Google Reviews

2,481 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,311 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, once you learn to work smarter

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Perks, benefits, pay, work-from-home policy, and really smart people. You don't run into morons here, and that makes life *so* *much* *better*. The tools available inside are better than anything that anyone can buy, and really have no equal.

You have a bit of a raffle in terms of your manager, but really, just switch around when you can to find one that works well for you. Being at Google with a manager that you work well with is an optimal life situation

Cons

Some managers are great technically, but have no people skills whatsoever. Also, the level of work and output by your peers is very high. You have to learn to work smart to make your work-life balance fit. This means learning how to effectively use the tools (which takes time, but they're really good), to build discipline to avoid spacing out on random websites, and actively managing your time. You also have company policies (easy to work from home, flexible hours) to make that happen.

Make it easier for employees to switch groups when a manager has poor rankings.

Great company

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing mobility - there is no company that has a leading presence in as many different areas of technology. Employees are able to switch roles and teams easily, it's like being able to get a new job without leaving the nest.

Cons

Big company issues - hard to grow scope and have an individual impact.

Find a way to keep people interested when significant promotion opportunities are hard to come by.

The best experience in my carreer

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great projects and culture, plenty of nice and interesting people to work with, easy to get involved in whatever interests you.
    Also plenty of resources and supportive management which allows to be ambitious and still succeed.
    Perks are also great.

Cons

I can't imagine working somewhere else even for much more money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product mgr

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

What else do you need when you work at number one branded company in world. Pros are
    Brand
    Culture
    Team
    Agile
    Food
    Perks

Cons

Pay
    Zero process
    Crappy interview process
    Cowboy projects
    Repetitive projects

Interview process needs to be relooked at big time, missing out on good talent and bar is getting unevenly set.

Diverse & interesting people, big challenges, effective leadership, great perks

I have been working at Google

Pros

people are great. you have the most interesting conversations with your colleagues who have super diverse interests. work quality and culture is pretty good.

Cons

nature of work is more rote than it used to be (what with the onset of "big company culture"). harder and harder to be heard over the sea of voices despite (or perhaps because of) open culture.

Amazing.

I worked at Google

Pros

So many perks for employees! You have good food, many fun opportunities, good work amenities. I would say working at Google is an amazing experience.

Cons

Sometimes, hard to get a promotion. The work itself can be very challenging, and at times, colleagues may not be willing to help get you through tough codes or working experiences.

Great challenges, lots of opportunity to learn and grow, and an extremely cool culture.

I have been working at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Very smart and nice colleagues.
    - Solve on problems on a completely different scale than other companies.
    - Lovely culture and great perks.

Cons

- Very Mountain-view-centric, especially at higher levels
    - Mountain view is a horrible place to live.

Reduce the growth in mountain view so it becomes less than all other larger offices.
    Spread senior management around into other offices

Nice company to work for

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice company to work for

Cons

No cons can be found

No cons can be found

Insane workload but with almost no bureaucratic nonsense

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. People routinely ask if the internet rumors are true about the lunches, healthcare, etc.. well... they are. Further- you are encouraged to take advantage of them (including things like 12 weeks of paternity leave)

People are, by and large, some of the smartest most interesting people I have ever met.

Cons

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE wants to ask me questions about Google, if I like it, is rumor XYZ true, ... etc. Also, just about everyone within 3 degrees of me in places like LinkedIn have asked for jobs. Even the Barista at Peets asked for a job.

My experience at google was nothing short of amazing

Former Employee - Brand Manager  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

So many highlights including: intelligent people, expansive budgets to accomplish your department initiatives, great perks and an amazing work environment overall. Everyone is highly driven and ambitious and when I came into work every day, I literally felt that energy as soon as I walked in through the door. People who excel in this company are self-starters and creative people that are able to think quickly and outside of the box.

Cons

upward mobility is stagnant. perks can make most complacent and satisfied with their role level for years with no title promotions.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!