Google Reviews

2,597 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,419 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 127 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 249 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 114 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

It's like being back in College again times going to Disneyland everyday

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free.Food.NOM.
    Beautiful campus, fun offices
    Free gyms & fitness classes
    Best 401k match I've ever seen
    Free transportation to work
    Generous maternity/paternity leave
    Brilliant, fun, friendly coworkers
    Larry & Sergey. Seriously, they are the best.
    Unlimited resources for personal development
    Interesting projects that are changing the world
    Bowling alleys, volleyball courts, massage chairs, laundry, etc
    Real work-life balance
    Hiring that focuses on outgoing, friendly people who are passionate about learning (as opposed to companies that only care what you know now, and if someone next to you knows .0001% more than you, you are out). Things change so quickly at Google you have to just have a good attitude and quickly learn/adapt.

Cons

As the company grows promotions are harder and internal politics increases. Interview process is very long (I had 14 interviews and it took months). But hands down it is still the best company to work for in the whole world, period.

Stop trying to concentrate all employees in MTV. There is no housing here and no one should have to put 80% of their take-home pay to rent.

Great Company, Great People, Unlimited Education

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Google as a contractor for about 8 months. I came in knowing next to nothing about sales and left knowing almost everything about cloud technology, SalesForce and of course Google products. Even when you are in a contractor role, they invest a lot of time and energy into making you successful. I learned more in those months than I have at any other position in the last 3-4 years. Could not recommend an experience more.

Cons

Kids managing kids (although they do it pretty well), separation between contractors and full time, inconsistent career paths

Keep up the good work

An amazing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Working with some of the smartest people in the world on products used by millions.
    2. Great diversity of products you can potentially work on.
    3. Offices around the world, so you don't have to be in Silicon Valley.
    4. Very humane culture. E.g., you're encouraged not to work late and not to do email on weekends. Generous perks are another aspect of this.

Cons

1. Male/female ratio (although this is an industry-wide issue, and Google is working hard to address it).
    2. Design and product quality still not consistently high enough. However, they're very conscious of it and it's improving quickly.

Amazing company

I have been working at Google

Pros

Perks, highly motivated, intelligent people.

Cons

Lots of people, can get lost

More empowerment to those who aren't engineers

Best internship experience imaginable

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Google absolutely guarantees that your internship will be excellent. The pay is the same as a starting software engineer, you get access to all the perks, and you have the ability to do a simplified "intern conversion" process to become a full time engineer.

Cons

In my opinion, the biggest issue with Google is that there seem to be many people who are overqualified for their jobs. Mumble mumble "harvard grads answering orkut tickets" mumble mumble. Most of the time, however, people who are motivated to find interesting work are able to do so.

Great company, but not a lot hope for temp to full-time employee conversion

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's the best place I've worked. Absolutely no doubt about that. High pay as a temp software engineer. Awesome software development tools. Fewer difficult prima donnas than you might expect for such an elite company. In fact my department had none.

Cons

I got hired as a temp with the understanding if all goes well would convert me. However, as many others have mentioned, it's quite the uphill challenge. I don't think it's because of my performance as they seem to like my contributions. It's almost as though because you are a temp, you are automatically branded as not as worthy as a FTE's. Having said that, I know one person who got converted, but he went through the same onerous interview process which he spent an entire 6 months preparing for, and had to join a completely different team.

Don't join as a TVC thinking you'll have a better shot at getting in the door. It's actually the opposite. But if try anyways, do it with low expectations of any conversion. Temps are limited to 1 year max and then have to leave the company for 3 months before you can temp again. Note: some software engineers come in as a vendor and don't have the 1 yr restriction.

As a TVC, you'll find roughly half the internal web pages are blocked since you are not a FTE, even ones you need to do your job, making it a frustrating experience to get things done. I often had bug coworkers to have them look something up for me, or just deal without the information I was seeking. Even the internal job postings are blocked.

TVC=temp/vendor/contractor FTE=full time employee

Please give more respect to TVC's. I'm not asking to be treated the same or have equal access, but if someone is performing well, give them a better shot at FTE. After all, you have already spent a lot of money up front bringing a TVC up to speed.

It was a rousing experience full of learning. I really felt as if my career truly progressed.

I worked at Google

Pros

Excellent Benefits
    Decent Salary
    Overall "fun" company

Cons

Requires "genius" thinking (not my problem, only for those who apply to this)
    Tons of competition

Smart people.

I worked at Google

Pros

Very responsive to employee feedback. Great benefits and compensation. Internal mobility exists, because Google has its fingers in so many different things.

Cons

Satisfaction is project-by-project, team-by-team. While you can certainly move teams, happiness is a gamble that many would prefer to not take.

Fix the rigidity of the review system.

Very challenging yet rewarding experience thus far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good perks, challenging work, opportunities to improve and advance within the company, working with smartest people.

Cons

Google is proud of its startup-like environment and that comes with hectic and chaotic work at times. Promotion can be tough.

Surrounded by the best and brightest. Always pushed and challenged. Always learning.

Current Employee - People Operations Intern in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - People Operations Intern in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is great. Intern projects are well-scoped, impactful, and challenging. Flexibility is fantastic and there's a huge focus on enjoying your time/getting to know the Google culture

Cons

Hard to call this a "con" since it was a huge learning opportunity, but google is very ambiguous. There is little direction (tons of support when you ask though) and it's difficult at time to know what your next steps are.