GovDelivery

Updated 3 March 2015
Updated 3 March 2015
3.8

Scott Burns

Great growth company with good leadership

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, great office culture, good work/life balance, meaningful work, resources available to do your job well.

Cons

Some people might see this as a con but if it becomes totally evident a person is not a fit or not right for the job they were hired for, they'll be let go. After years in jobs where people who weren't right for their position stayed on indefinitely, I see this as a pro... but just a heads up.

Awesome people!

I have been working at GovDelivery

Pros

The company is very passionate about the work they do, and it shows. Free snacks and beverages, Friday breakfasts and relaxed space outside of your cube to work make it a great working environment.

Cons

There is a bit of micro-managing at the top levels which can slow progress on projects and cause frustration. If members of the executive team aren't immediately all-seeing and all-knowing, they discard a suggestion and focus on something more comfortable to them. Voices are raised when frustration occurs, so expect outbursts and try not to take it personally.

Plan your strategy and goals for the future, but don't be so self-limiting that you discard a good idea just because you're not a seasoned expert in an area and you can't make the project fit into your current timeline. Sometimes the wait and slower progress yield an even greater outcome, and you can gain experience and knowledge in a previously unknown area.

Have an impact on building a fast growing company & do work that matters

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities present themselves if you are capable and hard working. Enormous potential to have an impact on building this company and working with government clients doing great work. Generous benefits and time-off. Access to leadership is special and company culture is strong.

Cons

High growth dynamic company building the plane while flying it can require lots of flexibility. DC commute is not for everyone.

Continue building up leadership roles throughout the organization.

Great place to work right here in our home town

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility for professional staff. Not a punch-the-clock type of place. Personal freedom for defining the work and the future of it, and career growth potential. Culture that actively removes barriers to getting things done. Amazing customers, and a sales leadership that has scored some really big deals. A chance to make a difference in the world instead of selling stuff that people do not need (or want). Company that likely has a long future and has shrugged off acquisitions. Great products with growth potential. Leadership that is judicious, personable, and thoughtful.

Cons

Recent focus on security and securing technical operations means forward movement in product development has slowed.

Fun like a start-up; stable like a blue-chip.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a technologist I love the diverse set of challenges we face and our willingness to try new things. Intelligent risk-taking is encouraged, and it has resulted in a platform built on exciting technologies that still has plenty of room for growth.

As an employee I love the stability. Do a great job and you will be rewarded and given room to flourish. I have never had cause for concern about turnover or work-life balance. We work hard but we work smart, and we believe in maintaining a sustainable pace.

There are a ton of really bright people working here; there is something to learn (and someone to learn from) everywhere you look, and always someone willing to teach. But be ready - the classroom can be anywhere from pair programming at your desk to a chat over a beer in the breakroom.

Cons

Our niche is hard to explain. We have a great value proposition and a strong, loyal client base; but explaining to a friend exactly what we do sometimes elicits a blank stare.

Stay laser-focused on what we do best.

Great place to work and grow!

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

It's a growing company and things move fast, which is part of the allure of a company like this. Your work will have an visible impact and the chances of being lost in the shuffle are rare. There is a lot to do so you're never bored.

Cons

So much to do, so little time. It can become a bit overwhelming at times, but that is really what makes it so exciting at the same time.

Keep moving forward, stay consistent in message and direction.

Poor Leadership and No Accountability

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is great, the product fills a great niche, but there needs to be more acountability by leadership to reduce the turnover and sudden departure of new hires.

Cons

There is a lack of leadership and integrity within the technology and operations area. Directors and above are not held accountable for their poor leadership skills and if you ask too many questions you are considered a trouble maker. The turnover is high for a company of its size. HR schedules 30, 60, and 90 day reviews to discuss your opinion of your role and your leader, but do not be candid if you are unhappy because you will not see day 91.

Develop integrity

Great culture, great people, at a company that is doing great work!

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will be hard pressed to find a company with more smart, hard-working, engaged employees. For those interested, there is lots of opportunity to learn and grow. The company truly values its employees and it is evident: great benefits, the flexibility to balance work & life, the trust to work independently, support to receive the training needed to be more effective in your job, lots of little extras like happy hours, free soda/snacks, family friendly events, and more!

Cons

You will be expected to work hard with a focus on results. This environment is not a fit for everyone.

Keep doing what you are doing so the company continues to grow!

Company to avoid

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CEO is great and provides energy to what otherwise is a very negative place to work. Great breakfast club. company happy hours.

Cons

poor work/life balance, high stress with low tolerance for errors or suggestions that might disagree with management, Huge turnover which makes it questionable whether it really is the problem of hiring bad employees or rather a result of a messed up management team.

Follow the lead of your CEO. Take some management classes and don't be so quick to pull the trigger on employees who might offer suggestions that disagree with you.

GovDelivery Photos