Google

4.2 2,330 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,244 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,330 Employee Reviews

It's Google -- it lives up to its reputation

Pros- Free Food
    - the amenities are endless and truly amazing! It feels like a college campus more than a work campus.

ConsIt is such a big company, it's really hard to list the pros and cons! It depends what you are looking for and what team you are on. It probably even depends what office or campus you work on. I can't speak to every situation when it comes to Google. I worked on a contractor, so for me, the perks were still great, but you always feel a little left out when you are not a full time employee. In my experience, my managers didn't really educate or work with me directly. I had a teammate who managed me, and he was great! But it felt a bit isolating at times. I also wish I would have participated in more events, groups and activities. But I think you have to feel comfortable in your role before you branch out, and right when I got to that place, my contract was over!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think mentoring contractors (TVCs), making them feel included, being honest with them about their opportunity to continue with the company, and connecting them to resources more would be nice! But overall, working for Google is a surreal experience and it was amazing!

One of the best to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsFantastic and super smart co-workers, great culture, perks and compensation package. Generous to new parents. Work hard play hard. Leadership committed to a long term growth of the company.

ConsCompany is now big which means more processes.

I really enjoy the environment

Visual Data Specialist (Current Employee) Bothell, WA (US)

ProsSo much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

ConsJob can get a little redundant

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I really enjoyed it!

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsYou work around amazing people that are passionate about what they do. You are provided with the tools that you need to get your job done and then expected to go out and produce. The benefits/perks are also great.

ConsSometimes the environment is too nice. As changes cascade down from top management mid level management does not speak up and question or say no. This is not different from other companies, but with the culture there you would not expect it to happen so often.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo directly to the people that will be actually executing your plan for feedback as opposed to their managers. You will get honest feedback and potentially save the company a great deal of pain.

Great experience but limited mobility

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEnjoyed access to lots of resources and smart people. Really liked the author talks from interesting writers. Free food and benefits were awesome. Explaining to people at weddings that you work for Google alleviates all further discussion of details about what you do

ConsHard to feel like you make an impact; convoluted career advancement procedures (need to always be strategizing around leveling up). Since the company is so big, you have to make a concerted effort to grow your skill set outside of your immediate world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job overall; just might not be the right fit for certain people who need more breadth in their job experience.

Great culture and company

Account Strategist (Former Employee)

ProsGoogle was a great place to work. Aside from the amazing food! the people are smart, the offices are amazing and its just an exciting place to be.

ConsThe review process, at least when I was there, was very time-consuming and after a while it seemed to lose meaning,

Great place to work!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros*Smart and hardworking co-workers
    *Constantly innovating
    *You get to contribute to some amazing products being build that really can improve people's lives.
    *Google culture
    *Good management
    *Amazing perks

ConsEveryone I've worked with is incredibly smart (and nice). I don't view this as a con but if you are used to being the big fish in a small pond it might be an adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great place to work

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsSmart co workers, lots of perks, solid reliable infrastructure, great work life balance and continuing education. You learn a lot of best practices. The researchers are world class and you get to work on the bleeding edge of technology

ConsToo large one can get lost in the megaplex. At higher levels it can get more and more political. Not much use of open source infrastructure beyond Linux

System administrator

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere with good bonus

ConsHigh competition for the same job

Advice to Senior ManagementHike the salary of the staff

Highly recommend to others

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsNice compensation, nice culture, career growth, nice and smart people, free food

ConsBusier than most big companies, which is both good and bad

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!