Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged

Stay aware from Consumer Operations department

Former Employee - Consumer Operations in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consumer Operations in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

- Mission driven, product focused company (I really respect and admire the co-founders)
    - Obviously all the perks that folks talk about (on-site doctors, many different cafes with its own themes, annual holiday gift, etc)
    - Great brand recognition - you can always feel validated when you tell people you work at Google
    - Truly a company that tries to be innovative and do good for society
    - Overall compensation that's hard to match unless you're going to Facebook (competitive base + yearly bonus + equity + all the perks of being at Google)

Cons

- The department you go to will dictate whether you have a great time or terrible time at Google.
    - Consumer Operations was a really political organization, with folks who wanted to watch out for their own behinds so would throw others under the bus as necessary. In this department, we had managers who were not fit to lead. While rest of Google had flexibility to work remotely, this department frowned upon this which is ironic given the senior director lives in Los Angeles and actually commutes back/forth with a fair amount of remote work.
    - Be ready for reorgs often and change of responsibilities
    - There are definite jerks in Consumer Operations department, you wouldn't think it given the transparent, open culture of Google but Consumer Operations has its own culture. Unfortunately, the Consumer Operations culture is not the Google culture.

- Remember that people don't leave companies, they leave managers
    - If you're in Consumer Operations, I'd recommend getting out of there to other parts of Google that are more healthy

Paradise with a few setbacks

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are so many people who are recognized world-wide and have their own wikipedia page that you can meet while working at this company. There is also a death benefit, which is when a Google employee passes away, their stock vests immediately, and their surviving spouse receives 50% of their salary for the next 10 years. They really do want to take care of you.

Cons

This is just the inevitable problem associated with companies that amass a large size and establishment in the market, but it's hard for employees themselves to innovate. Also, there are just too many over-qualified employees at Google who are relegated to simpler roles.

Regress to the original organization of a startup: zero committees. Everyone must have a voice in innovating.

Overall a good experience working for one of the top companies in the world.

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The food court is amazing. They have all types of food here and it's all cooked in front of you. And getting around campus is a breeze.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons except for the fact that a lot of jobs at Google are contract positions. I wish they would hire their best workers from contract to permanent based on performance.

Management here really depends on where and what department you work at. There are a lot of different projects going on around the Google campus so I cannot answer this definitively. But my experience overall was alright.

Incredible mentorship and intern work that was deep and substantial

Former Intern - User Interaction Design in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Intern - User Interaction Design in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My manager, and other designers and engineers on my team, took the time to tell me about the history of the product I was working on, and what design and development work was currently happening. I felt very involved and invested in everything my team was working on, even though I only directly worked on a few things. My manager also made sure I could choose between a few intern projects according to my goals. I ended up working on something that I was deeply interested in, allowed me to build important skills (that have been extremely valuable in searching for future internships)…and it shipped! I became close to other design interns, and many of them had stories about their managers searching out projects and opportunities where they could make a—excuse the cliché—substantial impact.

The design community within Google is extremely welcoming, and I met some great designers across the company who were very willing to give career advice. There were tons of internal resources to help me learn the ropes and teach myself some new skills.

Obviously, the perks were great. But I think the professional mentorship and experience I got (I have an awesome thing to put in my portfolio, too!) would have made it worth it even if I didn't get free food.

Cons

I was never too lazy to walk to the kitchenette for snacks, but I was always too lazy to go to the gym. Struggles.

(No cons, really. The entire experience was great for me.)

Google's internship program isn't used to supporting design interns. A few things from the first few weeks bothered me—a lot of the "welcome to Google!" onboarding stuff assumed everyone was an engineering intern, and I was assigned a Chromebook (how am I going to design with that?) my first week. My manager had to put in extra work to get my equipment to me so I could start working on a project.

I would have loved more events specific to design interns—lectures, round tables, social events. I think this is something that needs to improve as Google continues to hire more design interns.

Great overall working experience here.

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and great employee interactions.

Cons

The commute from San Francisco can be a little long but is rewarding when you get to work here.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working out great.

Place for creatives

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Zürich (Switzerland)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people, some extremely talented.
    Possibility to switch between many interesting projects.

Cons

Scale comes at the price of slower development compared to start ups.

Great Experience

Former Contractor - Training Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Former Contractor - Training Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Working with incredible people and learning a lot about the tech industry

Cons

Being on contract you are completely closed out from GROW, and therefore working on and developing new skills.

Best tech company to work for

I have been working at Google

Pros

Free food, paternity leave, get to take a break and cool off outside, great environment, great company, great products, awesome

Cons

Hard to move up and promote within the company, lots of competition from other employees than are way better than you

Amazing, great environment, able to test new things

I have been working at Google

Pros

You can make a difference

Cons

Can be very demanding if you are not up to it.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Segment Lead in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Segment Lead in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers, perks, salary, interesting products, great career opportunities.

Cons

The Bay Area is getting increasingly expensive.