HARMAN International
www.harman.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

HARMAN International Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
HARMAN International – Querétaro – “Reception”

HARMAN International Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Revenue generation by sales at any price and margin management by cost cutting isn't a recipe for success"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It started outsourcing to "low cost countries" later then other companies but it caught up really fast"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best company to work with

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsBest in quality of work.
Packages are at par with market.
Work life balance.
If you love to take ownership of your work, this is the company for you.

ConsThe seating facilities need to be improved.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sr SW Engg I

Senior Software Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time

Prossalary
great work life balance

ConsNo clear roadmap
no onsite opp.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove some middle management

They really need a reality Check!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsGood technical work, nice learnability
Work Life balance.

ConsMiddle level management is horrible, they think they own the company

Advice to Senior Managementvalue you employees better

software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunities to be an Automotive expert.

ConsOften worked over time and too many jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementReasonable to assign job loads.

Check

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HARMAN International full-time

ProsExcellent products and brand. Very good group of engineers

ConsOf early bunch of leadership team, some failed while others did well. Current country head follows his own vision than organisation or employee vision. He is unapproachable. Lacks vision to give proper environment and infrastructure for employees. Facilities manager has no idea about infrastructure and facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive proper facilities to employees

Procurement

Procurement, Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time

Pros- challanging environment
- constant growth of business
- global organization
- sexy products

Cons- constant pressure, limited ressources
- very financial metrics driven
- quarterly thinking, no long term planing

Advice to Senior Managementknow your business better and have more respect for your stakeholders

Very Good and Flexible Work Environment and Work Culture, good background work done by HR and Management

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is an excellent place to work. The Leadership team is very good, and the HR Director and Business HR team is very approachable. Good background work done on policies which are very employee friendly. I look forward to coming to work. I like my colleagues. The work is very interesting and good.

ConsInfrsatructure needs a lot of improvement. This does not look like a product company. Sometimes our counterparts in other countries treat us like vendors which is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and friendly and take regular feedback from employees

Overall a positive place to work

I have been working at HARMAN International

ProsOffice was a friendly environment
Employees get great discounts on products

ConsThey were really going through a lot of changes that changed the culture of the company
Systems are very outdated

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more benefits to employees

Harman India needs a reality check

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products. Good middle management and a lot of good engineers.

ConsDirectors - a group of incompetent lot. The avg # of years of experience for management team is around 12-13 years (they like to call themselves young leadership team but for the employees it is the inexperience that killing ) more than building the organization these jokers are busy making their careers. There is no vision for employees. Mainly because the HR Director herself lacks people vision, is unapproachable , and lacks experience to build good policies. This company thinks of today and not for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new group of leaders and revamp the organization structure. Good people are leaving the company, because they have the guts to speak up and the Directors are insecure. If no steps taken now, another 3 years , nobody will like to join Harman India. People make a good organization so try to be people focus.

Not for everyone

Various Functions (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat engineering teams so incredible products.

ConsYou will find only one, at most 3 people at the leadership level in HQ that are competent. Most should not be at the executive level. Direct quote from someone on the executive team “People that have MBA are just show offs”. What!? And this quote is not “taken out of context”. Is says exactly what you think it says. If you don’t believe me when I say that skills are lacking at the top, just attending one of the open “investor” calls (very embarrassing for Harman).

The CEO dictates the culture of the company and unfortunately, that is not his strength. He is no doubt a person with strong financial skills, but he is far from being a mature leader. HR leadership at the top level, especially in the US is second rate, actually, let me correct myself, third rate, at best. Turnover rates are of course horrible! They try to hire the best (and from top companies) and guess what The best end up leaving (usually within the first year to a year and a half) due to a complete lack of professionalism and expertise at the VP level. People at the top, get promoted purely based on friendships. You better be having personal dinners with the CEO for you to be one of the “favorites”. Funny enough, the CEO is bold enough to mention this in one of his recent articles published in New York Times (way to go communications department). Last, but not least, if you are a woman, stay away! No matter how intelligent and accomplished you are, you will be just an object to look at, nothing more. Do your research, talk to people that worked there (you can always find them on LinkedIn).

The success of the company is built purely on the passion of the acoustics engineering teams (I am not an engineer but their contribution is what keeps the company going). What goes on at Harman is shameful and there is no-one to stop it. Now, are the products exciting? Yes. Can the job be challenging and interesting? Yes. But be aware, is you are someone from one of the best-in-class organizations and are used to mature leadership, you will not find that here. It just does not exist. This will not change unless the CEO is replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do have some incredible people working for you, let them help you create a 21st century culture in your organization. Your way or the highway is obviously not working. You have great products that people enjoy around the world, stop screwing it up.

Worked for HARMAN International? Contribute to the Community!

HARMAN International Videos

HARMAN International – Why Work for Us?

​​ARE YOU READY TO GIVE A LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE?​​ ​ HARMAN is the parent company behind an array of world-renowned brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson®, Lexicon®, and Infinity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HARMAN International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for HARMAN International CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by HARMAN International employees.