HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security (in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Intense.

Analyst (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsLearn a lot, you're around people more important than you'll ever be, and it's high-flying investment banking.

ConsLong hours, tedious work, a lot of chair time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Definitely a great place to be at for commercial bankers

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Bangkok (Thailand)

ProsInteresting stuffs besides traditional banking jobs. HSBC Global Markets department would expose you to the various banking products and the different functions within its treasury department e.g. DCM/ECM, sales and trading, risk management and etc. Defitnitely learned a lot.

ConsLow exposure to financial moduling stuffs. HSBC is not known for its investment banking house.

Global Markets Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsVery good working atmosphere.
    Dynamic/smart colleagues.

ConsStress of the trading floor
    Low salary (intern)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dynamic and interesting place to work

Associate, Global Markets (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood salary. Smart, friendly colleagues. A globally respected company. A great office location in the centre of Canary Wharf.

ConsLarge open plan office isn't the most ideal work environment in my opinion. Some colleagues are smart but there are plenty who aren't that capable.

Not for the little people.

Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) Salford, North West England, England (UK)

ProsNice people (staff grade), lax attitude towards development unless you want it, rarely overworked, easygoing approach to flexibility, overtime available constantly (voluntary), good number of holidays.

ConsPoor pay and reward even of you achieve, or over achieve; poor quality management; belligerent senior management; culture of fear and persecution encouraged; management by spreadsheet; too much bell curve and Six Sigma; no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe gulf between what is on paper a good employer and what is happening on the shop floor could not be wider. Command structures need to be filled with those brave enough to speak their minds and capable enough to admit when they are wrong not simply bully, bully, bully. The pay for the majority of staff (the bottom three grades) needs seriously overhauling if any degree of loyalty is expected. The reliance on thousands of agency staff needs to be addressed as it creates a horrid two tier system which breeds abuse and dissent, as well as undermining the management messages. Finally a degree of honesty as yet unborn needs bringing into the world otherwise people will continue to read about their employer in the news and find out that a lot of what they are told at work is a bit less than true which affects almost every aspect of what people do. If people's loyalty isn't to be bought, it must be earned. At the moment managers are doing neither for their staff members.

mostly bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood office
    Nice break out areas
    good extra curricular activities

ConsManagers are not good
    No transparency of ideas
    Stealing credit
    worst transport
    worst chairs not ergonomic

Advice to Senior Managementwhen many leave cos of a manager its better to fire him/her
    rather than spend time and energy to hire train and absorb new talent only to lose them again..
    its a vicious circle..

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal network is extremely helpful. Colleagues always willing to help, frequent feedback opportunities as well as opportunities to do activities outside work eg volunteering.

ConsIt can feel quite bureaucratic sometimes ---but that might be true in any large, international firm such as this. And the role I was in was quite restrictive, so I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again.

A systematic bank

HSBC Student Trainee (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsFamous and lots of experience

ConsNo cons for this company

Healthy office culture, benefits are good, salary and bonus could be better

Procurement/Data Management (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery good work vs life balance, it's relatively laid back and due to its sheer size, there are opportunities to move around. Open plan office lay out is great. Gym on 5th floor is used by lots of employees and makes a welcome relief from Canary wharf lunch breaks.

ConsPays less than other tier 1 investment banks

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be hit and miss, company values promote openness, taking responsibility and being respectable towards others.

My HSBC experience

Communications Business Partner (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExcellent office facilities in Canary Wharf; great people in London and Southampton; good understanding of the need for work/life balance

ConsSome in-house politics which can get in the way of doing the work; difficult to get in touch with people sometimes as employees are constantly travelling

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!