Google

4.2 2,299 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,224 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

2,299 Employee Reviews

Played a lot of ping pong

Technical Sourcer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWorked with awesome people. Terrific perks and benefits. Fantastic learning environment. Loved the free food. I got to play a lot of ping pong.

ConsYou're a small piece of a large machine. It's difficult to have impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe contractor model for recruiters/sourcers doesn't work. You just train someone on best practices for a year, then send them directly to your competitors.

Great employer, smart people, with some shortcoming of being a big company

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsCan't beat Google's culture and perks.
    Caring and smart people everywhere.
    Some work is challenging (depends on your role).

ConsCompany is getting big, and not everyone is moving as fast as we were before.
    There are clearly hierarchy, and most of time it doesn't equate bureaucracy but sometimes it does .

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nimble and move faster.

So many opportunities

Adwords Associate (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsGreat graduate position
    A foot in the door at a large multinational
    Amazing talented people to work with
    Lots of perks - free food, nap pods...all that stuff is true

ConsDifficult to stand out in an environment of over-achievers

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your high performers, make the most of their skills, and promote them accordingly. Try not to get lost in red tape!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

loved

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Prostraining, perks , personal growth

Consleadership, off-time, values, benefits, prove your worth

Positive and challenging.

Web Developer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros* Open bottom-up culture.
    * Never a dull moment.

Cons* Lots of competition from all the very smart coworkers. Promotions are challenging.

Great environment!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsCompany cares about individual and provide opportunities for future career development. Great environment, and feel motivated all the time.

ConsI don't have cons in my mind. I live in SF, and maybe commute can be a tiny concern.

Amazing if you don't want a personal life

ProsThis is the only large company where everyone is competent. Your colleagues are definitely the best part of the job.

ConsWork/life balance simply does not exist at all. I believe the company cares and wants to fix this, but they have so far failed. Working in an open-plan office can be hard and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to continue to attract the best in the industry, you should try and offer a reasonable workplace. Perks and food are great, but don't help address the fact that there are simply too many people crammed into a tiny space.

Fantastic learning experience

ProsFantastic benefits and amazing physical facilities. Lots of openness once you get on the inside and senior management has a fantastic vision for the company that motivates from top to bottom.

ConsInternal mobility can be hard but the options out there are fantastic. Much will hinge on how well Google handles growing pains in the coming few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoogles works so hard and spends so much money to hire the best people for the job as possible. Lets trust those smart and talented employees to do the right thing rather than to guide them all the same way.

Software Engineer at Google

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are wonderful, the people are great.

ConsExpectations are high, and processes can get in the way.
    People tend to have strong opinions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for new employees.

Great Company to Work for but Maybe Not Forever

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe Google company culture is everything it's been built up to be. It's like working on a college campus with your friends but you really do get to do cool things that matter. You will have to opportunity to make the world a better place and help other companies use Google products to better their own businesses.

You'll truly get to work with great teams and will find a lot of people who care about your success and are willing to help. Support from management is pretty good overall.

The food is also fantastic.

ConsGoogle does employ a lot of people on one year contracts. It is actually more difficult to become a full-time employee while in a contractor role than it seems to be coming from outside Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who have been here for a year are a real asset to the company. They are familiar with the products and the way the company operates. They are allowed to leave and excel at other companies once their contracts expire. Management may want to rethink that.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!