Google Reviews

2,612 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,429 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 128 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 252 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 115 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

It's like being back in College again times going to Disneyland everyday

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free.Food.NOM.
    Beautiful campus, fun offices
    Free gyms & fitness classes
    Best 401k match I've ever seen
    Free transportation to work
    Generous maternity/paternity leave
    Brilliant, fun, friendly coworkers
    Larry & Sergey. Seriously, they are the best.
    Unlimited resources for personal development
    Interesting projects that are changing the world
    Bowling alleys, volleyball courts, massage chairs, laundry, etc
    Real work-life balance
    Hiring that focuses on outgoing, friendly people who are passionate about learning (as opposed to companies that only care what you know now, and if someone next to you knows .0001% more than you, you are out). Things change so quickly at Google you have to just have a good attitude and quickly learn/adapt.

Cons

As the company grows promotions are harder and internal politics increases. Interview process is very long (I had 14 interviews and it took months). But hands down it is still the best company to work for in the whole world, period.

Stop trying to concentrate all employees in MTV. There is no housing here and no one should have to put 80% of their take-home pay to rent.

Great company, but not a lot hope for temp to full-time employee conversion

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's the best place I've worked. Absolutely no doubt about that. High pay as a temp software engineer. Awesome software development tools. Fewer difficult prima donnas than you might expect for such an elite company. In fact my department had none.

Cons

I got hired as a temp with the understanding if all goes well would convert me. However, as many others have mentioned, it's quite the uphill challenge. I don't think it's because of my performance as they seem to like my contributions. It's almost as though because you are a temp, you are automatically branded as not as worthy as a FTE's. Having said that, I know one person who got converted, but he went through the same onerous interview process which he spent an entire 6 months preparing for, and had to join a completely different team.

Don't join as a TVC thinking you'll have a better shot at getting in the door. It's actually the opposite. But if try anyways, do it with low expectations of any conversion. Temps are limited to 1 year max and then have to leave the company for 3 months before you can temp again. Note: some software engineers come in as a vendor and don't have the 1 yr restriction.

As a TVC, you'll find roughly half the internal web pages are blocked since you are not a FTE, even ones you need to do your job, making it a frustrating experience to get things done. I often had bug coworkers to have them look something up for me, or just deal without the information I was seeking. Even the internal job postings are blocked.

TVC=temp/vendor/contractor FTE=full time employee

Please give more respect to TVC's. I'm not asking to be treated the same or have equal access, but if someone is performing well, give them a better shot at FTE. After all, you have already spent a lot of money up front bringing a TVC up to speed.

Best place to work

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company cares how employees feel.

Cons

Many opportunities are only available in Mountain View.

Overall positive environment, with some of the most super talented yet down-to-earth colleagues I'd ever seen

Former Employee - Information Technology Resident in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Information Technology Resident in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Leadership/Management is amazing (for the most part)
    - Compensation is iffy but properly backed with the amazing (seemingly endless work perks!)
    - Perks go on forever, I don't think any one single employee has ever used even up to 90% of all the base perks, not to mention some of the ones that temporarily come and go based on happening events

Cons

- Performance tracking is a little more cut throat then I'd have liked, with the risk of quickly escalating work environment between peers from friendly competition to rivalry
    - With so much going on, it's easy to get lost in the noise. This company was founded on DATA! and making it meaningful and available, that means you need to have proper organizational skills going in so you can effectively manage your time and make every work second count!

Take some time to smell the roses, appreciate and educate your reports better. A simple gesture of encouragement could go a long way and even potentially be the difference between an under-performer and overachiever :)

Great place to learn and grow

Former Employee - AdWords Account Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - AdWords Account Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance
    challenge
    opportunities within a specific area

Cons

Didn't feel driven
    Cross functional opportunities

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people are wonderful, you learn a lot from them.

Cons

gotten more corporate. lots of people to convince to make substantial changes.

amazing

Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Best benefits for employees in the market for technology industry

Cons

Located close to big cities

move to small cities

It's the best company I've ever worked for in the 38 years since I graduated college.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people, outstanding benefits and perks, excellent salaries, and lots of opportunity to do what you love. Everything you've heard about working for Google is true.

Cons

It's starting to become a little less firm in its moral stances and starting to bend with the prevailing political winds a little too much. In other words, it's starting to behave more like a multi-billion dollar international corporation than a passionate silicon valley technological trail breaker.

Get rid of the right wing political lobbyists and practice what you preach. If Google is going to say that privacy and climate change are important issues, then it needs to actively support them for the good of everyone and not just for the employees of Google.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bangaloko (Democratic Republic of Congo)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good and vibrant atmosphere which helps to concentrate and yet have ease of mind

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility and working at google is not an easy task

Great experience.

I worked at Google

Pros

Good vibes, good people, good benefits

Cons

Cannot honestly think of a single one