Goodyear

Goodyear Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted(in 15 reviews)

• They treat you good, wages are good, good benefits(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not a priority to managment(in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours, plus have to work on some weekends(in 12 reviews)

Wow! What a place! What a joke! Don't know how this business is still functioning :/

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsYou will not be accountable for anything. You will be able to work from home.

If you suck up to your boss you will progress (no need for qualifications or experience at this joint).

Retail Managers in there tyre network were great to work with, so much intelligence in the stores, however management never listened to the poor buggers!

ConsLeadership is non existent! There are no genuine opportunities for training/ development.

You will be paid poorly with little to none benefits. You will be required to have KPI's but you won't be required to achieve them which I guess is why no one will hold you accountable for what you are actually being very poorly paid to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought I had seen bad senior/ executive leadership before.. But this takes it to a whole other level. What an incompetent group! Very much have a 'know it all' mentality, but have no idea on what is actually going on in the business or on the retail floor.

Great Company very good place to work.

General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Union City, TN (US)

ProsThey treat you good, wages are good, good benefits. Goodyear is a good company to work for. The best place I ever worked.

ConsClosed plant for what ever reason and moved out of the country because of what ever reason. Would still be there if they hadn't of moved

Advice to Senior ManagementAmerican made means alot!

Overall Good Place to Work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsThe pay is pretty good. No bonuses for people that aren't managers. New building is really cool. Lots of job opportunities throughout the company.

ConsOpportunities are not in Engineering. Work lots of hours, it seems that if you work an 8-9 hour day and leave you are often called a "part-timer".

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are LOTS of good jobs (managers, directors, VPs, etc) throughout the company. But, 90% of these are outside Engineering. Engineers have little room for upward movement, but alot within Engineering Groups.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

long term company to advance

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Akron, OH (US)

Prosvacation days and spiffs earned

Consretail hours and holiday work hours

Advice to Senior Managementmore availabiltiy for promos are needed

Very Old School, In Your Face, Disrespectful Plant Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Danville, VA (US)

ProsGreat organizational structure. The business centers are staffed like small, independent plants. Good benefits and pay structure. Good training at all levels.

ConsPlant manager who yells and screams at his staff in meetings, throws and kicks things, and then expects his staff to be motivated enough to take the hill for him. This is the upper management culture at Goodyear in manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved in some serious culture change at the Plant Manager level. The old school aproach of Win-Lose outcomes eventually lead to Lose-Lose. I know of many good leaders who have left the company because of the leadership at the Plant Manager level.

For the most part good although a lot

Store Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsBenefits were decent although not as good as now as they were

Conslong hours and upper management does not seem to care about store associates seems to think they are easily replaced

Unbelievable

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsGood pay. Name-recognition of company does open doors to a better job somewhere else. Would not recommend this company.

ConsNo work-life balance. Arrogant attitude of upper management. Talks innovation but unwilling to support new ideas. Company culture supports management style and attitude from the 50's. Blatant discrimination of all kinds. Extremely poor salary increases. CEO is more interested in his pocket than the future of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBegin to see and treat employees as valued assets to the company instead of easily replaceable objects.

You're not going anywhere

Tire and Service Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is pretty easy and straightforward. The vacation and personal days offered are decent. It's difficult to get fired unless your manager really has it out for you. We had employees that mangers said were lazy and didn't do well but they were never fired. Other employees just had to pick up the slack.

ConsA lot of the experience depends on the store manager. Some managers never approve time off, give you all the paperwork and complaints to deal with and never work their scheduled hours. Other managers are in all the time and really put in their fair share of the work.

Each store has a service manager and store manager. Some also have assistant service and store managers. Unless someone gets fired or dies it's pretty much impossible to move up. In my district there was very little movement. They will also hire from the outside to keep you in a lower position if you're doing really well. I was told repeatedly that I was in line for a promotion and doing really well but instead I watched people who were much less qualified get hired or promoted because of the amount they were willing to be paid or who they knew in management.

Raises are almost entirely based on how long you've been there. My coworker was paid more than me even though my store and district manager agreed that I was a better employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should listen more to the lower employees. I had three different people from my store complain to HR that our manager was smoking in the shop (a situation that is usually cause for immediate dismissal) and he was given a tap on the wrist and told to stop-which he didn't of course.

Promotions and raises should be based on how well employees are doing, not how difficult they are to replace.

I enjoyed my job at Goodyear and the supervisors in my department were a pleasure to work with everyday.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell you had to we'd irk as a team to get the job completed. We also had days that we were allowed to celebrate the holidays and birthdays in the department. Of course the job had to be completed first and foremost. We all worked together in tubers at Goodyear.

ConsThere was an absenteeism problem that made it hard on everyone that reported to work everyday. Some days we had to work shorthanded which caused a lot of down time on the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an associate or associates that reports to work when scheduled and gives their all; please take a few minutes to tell that person how much you appreciate them because it means a lot.

Overall good company and great working environment

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- great culture
    - everyone likes to get to know everyone in the office (Canadian Office)
    - great salary package and compensation, Defined Benefit retirement plan, not too many companys doing that anymore
    - many opportunities to grow, if willing to move to Akron, Ohio, not too many or at all in Canadian office

Cons- Company has been doing well since 2008 downturn, but continues to have layoffs as a cost cutting measure

Advice to Senior Management- because of the numerous opportunities to grow, theres alot of people changing jobs within the company in Akron. Transition between people needs to be better, doesnt seem like person changing moving out of the position trains the person coming in very well enough to ensure a smooth transition

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!