GovDelivery
www.govdelivery.com Saint Paul, MN 50 to 149 Employees

GovDelivery Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
GovDelivery – Saint Paul – “Hamm”

Scott Burns

Great place to work right here in our home town

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility for professional staff. Not a punch-the-clock type of place. Personal freedom for defining the work and the future of it, and career growth potential. Culture that actively removes barriers to getting things done. Amazing customers, and a sales leadership that has scored some really big deals. A chance to make a difference in the world instead of selling stuff that people do not need (or want). Company that likely has a long future and has shrugged off acquisitions. Great products with growth potential. Leadership that is judicious, personable, and thoughtful.

ConsRecent focus on security and securing technical operations means forward movement in product development has slowed.

Fun like a start-up; stable like a blue-chip.

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a technologist I love the diverse set of challenges we face and our willingness to try new things. Intelligent risk-taking is encouraged, and it has resulted in a platform built on exciting technologies that still has plenty of room for growth.

As an employee I love the stability. Do a great job and you will be rewarded and given room to flourish. I have never had cause for concern about turnover or work-life balance. We work hard but we work smart, and we believe in maintaining a sustainable pace.

There are a ton of really bright people working here; there is something to learn (and someone to learn from) everywhere you look, and always someone willing to teach. But be ready - the classroom can be anywhere from pair programming at your desk to a chat over a beer in the breakroom.

ConsOur niche is hard to explain. We have a great value proposition and a strong, loyal client base; but explaining to a friend exactly what we do sometimes elicits a blank stare.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay laser-focused on what we do best.

Great place to work and grow!

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time

ProsIt's a growing company and things move fast, which is part of the allure of a company like this. Your work will have an visible impact and the chances of being lost in the shuffle are rare. There is a lot to do so you're never bored.

ConsSo much to do, so little time. It can become a bit overwhelming at times, but that is really what makes it so exciting at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward, stay consistent in message and direction.

Poor Leadership and No Accountability

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe staff is great, the product fills a great niche, but there needs to be more acountability by leadership to reduce the turnover and sudden departure of new hires.

ConsThere is a lack of leadership and integrity within the technology and operations area. Directors and above are not held accountable for their poor leadership skills and if you ask too many questions you are considered a trouble maker. The turnover is high for a company of its size. HR schedules 30, 60, and 90 day reviews to discuss your opinion of your role and your leader, but do not be candid if you are unhappy because you will not see day 91.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop integrity

Great culture, great people, at a company that is doing great work!

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou will be hard pressed to find a company with more smart, hard-working, engaged employees. For those interested, there is lots of opportunity to learn and grow. The company truly values its employees and it is evident: great benefits, the flexibility to balance work & life, the trust to work independently, support to receive the training needed to be more effective in your job, lots of little extras like happy hours, free soda/snacks, family friendly events, and more!

ConsYou will be expected to work hard with a focus on results. This environment is not a fit for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing so the company continues to grow!

Company to avoid

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

ProsCEO is great and provides energy to what otherwise is a very negative place to work. Great breakfast club. company happy hours.

Conspoor work/life balance, high stress with low tolerance for errors or suggestions that might disagree with management, Huge turnover which makes it questionable whether it really is the problem of hiring bad employees or rather a result of a messed up management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the lead of your CEO. Take some management classes and don't be so quick to pull the trigger on employees who might offer suggestions that disagree with you.

Fast paced, get things done mentality lets you be who you want to be

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

Pros* GovDelivery has endless opportunities, but you have to be a self starter; nobody will hold your hand and help you succeed. You're generally told to get something done but it's up to you to figure out the details on how to do it. Some may find that a con, but I think it's a huge pro.
* IT/Technology is viewed upon as a strategic weapon, not a cost center like some other companies I've worked at, and it's great to hear that message from the CEO.
* Plenty of room for career growth at most positions if you're willing to step up and take it
* The Chief Operating Officer is a great leader and he brings an energy that makes the company fun to work at. He also brings great ideas to help improve innovation.
* Generous bonus program
* For only $30 every three months, you can join the "Breakfast Club," where the company will cater in breakfast on Friday morning. It could be a breakfast sandwich, quiche, muffins, French toast, etc, but it's a great perk.
* Company frequently has happy hour in the office and brings in cake, cookies, appetizers, etc for everyone to celebrate and unwind.

Cons* The company is growing so fast that there's always a LOT of work to do, and while nobody tells you that it's required to put in a lot of extra hours, you'll fail if you don't. This can lead to reduced work/life balance.
* Along similar lines, the amount of vacation time you get is small compared to most places
* If you're looking for a laid back, stress-free place, this is not the company for you (personally I'd find that boring...)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, we're clearly on the right track.

Turnover, turnover, turnover, with no consistent direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid compensation, with good salary and benefits. Flexible schedule. Good company outings (summer family picnic, fall family orchard visit, nice winter/Christmas party). Relatively relaxed office setting, with drinks brought in for meetings or celebrations every few months or so. Upper management really tries to communicate with everyone where the company is at and where it's going.

ConsPeople don't stick around. I've never worked anywhere with a higher turnover rate. If a new employee made it a year, they usually stuck around, but many people either left or were fired within months of starting. Going through 4 bosses in 2 years at the same position resulted in inconsistent priorities and direction or complete lack of direction.

Additionally, the nature of government contracts led to some frustrating aspects, such as bonuses getting delayed while waiting for payment on a contract, though communication about things like this was good and it's nothing that other industries don't face in some capacity.

There weren't many people who seemed to have a really solid work-life balance. Emails between 8 PM and midnight (or 2 AM) were regular.

While the executive management really worked to communicate with everyone where the company was and the direction in which it was going, the direction changed often, likely due in part to numerous changes in personnel at all levels of the company, including the executive level.

Oh, and when a management meeting in a company of 100 people has 30 people in it, there might be a few too many managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the idea of not making a "10-year mistake" with a bad employee is great, the high turnover suggests either really poor hiring practices or schizophrenic priorities. Figure out a direction and stick with it.

Respected, Valued, and Challenged at a Young and Fast-Growing Company.

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive salaries and benefits, great company culture, unique make up of employees, beautiful location and office space. Kind and intelligent people work here. Management is instructive, challenging, compassionate, and appreciative.

ConsMust be a self-starter to make headway (not necessarily a con, but important to note), wide range of ages and backgrounds means you must be able to navigate a variety of unique people to succeed (again, not necessarily a con, but something to consider).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growth and continue encouraging communication with all employees from the top all the way to the bottom. Display long term plan to help employees aim in the right direction and align with their personal long term strategies.

Best kept Secret in the Twin Cities

Chief Operating Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat success with Gov in USA and NW Europe....strong engineering and marketing....recent focus on sales is paying off. Customer service is very strong.

ConsToo few people know about the company or its footprint. With over 500 customers including some of the most significant federal organizations, the company should move from the "best kept secret" to "look at us"

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive for simplicity

Worked for GovDelivery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GovDelivery reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for GovDelivery CEO Scott Burns. All 17 reviews are posted anonymously by GovDelivery employees.