Goodby, Silverstein & Partners

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Apr 02, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Co-Chairman and Creative Directors Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein

Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, great company, a little outdated...

Communications Strategist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros-the people
-the talent
-the feeling of 'togetherness'
-the work
-the clients (big brands)
-resume builder

Cons-badly run
-management is weak
-CRAZY discrepancies in salary. Hard working, valuable people not paid enough, whilst a lot of higher ups or certain titles get paid a fortune.
-Terrible employee retention strategies
-disorganized
-not enough attention in the right places
-politics and favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementI love you guys, but you need to work on employee retention. We are losing amazing talent due to silly reasons. We need better leadership here.

I love Jeff and Rich, though. What amazing people.

Long hours and little recognition, but amazing creative agency!

Interactive Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing people to work and collaborate with, dog-friendly culture, work with large clients on amazing advertising campaigns

ConsAccount teams can be cut throat, not very good comradery across teams, people don't seem happy within the org which leads to a bad work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHave regular check ins with your teams and find ways to improve teamwork and collaboration on projects. Be sure that people are incentivized to work hard and have clear paths to grow within the company.

Junior Art Director

Junior Art Director (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAmazing place to learn and grow. Lots of opportunity.

ConsLosing great talented people during layoffs.

Overall great learning experience, mentored, and included - given real responsibility as an Intern.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlat organization, collaborative, very easygoing atmosphere. I felt like I could ask questions without penalty, and felt encouraged to explore ideas which were valued. Nice respectful and ego-free environment. Ego was not applauded. Everyone was nicer than any office I've been in.

ConsI found the city difficult to afford. It's in a great part of town but housing would need to be over 30min away if I were going to move there, because I'd be hired as a junior at this point in my life. As a senior manager or director it would be easier at higher compensation. The upper staff have no issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. I can't express how pleased I was with the leadership at GSP.

Great experience, dying agency

Junior Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen I was there - there were some awesome creative directors to learn from. The design director was also extremely talented and caring.

ConsThey grew too quickly and their process couldn't keep up. A lot of projects were derailed because client feedback got lost in the system. Was very frustrating to work around.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they've done a lot since I've left - analyzing their process and trying to eliminate redundancies.

Great opportunity to experience a highly creative agency

Account Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery creative, lots of opportunity to grow and experience a culture that values taking creative risks.

ConsYouth-oriented culture is both a plus and a minus; depends on where you are at in your life.

Great experience for early career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Great name on resume
- Passionate employees (important for doing great work)
- Lots of energy
- An agency that former employees come back to (or at least it was when I was there)
- Great benefits

Cons- Digital department was disorganized in early days I was there
- Long hours when trying to prove yourself (but 'welcome to advertising', right?)
- You can get winded from the short walk up the hill

Sinking faster than the Titanic

Interactive Producer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLets be honest here, the name is great to have on the resume. Plus, it isn't the worst place to work, its actually pretty cool (in a limited context.) The office itself is pretty cool.

ConsPlace is a circus. Over worked, under-paid. Some "top-dogs" heads are stuck in the past from when GSP actually did good work, they need to come back down to earth because -here in reality land - people are jumping off this sinking ship. Those who actually made an impact - are gone due to either BOTH of the lay-offs this year (that was fun) or they themselves recognized the shenanigans and peaced-out for their own good. I cannot stress enough how much this place does NOT care about its employees. Its tough to watch sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementOh, there's management?

Once Stellar Agency...Been a 'Sinking Ship' for Years

Brand Strategist (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart, creative, driven people. Great mentors. High expectations from clients and peers. Great resume builder.

ConsFounders can't get out of the way. Run by TV-centric, comedy writers who don't get digital.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe glory days are over. Accept it. Stop acting like it and be scrappy again. Read: ditch the silver platter.

"Creatives" aren't justifying their demi-god status - they're not coming up with integrated ideas that people care about, so accept creative ideas from all of the smart people in your building. Jeff and Rich need to trust the people they hire and not micro-manage every account to death.

I don't know how you'll fix your recruitment problem, but it's not going to start with taking on more bloated, vision-less clients.

Fun for a while, but overall disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- There are some great people working here who genuinely try to fight for work that's different.
- People are, for the most part, very smart, fun, and attentive to their responsibilities. - I've met a lot of individuals that I'd call true friends, who I hope to have in my life in the future.
- Rich and Jeff are nice guys and aren't unreasonable so long as you aren't afraid to speak your mind.

Cons- Senior creatives don't empower the lower level creatives to create fresh work.
- Senior creatives often come in to review last minute without knowing anything about the projects history and then "explore" new ideas, without considering how this affects the budget, the client's experience, and the internal groups involved with each project.
- Cronyism and nepotism apparent in most all departments.
- Boys club mentality in many groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to turn things around, you need to get a 360 degree viewpoint of why things are going poorly. Don't say you "know" about certain issues, then do absolutely nothing that implies you remember those issues.

Worked for Goodby, Silverstein & Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goodby, Silverstein & Partners CEO Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Goodby, Silverstein & Partners employees.