H E B

Updated 19 August 2014

4.0

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, managers are generally nice, great work environment (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • as with all retail jobs, there is poor work-life balance, chaotic scheduling (in 16 reviews)

• Can become full-time as positions open up, or as department budget constraints allow (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, solid coworkers

Former Employee - School of Retail Leadership  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - School of Retail Leadership in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

This company cares about its people and their well being. I ended up having to leave my position due to health reasons and the process was smooth and I felt extremely supported the whole time. Great company to work for!

Cons

Long hours and inconsistent schedule made it tough at times. Pay was average.

Understanding that it is a tough business, continue to treat employees with respect and the company will continue to do well.

Store Director

Former Employee - Store Director  in  Waco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Director in Waco, TX (US)

Pros

HEB is a great company to work for. Many employees stay with the company for over 20 years. The company offers great salaries and a great caring culture. The hours are not excessive and great work environment. The company also offers unmatched benefits!

Cons

The only con I can think of is that you have to work all the holidays pretty much. Some lengthy travel is required at times if not willing to relocate

Cashier (Part-time)

Former Employee - HEB Cashier  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - HEB Cashier in San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros

The store that I worked for had great people working there. I got along with all of my co-workers and managers. The pay was good for what the job is and raises were given every three months. I had worked there for three years and my pay had increased greatly over that period of time.

Cons

None that I could think of.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

27 cents a bag. Yes, seriously.

Former Employee - Checker  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Checker in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

The company gives incentives like $100 bills, gift cards, and my store had regular upselling competitions. Nothing like being handed extra money on the register.
    I miss Partner Perks every single time I go grocery shopping.
    It's a decent part time job, if > 25 hours a week suits your lifestyle. You are guaranteed a raise twice a year.
    Mentioning partner perks again, because groceries add up and 10% off HCF, own brand, and the occasional freebie, were well worth the standing in one place for hours on end and constant bemoaning of the Austin Bag Ban.

Cons

You would get a single 4 hour shift at the end of the month and literally watch a manager walk a group of new hires to the conference room so they could watch their orientation video. The lack of hours was extremely frustrating especially when the following week started a new month and your schedule was PACKED and that following Thursday's check looked glorious, only for the rest of your month to be free as a bird and broke as a joke.

Friendly/fair work enviorment

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros

Plenty of staff scheduled to not be over worked, great full time health benefits and holiday vacation hours, 2 raises yearly

Cons

little room to move up and starting base pay is lower than most

start pay at higher lv for busier locations

Central Market -HEB is serious about food!

Pros

If you dream about food 24/7 this is the place for you! They "walk the talk" about employee culture being like family. Outstanding benefits. Work hard/play hard. Involved with community and will take action in natural disaster events with food for those left in need. Big hearted company.

Cons

Pay. The pay raise structure does not keep up with the cost of living. Otherwise, fantastic company to work for.

Pay the folks that keep your business alive.

Overall an Excellent Employer

Current Employee - Hourly Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Hourly Manager in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

This company genuinely strives to do the right things by its partners and customers. The Bold Promise can be summarized with the statement "We are a people company that sells groceries." Many companies have mission statements in which they claim to value their people, but at HEB it is a part of everyday life. Career development and growth are definitely highly encouraged, but you have to do the work. Everyone is busy, all the time. While the people you need to learn from are happy to take the time out for you, it is each partner's responsibility to be persistent in getting the attention and time of the person you need.

Other pros include benefits which are inclusive of same sex partners from health insurance to life insurance and generally (I am certain this varies from store to store, but in all the places I have worked in Austin it is true) acceptance from peers. If you can pull your weight and do your job, you are an equal. The flexible work schedule is great. My coworkers are fantastic. Being passionate about food, customer service, and a strong work ethic is rewarded.

Cons

The grocery business is definitely not easy and not for everyone. You will work most weekends. You will be on your feet for your entire eight hour shift. Customers can be truly awful. Bad managers and leaders are present; despite the best attempts to create a company culture of great bosses, people who are not great do slip through the system. The pay is good for the industry, but it takes a lot of time, effort, and career growth to reach a point of significant financial compensation.

There is definitely still a "boys club" mentality in the grocery department (and I am certain many others), but if you do your job well, gender is irrelevant.

Go above and beyond on health insurance benefits, particularly for pregnancy, mental health, and alternative medicine (chiropractic, acupuncture, etc). Those things are not inexpensive, but a healthier workforce is more productive and we are busting our butts with CID to improve efficiency!

Great Experiences, Enjoyed it!

Former Employee - HEB Cashier/Bagger  in  College Station, TX (US)
    Former Employee - HEB Cashier/Bagger in College Station, TX (US)

Pros

Great entry level pay for college students/entry level workers. Can switch shifts with co-workers easily. Got to meet many new friendly faces and it was great for getting more comfortable with small talk with random people. Did a lot of good for my communication skills. A LOT better than the jobs my friends had part time while they were in school!

Cons

a good number of the supervisors were immature at times because the store was in a college town, but not very hard to overlook with the other positives.

Try to be sure that employees with bad people skills don't run rampant in supervisory roles.

Great honest company to work for, the people are nice and its just a good steady job.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Friendly, good hours, good pay

Cons

Hectic work environment, lousy customers, busy weekends

I loved working at HEB and was sorry to leave due to health

Former Employee - Showtime Representative  in  Waco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Showtime Representative in Waco, TX (US)

Pros

Great people to work with, fun atmosphere, Benefits were exceptional and I LOVED my job in Showtime!

Cons

standing for long hours, I had a new young manager that was clueless, but open to suggestion

Try to get out of the box and get creative with your management. Sometimes your more creative staff see you as drones.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!