Harland Clarke

Updated 16 October 2014
3.3

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 7 reviews)

• Dying industry - mass consolidations and lay offs (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A good start

Current Employee - Production Artist in New Braunfels, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Production Artist in New Braunfels, TX (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

friendly people, plenty of work to be done, relatively up to date office, good communication between employees, wide variety of people work there

Cons

plenty of technical blockers, production can be slow, work in position can be very dull and redundant.

An amazing company to work for. They have fun and enjoy working with the entire office

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company offers several opportunities to volunteer in our community. They have a great Diversity and Inclusion team, as well as above average training.

Cons

No longer have a call center in Colorado. The closure did not offer paid transfers for anyone wanting to stay with the company.

Make certain each employee is given the rate of pay they deserve.

Shipper

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

great pay, easy job, love job

Cons

gets a little boring, coworkers can be rude

Good pay and benefits, if you don't mind being treated like a robot.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the pay and the benefits, I also made quite a few lifelong friends. When I worked there raises were very much affected by your performance and that can be a good or bad thing.

Cons

I felt like they expected me to be a robot. There was very little room for human error. Also they were very very strict on adherence to your schedule, even if you missed your break because you were stuck on a phone call for them it was likely that your adherence score for the day would go way down increasing your chances of getting written up,

Fun and interesting place to work.

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Harland Clarke. There was a lot of involvement with the United Way program and all the work that the employees and upper management did for the cause benefited a lot of people in need. There were also a lot of work incentive games that made the place fun to work at.

Cons

The only issue I had while working there was that there were times that the upper management seemed to be more concerned with making the client happy than actually listening to what the agents on the phones encountered. We were even told that the client wanted feedback on the daily encounters to see what we would suggest as possible improvements but it seemed to fall on dead ears.

Take the time and listen to what the front line people were seeing so that it can potentially assist with creating a better relationship with the client.

Decent Pay. Good People

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was decent ($11/hour with the agency taking a few cents off the top.) I got the job through an employment agency so your pay gets bumped up a little if you get hired on full-time after 6 months. The managers were all kind and understanding but firm. Most people you talk to on the phone are reasonably kind and not usually angry.

Cons

They monitor everything you do, so it's possible to feel like you are being micromanaged. Time off is very hard to get, you have to hope you can find someone to take your shift otherwise you are penalized and could be fired. People are sometimes angry if there are problems with their orders or if they don't understand what's going on.

keep treating people well. Offer more incentives for higher performance

"At Least you have a Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD (US)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Local level management is awesome, flexible, understanding. but hands are tied and can't get promotions, raises, new equipment.

Cons

No promotions unless you are a Clarke person or a friend of a Clarke person.
    Don't expect more than 2% annual if your lucky, nothing merit to your pay.
    No option or help on making this a Career....just get through the day without being let go....and behavior and performance really have no bearing on that....

Take care of the employees you have that are willing to do the work, your are going to be left with temps, and the I don't cares.

Strong culture, high performing company, great people

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Some of the most talented people I have ever met. High performance culture, built on a foundation of Malcolm Baldrige, that expects the most of its people.

Cons

High performance and high pressure can go hand in hand. If you want to be challenged, grow as a professional and learn what an honest day's work looks like, this is a great company for you.

The people are the secret sauce. Honor that fact.

Arrogant Management

Former Employee - Tech in High Point, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Tech in High Point, NC (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beats unemployment. Climate controlled and clean workplace.

Cons

Arrogant management who behave as though they're doing you a favor "giving" you run of the mill benefits and below average pay, as though you didn't earn them.
    Hire too many $10 an hour types who have no concern for performing well or making improvements.
    VERY top-down management. All decisions are made for you, no input expected or appreciated. If it wasn't their idea, it is stupid.
    Until they re-propose it themselves.
    Employee pay and increases are based on how little they can get away with, not on your merit or company / department performance.

Stop patting yourselves on the back and challenge employees and reward those who perform, instead of those who suck up and do your dirty work the best. Respect the organizations and employees you partner with and attempt a collaborative approach.

Incompetence everywhere.

Former Employee - Digital Team Member in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Team Member in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. I met some great people.

Cons

incompetency in management, awful hours, too much almost forced overtime, they hire a lot of incompetent people.

Pay employees who do a good job, more money or give them bonuses. It's sad when you work extremely hard, and regularly exceed production goals, but you make just as much money as the person who doesn't do anything their whole shift, and rarely meets their production goals.