff home and back everyday or leave it in our vehicles so we don't forget it. Oh, and more parking would be sweet. I show up 20mins everyday circling like a vulture trying to find a spot. :)

GoDaddy Response

Nov 10, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Benefits are an important part at any job and we definitely work hard to make sure that they enable people to be extraordinary and live passionately.

To the point of our training, we are
    ... More

Amazing benefits and atmosphere

Current Employee - Customer Development Team
    Current Employee - Customer Development Team

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GoDaddy has a great benefits package including a lot of vacation time and great healthcare. The atmosphere is very fun and energetic.

Cons

Working on the phones can be very draining and if you are good at sales it will be a pay cut to promote into a leadership role. It has changed a lot in recent years and seems like the amount of micro management is going up.

The top talent on the phones is who you want to be teaching guiding and training newer reps. It does not make sense for them to take a massive pay cut to promote.

How you are treated depends on the department you work in.

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

As a developer, you will work in the new facility with beer on tap, a skate park, basketball court, weight room, a slide, and all kinds of other amenities.

Cons

As a member of a department that physically supports the server and network infrastructure, you will get bare bones staffing, stacks of tickets, layoffs, no chance to use earned vacation, and a looming sense of "who's getting fired next? ".

Think about the consequences of your decisions. When you hire a new manager that tells the entire department that they have almost twice as many people as the budget can afford (even though the company can afford a new building with the above mentioned amenities), and then promptly fires three people, and as a result nobody remaining can take vacation time because there is nobody left to work the shifts (because we didn't need them, remember) unless the few people that are even able to work the shifts due to their schedules volunteer to work overtime, people are going to leave.

Take our feedback. Even if you don't use our feedback, try to pretend like you care what we have to say. For example, when launching a new platform from the ground up, don't make the same mistakes that were made in the previous platform. We could have told you how to do things much more effectively.

GoDaddy has almost everything it needs to be a fantastic company for everyone. The only exception is the right decisions to make that happen. I understand why things are being done the way they are, but in following the norm, this strategy is serving a very short term goal and does not have a the long-term well being of the company or employees in mind at all. With a decent amount of effort, you could make the right decisions and make GoDaddy into a company that is ACTUALLY great, instead of just appearing to be a great company.

I was excited and proud to be a part of GoDaddy up until the last year, so it's especially disappointing when I see it turning into what it is becoming.

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

Do not work for them!

Cons

I think it's disgraceful that this company fired more than twenty security guards before Christmas. Also, not paying the holiday pay they were promised. Real nice.

was sad to go at first, now i see it was my ticket to better opportunities ahead

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

started out as a great company, the owner truly cared although really had no clue about software development. It was a good place to work. learned a lot about large scale development.

Cons

owner sold out, all of the things that made good company to work for started disappearing, a lot of people who worked there for a long time really got screwed in many ways. Along came the investors, and it was all about the numbers game. Many products where cancelled, people were secretly either forced out "you have 30 days to find a new job" or let go. Their main goal was do it under the covers and they made employees sign documents saying they would not discuss any of this, or would not get any severance. They then started hiring younger folks, willing to work more hours for less. The new building has things like a skate park, slides, and go karts, so take a guess what age range they are targeting for that

nothing, the damage is done.