Guess? Reviews

373 reviews filtered by
2.7
Guess? Vice Chairman and CEO Paul Marciano
Paul Marciano

Pros
  • Factory, you have 40% employee discount for regular price items and the markdowns are really good (in 32 reviews)

• You get a 40% discount and they are very flexible regarding a schedule (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • They promote work life balance but don't really stand by it (in 12 reviews)

• While most upper management was pretty fair, there was some politics that got in the way sometimes (in 17 reviews)

1. Co-manager

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Guess? (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment nice people to work with

Cons

High sales goals above reasonable traffic ratios

2. Sales

I have been working at Guess? part-time

Pros

Theres always work to be done so you're never bored. Lots of contests, good work environment.

Cons

The DMs change a lot & they can sometimes contradict one another.

Advice to Management

Continue to be a leader, not a boss. Better organization within districts and regions.

3. Sales Associate

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

Love working with everyone there, great management, rewarding, awesome perks, the fashion style is great for those who love to be out at events and parties.

Cons

So much folding and what seems like long work hours because of that. Customers are entitled; much like other retail stores

5. Administrative Assistant

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Guess? as a contractor

Pros

not a lot of work expected, and beautiful office

Cons

Micromanaging owners, and a lot of gossiping girls. Not very professional.

Advice to Management

Hire better talent

6. cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Guess? full-time

Pros

pretty good no much work after holidays so not many hours either

Cons

after the holidays they drastically cut your hours so you don't get as much money.

7. Sales Associate

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

Fun to work in retail, great discount and you get to dress up customers how you want.

Cons

very high focus on sales, not for you if you don't like pushing customers and focusing on sales.

8. Not worth it

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount - 50% during months we made the store goal
    Was hired even though I had no previous retail experience
    The managers in charge of training were very thorough and patient

Cons

You're required to do commission work for hourly pay. You must attack customers from the moment they walk through the doors and essentially harass them until you get them into a dressing room, where you are then required to bring them multiple pairs of shoes and alternate outfit options, whether or not the customer wants them. But even when you make a sale of several hundred dollars, you only receive a fixed hourly rate.

Company policy forbids managers from leaving the sales floor during their designated hours. This means the sales associates end up doing all of their work - bringing the manager's customers to the dressing rooms, checking on them, getting different sizes from the sales floor and heels from the back, ringing them at the register - and getting none of the credit. On days I was the only sales associate on the floor I could work 8 hours and end up selling less than $100 because the managers had taken all of the sales. This meant I would be scheduled for fewer hours the next week, earning me less pay, while the managers were still guaranteed their salaries.

Required to be "branded" at work - dress sexy, full face of makeup, wearing heels. Means extra hours outside of work getting ready, and long, painful days running around in stilettos.

I was promised during my interview that if I performed well during my first two weeks, I could start the stylist program, which would involve scheduling my own hours, a pay raise, and earning commission for my sales. I was the top sales associate during my first two weeks - and then was told that they'd have to see how I did for another two weeks, another month, another month after that, etc etc. After 4 months with the company I discovered that a sales associate who had been there for two YEARS was "on track" for the stylist program...but was no closer to it than I was.

*Might be location specific* The Beverly Center requires employees to pay for parking and Guess did not figure out a good way around this. The sales associates had to fight to be one of the top sales associates to earn a parking pass. Since parking could cost up to a full hours' pay every day, this created competition and ill feelings amongst each other rather than teamwork. Meanwhile management constantly told us to put the store first and help each other out, even though doing so would cost us money. Each manager also had a different idea of what it was that earned you a parking pass, so there were multiple weeks that I should have had one and didn't.

Advice to Management

Don't lie during interviews. The hiring manager knew I could not achieve the requirements for entering the stylist program within two weeks, but I took this job over other offers because of the promise of more pay and flexible hours.

Making sales associates compete with you and with each other for sales only fosters resentment. Your salary is guaranteed - their hours are not. Managers should be making sure the store does well as a whole rather than focusing on their own numbers.

9. An overall good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Desk in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Desk in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, generally nice employees, thorough training & a great discount for good quality clothing. Room to grow

Cons

High pressure to sell w/ no commission, you're given high SPA goals and if you don't reach them you're treated less than other employees. Also for girls, heels for work is dress code. Can be fun but also painful after awhile

Advice to Management

If you're going to pressure you're employees to sell so severely, maybe offer a bonus or something a little more worth it than positive recognition.

10. Potential to be very rewarding

I worked at Guess?

Pros

* you will meet some amazing people and life long friends
    *develops your retail skills
    *discount

Cons

* new management means a new way things are ran - lots of turnovers

Advice to Management

Don't just come In and clean house when. Your new - validate the talent within and coach where needed

11. I worked at Guess?

Pros

employee discounts, fun atmosphere, nice clothing, competitve wages

Cons

long hours, can be slow at times,

Guess? Photos

GUESS? Inc. West Edmonton Mall
Outside of guess, window display, flagship store

+ Add Photo