Google

4.2 2,309 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,230 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

2,309 Employee Reviews

Lots of benefits and experienced gained.

Student Ambassador (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat environment, plenty of colour around the office. Great company culture. No uniform required. Fast paced environment which helps to deliver good challenges.

You also get opportunity to do what you want without too much supervision. This is something great about Google because you won't feel confronting at all.

ConsIt is better than being at home. Sometimes I'd consider it too good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, keep the culture going. It is brilliant.

Long-Time Google Employee, Changes Over Time

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsFantastic people, work-culture, work-life balance, perks, and transparency top down. There are lots of opportunities to share feedback both to management and to peers. Managers are constantly trained and developed so you mostly get to work with good people who get the culture.

ConsGrowth is extremely fast and we are beginning to see large-company issues and difficulty in moving roles internally due to changed expectations of experience which long time employees are often not exposed to. Also, poor performers are not dealt with correctly. There's a lot of leniency and sometimes, this can affect the entire team.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPerks are good, people are very understanding and receptive

ConsBoring work, not much intellectual activity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing manager

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe office is great. You get free meals/snacks, massages in the office, and a great work environment. There are also a lot of educational opportunities and trainings so you feel like you're always learning and growing as an employee.

ConsExpectations are very high and people can be very competitive depending on your field. It can be stressful. In addition, it seems most people work round the clock and I found myself on email nights/weekends, not because I had to be, but I felt that it was the norm. It can take over your life a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend more fairly giving perf. It seems that the calibrations for people's final perf scores are based mainly on hitting a certain average for each team which can be very unfair.

One of The Best Companies to Work For!!

Account Strategist (Current Employee)

ProsThe Google culture, the work & life balance the company offer, career growth, the benefits, great & helpful colleagues and awesome managers; these things are definitely what make Google the best company to work for.

ConsAs we all know that Google is very very selective in recruiting the new employees; and considering the size of the company, the headcount is very small which makes the employees have to do multitask jobs.
    And plus, the approval level is loonnngg..

Best job so far.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsCrazy perks. Relaxed atmosphere. Smart people.

ConsNot invented here for pretty much all technology.

Fantastic company to work for.

Agency Team Lead (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsSuccessful company doing very inspiring work. Very strong, vibrant, exciting culture. Great colleagues.

ConsIt's now quite a bit company and with that comes more structure and less of an entrepreneurial feel.

Truly is one of the best places to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe Sydney office exemplifies the Google culture of friendliness and hard working.

ConsIf you're not in Mountain View, career progression can be limited.

great culture, vision and projects

Sales (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsWork/ife balance
    Perks
    Varied projects
    startup feel
    smart/driven people

Consprogression limited
    sydney distant from mountain view
    some bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Getting a little bloated, but still a brilliant company.

Corporate Operations Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGoogle has structured itself well to resist becoming 'evil' as it grows. That's not to say it doesn't - but it takes hold a lot slower than at other companies our size. There's a lot of importance placed on transparency, accountability, and technical acumen by the average employee.

ConsWhile everyone is allowed to question the company's decisions, senior management are getting better at dodging them. Making a career for yourself can be very difficult unless you are exceedingly brilliant. There are a lot of very, very smart people here.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!