Harland Clarke

Updated 16 December 2014
3.3

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 7 reviews)

• Check order is a dying industry and no future in that line of work (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good culture, constantly evolving business

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Good, talented, forward thinking leadership

Cons

Average pay and benefits if you are not in sales

It's about cost take out vs. valuing committed employees

Current Employee - Drone
    Current Employee - Drone

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Well recognized company in the market

Cons

Always trying to keep people from ear I g too much money. Capped earnings and inwardly focused control freak "leadership" stopped investing in people years ago. Unlike John H Harland Co., Harland Clarke has tunnel vision when it comes to a broad view of what it takes to be a great company.

Look in the mirror then resign

To Big For Their Own Good

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good managers and really great people

Cons

Micro-managmenment killed the spirit of a great company

start over

A good start

Current Employee - Production Artist in New Braunfels, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Production Artist in New Braunfels, TX (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

friendly people, plenty of work to be done, relatively up to date office, good communication between employees, wide variety of people work there

Cons

plenty of technical blockers, production can be slow, work in position can be very dull and redundant.

An amazing company to work for. They have fun and enjoy working with the entire office

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company offers several opportunities to volunteer in our community. They have a great Diversity and Inclusion team, as well as above average training.

Cons

No longer have a call center in Colorado. The closure did not offer paid transfers for anyone wanting to stay with the company.

Make certain each employee is given the rate of pay they deserve.

Shipper

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

great pay, easy job, love job

Cons

gets a little boring, coworkers can be rude

Stuck in the Stone Ages

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Nice, considerate and friendly employees
    - Work/life balance

Cons

- Harland Clarke is in the business of preserving existing businesses and market share, not developing new products or services nor creating value in the market. They are dying a slow death, or as the leadership likes to say, "managed decline."
    - There's an inability to innovate within the company, which is both cultural and structural. Attempts to drive new growth channels internally have failed, largely because the slow-moving organization can't get out of the way of itself. Since organic growth isn't happening, they've looked externally and purchased Valassis for $1.8 billion. So now when junk mail fills your mailbox each week (such as Red Plum) you'll know that this is Harland Clarke's new and exciting growth vehicle for the business
    - A fear of making decisions permeates throughout the organization. Employees are "yes-men" at every level of the organization, from production line workers to the CEO, who follows MacAndrews & Forbes
    - The employee base, while very kind and friendly, is the most unhealthy I've ever seen in terms of weight, diet, exercise, etc. While HC offers health care, I found private market insurance to be more affordable because, as an employee on the company's health care plan, I'm subsidizing so many unhealthy co-workers. And when it comes to their health and wellness department, tobacco cessation is their #1 priority...another reminder that this company is stuck in decades past

Figure out how you are going to provide real value to customers across the next decade, and position the company for the future. You missed the electronic payments boom 10-15 years ago, you missed the mobile payments boom of the past five years, and judging by the $1.8B acquisition of Valassis, you see the future as being more targeted junk mail in people's mailboxes. Meanwhile your employee base is aging, your technology is outdated, the businesses of your key customers are struggling, and companies are innovating all around you. Sadly, since the entire executive leadership team is male, grey haired and balding, they can coast into the sunset of retirement by continuing to effectively "manage the decline" of this business. But meanwhile, there are two full generations of smart, talented employees who would never think twice about joining Harland Clarke because they want to be part of the future, not the past.

Good pay and benefits, if you don't mind being treated like a robot.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the pay and the benefits, I also made quite a few lifelong friends. When I worked there raises were very much affected by your performance and that can be a good or bad thing.

Cons

I felt like they expected me to be a robot. There was very little room for human error. Also they were very very strict on adherence to your schedule, even if you missed your break because you were stuck on a phone call for them it was likely that your adherence score for the day would go way down increasing your chances of getting written up,

Fun and interesting place to work.

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Harland Clarke. There was a lot of involvement with the United Way program and all the work that the employees and upper management did for the cause benefited a lot of people in need. There were also a lot of work incentive games that made the place fun to work at.

Cons

The only issue I had while working there was that there were times that the upper management seemed to be more concerned with making the client happy than actually listening to what the agents on the phones encountered. We were even told that the client wanted feedback on the daily encounters to see what we would suggest as possible improvements but it seemed to fall on dead ears.

Take the time and listen to what the front line people were seeing so that it can potentially assist with creating a better relationship with the client.

Strong culture, high performing company, great people

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Some of the most talented people I have ever met. High performance culture, built on a foundation of Malcolm Baldrige, that expects the most of its people.

Cons

High performance and high pressure can go hand in hand. If you want to be challenged, grow as a professional and learn what an honest day's work looks like, this is a great company for you.

The people are the secret sauce. Honor that fact.