Google

4.2 2,330 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,243 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,330 Employee Reviews

Well paid, great benefits, smart people, political environment

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsThe office is full of young, smart & passionate people. There's lots of focus on career development and training. You're looked after very well in terms of benefits and comp.

ConsThe Sydney office has become increasingly corporate and there's plenty of office politics. It's great place for someone who is early in their career, however unless you love media sales it's a challenge to find the right role for those who are more advanced in their career.

Lots of benefits and experienced gained.

Student Ambassador (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat environment, plenty of colour around the office. Great company culture. No uniform required. Fast paced environment which helps to deliver good challenges.

You also get opportunity to do what you want without too much supervision. This is something great about Google because you won't feel confronting at all.

ConsIt is better than being at home. Sometimes I'd consider it too good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, keep the culture going. It is brilliant.

Long-Time Google Employee, Changes Over Time

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsFantastic people, work-culture, work-life balance, perks, and transparency top down. There are lots of opportunities to share feedback both to management and to peers. Managers are constantly trained and developed so you mostly get to work with good people who get the culture.

ConsGrowth is extremely fast and we are beginning to see large-company issues and difficulty in moving roles internally due to changed expectations of experience which long time employees are often not exposed to. Also, poor performers are not dealt with correctly. There's a lot of leniency and sometimes, this can affect the entire team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPerks are good, people are very understanding and receptive

ConsBoring work, not much intellectual activity.

Marketing manager

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe office is great. You get free meals/snacks, massages in the office, and a great work environment. There are also a lot of educational opportunities and trainings so you feel like you're always learning and growing as an employee.

ConsExpectations are very high and people can be very competitive depending on your field. It can be stressful. In addition, it seems most people work round the clock and I found myself on email nights/weekends, not because I had to be, but I felt that it was the norm. It can take over your life a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend more fairly giving perf. It seems that the calibrations for people's final perf scores are based mainly on hitting a certain average for each team which can be very unfair.

One of The Best Companies to Work For!!

Account Strategist (Current Employee)

ProsThe Google culture, the work & life balance the company offer, career growth, the benefits, great & helpful colleagues and awesome managers; these things are definitely what make Google the best company to work for.

ConsAs we all know that Google is very very selective in recruiting the new employees; and considering the size of the company, the headcount is very small which makes the employees have to do multitask jobs.
    And plus, the approval level is loonnngg..

Best job so far.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsCrazy perks. Relaxed atmosphere. Smart people.

ConsNot invented here for pretty much all technology.

Fantastic company to work for.

Agency Team Lead (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsSuccessful company doing very inspiring work. Very strong, vibrant, exciting culture. Great colleagues.

ConsIt's now quite a bit company and with that comes more structure and less of an entrepreneurial feel.

Truly is one of the best places to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe Sydney office exemplifies the Google culture of friendliness and hard working.

ConsIf you're not in Mountain View, career progression can be limited.

great culture, vision and projects

Sales (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsWork/ife balance
    Perks
    Varied projects
    startup feel
    smart/driven people

Consprogression limited
    sydney distant from mountain view
    some bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!