Google

2,800 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,549 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company to work for straight out of college

Former Employee - User Operation Strategist in Sydney
    Former Employee - User Operation Strategist in Sydney

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company that offers many benefits and perks that really takes care of its employees. Always a fun enjoyable environment with smart, capable people. Many opportunities to explore and develop your skills.

Cons

Hard to develop your career further if you're hired into an entry level role, very difficult to move across job functions and ladders.

Competitive and hard to get promoted.

Great place for an internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I found it was a relaxed, fun, and interesting place to do an internship. People were very knowledgeable and helpful, so it's a great opportunity to learn. Internally, a very open culture - builds a lot of confidence in the company for interns wondering where to go after university.

Cons

The perks (especially the free food) encourage people (especially interns) to stay longer hours. This can affect work-life balance, but staying late to get stuff done was never encouraged.

Best Company Ever

I worked at Google

Pros

All the people, all the fun problems, all the benefits.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Well paid, great benefits, smart people, political environment

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office is full of young, smart & passionate people. There's lots of focus on career development and training. You're looked after very well in terms of benefits and comp.

Cons

The Sydney office has become increasingly corporate and there's plenty of office politics. It's great place for someone who is early in their career, however unless you love media sales it's a challenge to find the right role for those who are more advanced in their career.

Lots of benefits and experienced gained.

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Sydney
    Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Sydney

I have been working at Google part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, plenty of colour around the office. Great company culture. No uniform required. Fast paced environment which helps to deliver good challenges.

You also get opportunity to do what you want without too much supervision. This is something great about Google because you won't feel confronting at all.

Cons

It is better than being at home. Sometimes I'd consider it too good.

Nothing, keep the culture going. It is brilliant.

Long-Time Google Employee, Changes Over Time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, work-culture, work-life balance, perks, and transparency top down. There are lots of opportunities to share feedback both to management and to peers. Managers are constantly trained and developed so you mostly get to work with good people who get the culture.

Cons

Growth is extremely fast and we are beginning to see large-company issues and difficulty in moving roles internally due to changed expectations of experience which long time employees are often not exposed to. Also, poor performers are not dealt with correctly. There's a lot of leniency and sometimes, this can affect the entire team.

I worked at Google as an intern

Pros

Perks are good, people are very understanding and receptive

Cons

Boring work, not much intellectual activity.

Marketing manager

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Sydney

I worked at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is great. You get free meals/snacks, massages in the office, and a great work environment. There are also a lot of educational opportunities and trainings so you feel like you're always learning and growing as an employee.

Cons

Expectations are very high and people can be very competitive depending on your field. It can be stressful. In addition, it seems most people work round the clock and I found myself on email nights/weekends, not because I had to be, but I felt that it was the norm. It can take over your life a bit.

I would recommend more fairly giving perf. It seems that the calibrations for people's final perf scores are based mainly on hitting a certain average for each team which can be very unfair.

One of The Best Companies to Work For!!

Current Employee - Account Strategist
    Current Employee - Account Strategist

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The Google culture, the work & life balance the company offer, career growth, the benefits, great & helpful colleagues and awesome managers; these things are definitely what make Google the best company to work for.

Cons

As we all know that Google is very very selective in recruiting the new employees; and considering the size of the company, the headcount is very small which makes the employees have to do multitask jobs.
    And plus, the approval level is loonnngg..

Best job so far.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Crazy perks. Relaxed atmosphere. Smart people.

Cons

Not invented here for pretty much all technology.