Google

2,795 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,547 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and have an impact

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

You can make a really big impact on the world working at google. There's an amazing diversity of projects, the resources available to the company are basically unequaled, and leadership is genuinely trying to do things that make the world a better place.

Cons

Google is severely lacking in gender, racial, and age diversity. It can also be easy to let Google consume your life out of work (i.e. social life); for some, though, that may not be a con.

The transition to Larry Page as CEO was rocky, but I think we've come out ok, and employees are generally coming to trust Larry's leadership. Few regret Vic Gundotra's departure.

Google is very good company for SWEs.

I have been working at Google

Pros

Free food, googley people, good tools.

Cons

Way too complicated systems, small impact on the whole project.

Fast Pace, Challenging but no work life balance

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, challenging and impactful work, fast pace, professional growth

Cons

No Work Life Balance, Stress and fast pace

Evangelized adoption and usage of Google Apps for Education to university IT departments as a Google Student Ambassador.

Former Employee - Google Student Ambassador in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Google Student Ambassador in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Google

Pros

Vibrant work culture and numerous possibilities for professional growth.

Cons

None in my role as a Google Student Ambassador.

Incentivize employer performance with long-lasting intrinsic rewards than short-term extrinsic ones.

Cutting edge work, stellar peers and great compensation

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Industry leading technology to work on
    - Some of the smartest people as peers
    - Great opportunities to grow
    - Nice compensation

Cons

- Intense work culture
    - Work hours can get long (but our mostly fun)
    - The company is much bigger now

Mixed feelings about working through another company!!

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Best facilities and ambience to work which gives freedom to concentrate and exhibit your talent.

Cons

Worked for one of the worst process management company which has a hierarchy that has a zero knowledge on the work process and just looks at numbers.

Please have a regular rating of such companies and test their management about the work knowledge and the way they run a process.

Great place to work

I have been working at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Google has a lot of really smart people who come to work with a great attitude of wanting to do the right thing and make people around them successful. We are lucky to have leadership invest in their employees and really want to make the world a better place. We very rarely approach projects in a "here is how we can save money" approach but more in a here is how we can make a great user experience. The perks are great and the atmosphere is really relaxed and empowered to make a positive impact.

Cons

Compensation is definitely not the highest in the valley which makes it difficult to live close to work and buy a home you would really like to live in.

Sometimes it feels like there are too many cooks in the kitchen on high profile projects.

As we grow, the perks seem to be lessening. The food is not as good, the christmas present was definitely not as good and it feels like opportunities to feel apart of Google are starting to become more rare.

Find ways to continue to make it feel like a smaller company.

Makes you feel good about working

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I found the company has a very open, positive culture. Everything is better with primary colors. The longer I spent there, the more assured I felt that Google was a force for good. It's really easy to drink the Kool-Aid.

Cons

The work you're assigned to might not be as interesting as you hoped, given that, it is, after all, Google.

There's a reason Google is always #1...

Current Employee - Technical Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Manager

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are unparalleled, compensation is extremely generous, a lot of opportunity if you're in the right place. Work/life balance is great (at least it is outside of Mountain View), and really dependent on the employee. Once you start working here, it is very easy to see why Google is always topping lists. Bad reviews are likely a result of someone who has never worked outside of the tech industry-they really don't know how good we have it.

Cons

The organization is too flat, considering how fast Google has grown in the last 5 years. Some groups did not promote accordingly and therefore have notable gaps in senior management. Also, I've observed some inconsistent hiring practices over the last year, with my group's upper management hiring people into senior positions that are very inexperienced. It causes a lot more work for the rest of the team, because these managers are unable to make quality contributions. On the opposite side, I've seen a lot of people brought in at levels much lower than they should be. This can be frustrating because the promotion process is not simple.

Promote from within, stop bringing in people without experience to fill senior positions. At the same time, stop under-hiring people who should be put into higher level positions. Overall, just improve hiring consistency.

AMAZING

I have been working at Google

Pros

Everything was good about goodl

Cons

Nothing was bad about google

Keep going