Google

4.2 2,322 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,237 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape(in 71 reviews)

2,322 Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!

Intern (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe environment and culture are wonderful. There's free food and events. The company does interesting work. You fee like your work is relevant when you work here because of the nature of the company's work. The people are nice, smart, and down to earth.

ConsPeople are assigned a lot of work so you must be sure to do a good job balancing your workload. It's hard to get work done when you have so many awesome distractions like neat events to attend.

Lots of cash allow the company to invest in its people

Senior Process Specialist (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat innovations, work for a company that is doing something most other companies can only imagine. Incredible benefits.

ConsNot much in terms of team. Each person out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to balance excellence with cohesion. Very cutthroat environment.

Inspiring, supportive, challenging, rewarding.

Design Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsOutstanding perks and rewards, high expectations, challenging work, lots of empowerment and minimal micromanagement, good collaboration, good lateral and vertical mobility, smart and do-the-right-thing colleagues, fair and unbiased feedback and performance evaluations, very transparent and good access to leadership.

ConsEven the best big companies have some amount of politics and some amount of duplicate or discarded work. Plus, when you've got a lot of people working on something, the work is sharded into smaller and more specialized bits, and some of those are naturally less interesting than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Keep thinking big and long term. Keep moving forward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job ever!

ProsEverything has been amazing so far. I feel like I've died and gone to job heaven!

ConsI don't have any cons right now. Maybe that it's a bit hard to understand career paths but that's super minor

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing right now. Great job!

Awesome

ProsYou can learn whatever you want , you can do whatever you want and ofcourse Unlimited Food .

ConsNothing as such , Unless until you dont work .

It's Google -- it lives up to its reputation

Pros- Free Food
    - the amenities are endless and truly amazing! It feels like a college campus more than a work campus.

ConsIt is such a big company, it's really hard to list the pros and cons! It depends what you are looking for and what team you are on. It probably even depends what office or campus you work on. I can't speak to every situation when it comes to Google. I worked on a contractor, so for me, the perks were still great, but you always feel a little left out when you are not a full time employee. In my experience, my managers didn't really educate or work with me directly. I had a teammate who managed me, and he was great! But it felt a bit isolating at times. I also wish I would have participated in more events, groups and activities. But I think you have to feel comfortable in your role before you branch out, and right when I got to that place, my contract was over!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think mentoring contractors (TVCs), making them feel included, being honest with them about their opportunity to continue with the company, and connecting them to resources more would be nice! But overall, working for Google is a surreal experience and it was amazing!

Awesome place to work

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Taipei (Taiwan)

ProsThe opportunity to work at Google would make people envy of you. And you get a lot of benefits there: free snacks, great view of Taipei city, flexible work hours. The tools and documents are well-established and you can get to real work smoothly. The pay is also pretty high. The people there are nice and very skillful, and most importantly, they enjoy their work.

ConsBecause there are relatively few interns, and each of them is assigned to a different team, it's harder to know others. This could reduce your sense of security. No special activities for interns. And as they expect you to be a very good developer, the guidance they give you was relatively few.

I really enjoy the environment

Visual Data Specialist (Current Employee) Bothell, WA (US)

ProsSo much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

ConsJob can get a little redundant

One of the best to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsFantastic and super smart co-workers, great culture, perks and compensation package. Generous to new parents. Work hard play hard. Leadership committed to a long term growth of the company.

ConsCompany is now big which means more processes.

Great experience but limited mobility

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEnjoyed access to lots of resources and smart people. Really liked the author talks from interesting writers. Free food and benefits were awesome. Explaining to people at weddings that you work for Google alleviates all further discussion of details about what you do

ConsHard to feel like you make an impact; convoluted career advancement procedures (need to always be strategizing around leveling up). Since the company is so big, you have to make a concerted effort to grow your skill set outside of your immediate world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job overall; just might not be the right fit for certain people who need more breadth in their job experience.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!