Google

4.2 2,334 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,245 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,334 Employee Reviews

Great place to work!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros*Smart and hardworking co-workers
    *Constantly innovating
    *You get to contribute to some amazing products being build that really can improve people's lives.
    *Google culture
    *Good management
    *Amazing perks

ConsEveryone I've worked with is incredibly smart (and nice). I don't view this as a con but if you are used to being the big fish in a small pond it might be an adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great culture and company

Account Strategist (Former Employee)

ProsGoogle was a great place to work. Aside from the amazing food! the people are smart, the offices are amazing and its just an exciting place to be.

ConsThe review process, at least when I was there, was very time-consuming and after a while it seemed to lose meaning,

System administrator

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere with good bonus

ConsHigh competition for the same job

Advice to Senior ManagementHike the salary of the staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to build your career

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros- A lot of mobility available - career shifts to sales, marketing, etc are possible
    - International travel and mobility highly possible
    - All the perks you hear about are true! Free food, great vacation packages, etc.
    - Many opportunities for advancing education, personal growth, etc.
    - Work life balance very good on most teams I've been a part of

Cons- You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape
    - Most opportunities are in Mountain View HQ - a horrendous commute no matter how you swing it if you're living in SF
    -Many teams have an 'ivy league only' culture that can be stifling
    -Email and meeting culture can be real time sucks

Advice to Senior Management- Do something about the bureaucratic red tape
    - Proactively demonstrate more creativity and innovation - even in roles like sales and marketing
    - Be more marketing led, rather than product led

Google Review

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsAwesome company to work for

ConsToo much work but the work life balance is good

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees

Best Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAmazing place to work. The perks are crazy and well document so I won't repeat them here. They really take care of their people and make sure all our needs are taken care of.

ConsYour manager can make or break you. With the right manager you'll be promoted quickly and work on awesome projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your people! You're doing great

Account Optimization at Google

Adwords Associate (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsExciting, friendly place to work. Really great team members. Lots of learning and training. It's like attending an University. I'm glad I started work here. Great memories.

ConsIt's hard to move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was a happy employee and loved folks at Management. My advice to Management is to let us in on the bigger, strategic level goals/numbers so that we're motivated to see how our work is contributing to it in a more concrete way. Also, it would help to have the career path a little more defined.

Highly recommend to others

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsNice compensation, nice culture, career growth, nice and smart people, free food

ConsBusier than most big companies, which is both good and bad

Google Tokyo

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsSmart people everywhere.
    Work in Tokyo, but without the bureaucracy of a typical Japanese company (no timecards! no fax machines!).
    Salary very high for a Tokyo-based job.
    Work at a Google, but without all the commuting of the main HQ.
    Make things people actually use.

ConsSmart people everywhere.
    Getting overcrowded. Perks, kitchens are worse than in other Googles.
    Office essentially segregates the engineers from the non-engineers (different floors), gives it a weird feeling.
    Harder to get promoted higher than senior in a non-MTV office.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand your international offices, they're a competitive advantage against the other silicon valley giants.

Nice Place

ProsThe place is nice to work but no work life balance

ConsWork life balance could be surely improved.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!