HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated 24 August 2014

3.4

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver
Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security (in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Very useful experience if seeking a banking career

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Athens (Greece)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Athens (Greece)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Organized structure. Training programmes. Excellent colleagues Not enough space for promotions

Cons

Pure middle management which is not leads the employees. Lack of leadership

Try to change your evaluation procedures. Medium management is poor and unfortunately the qualitative methods used are not fair enough

Excellent employer

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at HSBC Holdings as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work
    Very good working conditions and environment, largely shielded from the corporate politics
    Very nice people

Cons

Limitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand.

Limitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand mans you do not end up with the best solution.

Good opportunities to move around different business areas and countries

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Whilst salary can be lower than comparable jobs in industry, the total reward package including pension and share options make this better than other companies. Once you are in the organisation it is possible to gain exposure if differing business areas and also take on secondments and transfers to other countries. Excellent place to work for young families due to flexibility with working hours and maternity/return to work options.

Cons

As with any business of this size and considering the climate and strategy, job security can not be guaranteed. There are annual issues across teams when forcing a bell curve to rank individuals. This is meant to be changing but can't see it shifting to a complete revamp of the mid-year and annual review cycle.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love HSBC!

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

I worked at HSBC for 9 years with the Training and Development team. What an awesome group of people!

Cons

I have nothing but great things to say about HSBC. I enjoyed my 9 year there!

Good place for a start up as Officer or Manager.

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President of Banking Operation  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President of Banking Operation in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Process is fully implemented.
    - Always could find help from upper reporting line.

Cons

- Below market average pay if level is not high.
    - Reach ceiling when promoted to AVP level.
    - Not competitive pay compared on the market.

- They need to focus on reform and provide more opportunity to staff.

Intense.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn a lot, you're around people more important than you'll ever be, and it's high-flying investment banking.

Cons

Long hours, tedious work, a lot of chair time.

None.

Not for the little people.

Former Employee - Customer Service Officer  in  Salford, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Officer in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice people (staff grade), lax attitude towards development unless you want it, rarely overworked, easygoing approach to flexibility, overtime available constantly (voluntary), good number of holidays.

Cons

Poor pay and reward even of you achieve, or over achieve; poor quality management; belligerent senior management; culture of fear and persecution encouraged; management by spreadsheet; too much bell curve and Six Sigma; no job security.

The gulf between what is on paper a good employer and what is happening on the shop floor could not be wider. Command structures need to be filled with those brave enough to speak their minds and capable enough to admit when they are wrong not simply bully, bully, bully. The pay for the majority of staff (the bottom three grades) needs seriously overhauling if any degree of loyalty is expected. The reliance on thousands of agency staff needs to be addressed as it creates a horrid two tier system which breeds abuse and dissent, as well as undermining the management messages. Finally a degree of honesty as yet unborn needs bringing into the world otherwise people will continue to read about their employer in the news and find out that a lot of what they are told at work is a bit less than true which affects almost every aspect of what people do. If people's loyalty isn't to be bought, it must be earned. At the moment managers are doing neither for their staff members.

mostly bad

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

Good office
    Nice break out areas
    good extra curricular activities

Cons

Managers are not good
    No transparency of ideas
    Stealing credit
    worst transport
    worst chairs not ergonomic

when many leave cos of a manager its better to fire him/her
    rather than spend time and energy to hire train and absorb new talent only to lose them again..
    its a vicious circle..

HSBC - Streamlining

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

Good culture and Work-Life Balance

Cons

Do not value their staff

Put the customer first, not the bottom line

Friendly working environment but little challenge

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and work-life balance. I had 8.30-7 hours for most of the time I worked at HSBC, and found little need for face time. I also had supportive coworkers from whom I learned a lot. Very friendly atmosphere - definitely not cut throat the way some banks are described as being.

Cons

Underchallenged for 75% of the time that I spent in this role (2 years), and I'm guessing that many other people had the same experience - even on a supposed fast track the learning curve levels off quickly. Not for the extremely ambitious.

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!