Habitat for Humanity Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

4.1

Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford

Pros
  • You're able to really make a difference in the lives of people in need (in 6 reviews)

• The work is very rewarding because you are helping people in need (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • this place is non-profit so there's really not much wrong with it (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount of work required (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

it was a good company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

And workng with people and my Management we were a good team i like what was doing

Cons

i was happy working with my team we help each other

my management was happy with my job so he didn't have to give any advice

great mission statement... some truly take this to heart

Current Employee - RSA  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - RSA in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

job diversity get to think on your feet and come up with new solutions for ever changing inventory.

Cons

some rules are tossed out the door. hiring process lacks a lot. Unqualified people in positions they know nothing about. Pricing of merchandise has a double standard depending on if it is priced for an employee or a customer. Receiving area is a holding place for merchandise to be first picked over by employees before customers can have an option of purchasing. Some unusual items are priced do low that the full amount is not realized by HFH, sales could be so much better. some prices are very low depending on the likes or dislikes of the dock worker at the time.

Place a mole in the stores and on the trucks to work along beside your workers. Make this a person with knowledge of the construction trades and sales/retail, you will be surprised to hear what customers have to say and also what your cherished employees are doing. You will hear more if the persons job is not on the line. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED!

This was an excellent & valuable volunteer experience

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is character-building experience that is invaluable.

Cons

I have no cons for the time I spent volunteering with this organization

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Complete lack of focus on the mission, ego driven, upper management fighting all the time, very high turnover

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity part-time for less than a year

Pros

Volunteers are very giving of their time, want to help the organization

Cons

Paranoid management, directors always fighting with each other, Executive Director does nothing about the issues in the organization, my first week there 4 people quit, mission is never talked about

Focus on why we are there-to build houses for low-income houses, not build up your egos. I worry for the future for this local chapter.

A wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Salem, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Salem, OR (US)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern for less than a year

Pros

you're learning new skills while helping people to get a home

Cons

The building wasn't weatherized so too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

Awkward Summer Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This company has a great mission and is an effective proponent of affordable and quality housing. That being said, note that while they are somewhat in the "construction" sector they are by no means a company that takes on builders, engineers, architects, planners, etc. They hire independent consultants for all of that.

Cons

If you aren't in business or management, this isn't the place for you. Having knowledge of the construction industry helps but it makes you more knowledgeable than you need to be, and in the wrong areas.

Allows a great opportunity to grow or if retired bring in some extra income while helping grow an organization.

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

provides good benefits, a diverse work group, community interaction is high, ability to move up (which could be slow), locations around the US and world.

Cons

Low wages, at times it is hard to get full time, mission is to help families in need but they fail to help their employees in need. I think they could build smaller and more affordable homes.

Take better care of those that work within the organization and affiliates. You should even count those as families served.

Rewarding, lifechanging, and invaluable learning experiences

Former Employee - Microfinance Intern  in  Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Microfinance Intern in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Human impact, immense learning-on-the-job opportunities, supportive network

Cons

Early morning travel, work culture a little too involved and pervasive

There is not a lot of room for improvement or motivation.

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Working with the volunteers is rewarding

Cons

Pretty unorganized environment and demanding

Most unchristian Christian organization

Former Employee - To Revealing to Put In  in  Toledo, OH (US)
    Former Employee - To Revealing to Put In in Toledo, OH (US)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

To be able to work for an cause that you believe in and to assist people in creating new lives.

Cons

Many of the affiliates are so used to rely on volunteers to help that they feel that their employees are supposed to be like volunteers: by working for an minimum wage and sacrifice everything for them.

The affiliate I worked at had had a super CEO that everyone absolutely loved and that expanded it from one that built 1 or 2 houses a year to about 20 a year. After him there was a row of CEO's and interim CEO's. When one was finally found. The place was run more like an corporation than a place with a heart and an important cause to carry on. The CEO salary tripped while 10 of the 12 staff was dismissed. Kind of embarrassing when the CEO is driving an Mercedes SUV into disadvantaged neighborhoods and hard for staff to explain that they cannot be helped due to not enough budget.

In general the affiliate was very christian, which is fine, but they would marginalize people who are not. Also embarrassing when the white Midwestern conservative staff is trying to put on a "Christian" face an invite the "other faith" partner family to a party for them with hot dogs including pork. They never even realized why people were not partaking in the food. Also, I do not think the partner families know how much badmouthing some of the staff is giving behind their back. Saying things like how needy they are and how ungrateful. In the end this affiliate has hurt a lot of people, including myself and previous coworkers. Still get a stomach ache when the organizations name comes up.

If thinking about joining the organization in any way shape or form, please check out the various affiliates and how they really operate and not the glossy face they put on to the community.

Worked for Habitat for Humanity? Contribute to the Community!