Grimco

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Good culture and work environment nice people and good salary. Any inside/outside sales position is going to be difficult and require a lot to be put into the job for someone to be successful. Grimco is a company that has given me the opportunity to prove myself coming right out of college. I have been given a lot of responsibility and even overwhelmed at times but overall my experience has been good.

Cons

Always responsible for customer experience even on things you can't control.

Not Great

Former Employee - Customer Development Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Development Representative

I worked at Grimco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

9 to 5 hours (sometimes)

Cons

Overworked and under appreciated. Company hires you under the guise of "Customer Service" then forces you to meet unrealistic sales quotas.

Be honest and upfront about what you are to new hires. Review your business practices. There is a reason you all are so hated by many former clients

Poor company structure

Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Grimco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a good reliable M-F job. Benefits are good and they give you paid holidays. This company is good for recent college graduates looking for something entry level, but not a suit for true professionals who have worked in corporate jobs before and are looking for the structure you'd expect from a company so large. There is room for growth - if you are willing to move.

Cons

Management is very buddy buddy and if you aren't one of the 'favorites' you are quickly forgotten. The favorites are promoted even if they aren't the most qualified, given bonuses, brought out to corporate, wined and dined, taken to sporting events, the rest of the managers are barely addressed, even if your branch is exceeding goals and making the company a lot of money. If you aren't willing to fully commit your whole life to them (work 7-6 with no lunch, etc) they don't consider you a 'team player'. I actually had one manager tell me that they look down on people who take their full lunch hour and don't just eat quickly at their desk. Local managers are also very quick to take credit for their reps hard work to make themselves look better to corporate.

Salary is not market competitive and 'raises' are more like cost of living increases. Each year I received five star reviews and not given any areas that needed improvement, yet was only given a $1000 pay increase.

No business is kept personal. If you share anything with a manager or a member of HR, expect it to be shared with everyone in the company. They also put out false reviews on sites like Glassdoor, and they will email out poor reviews posted to managers to try to identity who they thought could have written it.

Act like the large corporation you are. Stop the insanely inappropriate grade school like actions of your managers. Research competitive salaries for sales jobs in the local areas and be competitive. Give obtainable bonus goals instead of ones so high you know you will never have to pay out. Treat the people making you a lot of money well.

Great Company, Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1.) Opportunity for growth. Grimco is growing rapidly. New branches are opening each year and new opportunities are being created for employees. Grimco promotes from within, so there is plenty of opportunity for hard working employees to move up the ranks.
    2.) Small business feel. Teams are small and each employee is crucial to the overall success of a branch. Lots of helpful, friendly people create a family type of atmosphere.
    3.) Fast pace. Working for Grimco is never boring. Teams are small and employees are expected to be flexible and wear multiple hats. Grimco employees gain experience in inside and outside sales, resolutions, accounting etc.

Cons

There really are no significant Cons. If you are a hardworking self-motivated person looking to join a company with tons of opportunity, Grimco is perfect for you. If you are simply looking for a paycheck, and you are not willing to go above and beyond to make your branch successful, then you are not going to be a good fit for Grimco.

Management is attentive and easily accessible. There is always an open door policy here and management does a great job of making employees feel important.

CALL CENTER

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job.... they will drag fresh out of college students into this position.

Cons

A day in the life of a Grimco employee is answering phones and taking orders over the phone in addition to meeting quotas of outbounds which happen to be fairly easy. I can't say there is room for growth or opportunities to move up and the compensation is par. This company is very much into fitting a mold and if you do not fit into that mold it is only a matter of time until they will let you know.

Invest in the work environment (computers, furniture and what not) and reward employees for a job well done.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jessup, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jessup, MD (US)

I worked at Grimco (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really... The word does not exist at this shameful lack of a company.

Cons

Managers / boss / certain floozy brunette who engages one of the higher ups yet she has no college degree. Doesn't matter how good you are, your nothing but a figure to this sinking company.

No such thing.... As one manager does hide!!!!

Huge company growth, big potential/opportunity for self motivated individuals

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Growth-company is extremely aggressive in opening new business centers, buying competitors, expanding internationally. The work environments are fun if you share the passion to be a part of that.
    2) Opportunity-with success comes as much responsibility as you are willing to take on. The company is begging for people who want to drive their own success. Some take it upon themselves to surpass goals and end up with the biggest opportunities. The most aggressive salespeople can climb ranks quickly into management positions.
    3) Flexibility-the company gives newer staff decision making capabilities very quickly. This allows new hires to get great experience early on that most companies would protect with red tape or a title.
    4) Benefits/Compensation-long term, successful, loyal employees are rewarded through compensation but just as important, a great 401k with company paid contribution annually.
    5) Work-life balance-this is a great part of Grimco. You are expected to work harder than everybody else Monday-Friday, but working 12-14 hour days and weekends is not necessary or effective at Grimco.
    6) Upper management will take any call from anybody in the company when available(and they almost always are when you call), including the owner.

Cons

No company is perfect, especially one that is expanding as rapidly. But here are some thoughts:

1) Flat structure-because the company is lean at the middle and top and doesn't create a lot of unnecessary positions in upper management, it creates less opportunity for younger employees to visualize their succession into upper management.
    2) Organization-growing exponentially year over year makes almost every decision short term. There is little long term planning and for some people, they don't like the ever-constant change and prefer stability.
    3) Some branches end up "sink or swim" with new employees due to unexpected turnover(which all companies face), and although it is great experience for a new employee to have to run a branch and drive sales, it can be overwhelming for some and lack direction and positive reinforcement. Some new employees want somebody holding their hand the whole time, Grimco isn't like that.
    4) Review process is formal but typically isn't thorough enough. Employees need to keep in contact with their manager to ensure they are fulfilling expectations to really know their status. Some employees feel they are exceling and are shocked to hear they are not.

Keep the family feel as the company continues to grow, but become more formal throughout the company. The small feel of the company will create loyal employees but there needs to be less "drama" surrounding personnel and operations.

The aggressive mind state to take market share everyday is exciting to work for. I hope the company continues to bring this thought process throughout my tenure and can motivate new employees to buy into it long term.

Overall this company genuinely cares about its employees, the customers, and is on an exciting path towards owning the industry they play in. New hires couldn't have more long term opportunities if they bring the right personality and drive.

Add as much talent as possible, and quickly! Being aggressive can limit us long term without more great employees.

CDR

Current Employee - CDR in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - CDR in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you take care of Grimco, they will most definitely take care of you. This is my first job out of college, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in sales, or to someone who knows they want to be in a business setting, but aren't quite sure of what they want from it. You're given so many opportunities to grow the company and work from every angle of the business. There's always a new opportunity - you just have to want it. Aside from just the company as a whole, the people I get to work with everyday are amazing. It's a very positive, fun, and exciting environment.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility. As previously mentioned, you're presented with so many amazing opportunities and clients, that it does get difficult to juggle. It has definitely taught me to prioritize. It's a constant, growing, changing company, so there's always something new to tackle. There are times that it's tough to get it all done because our sales focus changes so frequently.

n/a... Another beautiful thing about Grimco? You're able to shoot suggestions over to them anytime you want. I feel comfortable enough with my company that I've given them all the suggestions I have. There's no need to give "advice" on a reviews website... I just pick up the phone / shoot an email with my inquiry, and we have an actual conversation about it.

Hard Work Equals Endless Opportunity

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Grimco is the kind of company that rewards hard work in a big way. If you want a company that is going to give you endless opportunities for career growth, Grimco is the place. The company promotes from within so you have every opportunity to work hard and prove yourself and build a long career with the company. It is a fast paced sales environment with great pay, incentives, and great people around you and across the entire company.

You have the ability to build your own path in a company that is growing larger by the day. More opportunities create themselves in every aspect of the business as the company grows and it builds a career and not just a job for everyone that is willing to put in the hard work and dedication. I myself have seen the company grow and change over the years, and couldn't be happier to continue to be a part of it.

Cons

There are not many cons I can think of. The company continues to be a great place to work and gives everyone all the opportunity in the world.

Company full of opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Management in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Personal growth is by far the key highlight to this company. It is a "Good to Great" kind of company. Very forward thinking, always looking toward its good people to improve, always evolving to stay ahead of the industry. What impresses me most is how many decisions are made to invest in our people and internal systems to help ensure our stability and success for decades to come.

Every opportunity to grow within the company is mine to grab. It's a very goal-driven company. I am always asked what my personal goals are, what I hope to do some day, and what the company can do to help support my goals. And more importantly, we then set plans to help make those things happen.

I definitely think that the company is family-oriented, reminding its good people that family is first....I have countless stories to support this truth. I have always had opportunities to take charge and try new things if I want. I feel well compensated. I've compared Grimco to many other companies, and few other companies offer the growth path both in responsibility and income potential that I've seen at Grimco.

Cons

Perhaps I've been with the company too long, but I cannot think of any cons. Any possible con I might consider has an overwhelming pro to wipe it out.
    If you can call it a "con", I'd say that constant change is a guarantee here. At all levels, we are challenged to get stronger, adjust to market conditions/competition, and not just trot down the same path every time. If constant activity and routine change (I call it "opportunities to do more") are not your cup of tea, it can be difficult for that type of person to adapt. But if you want to be successful and learn how a great business is run, then there isn't a better place for that. A strong, stable company is hard to find these days, but I truly believe that this is one of them.

Keep striving to get better and find great future employees to be our leaders. The key to my success doesn't just lie in my hands, it lies in the hands of our future employees.