Hart Energy Publishing LLLP

Updated 26 February 2015
2.1

Hart Energy Publishing LLLP CEO Richard A. Eichler
Richard A. Eichler

A fish rots from the head

Former Employee - Editor in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Editor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was my out of college job, so that was a plus. The handful of great people I met there all moved on to better opportunities.

Cons

Low pay; C-level executive sleeping with entry level employee; sexist atmosphere; no room for growth; hostile work environment; bonuses are a joke

Quit.

Hart Energy Publishing Employment Review

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The leading business intelligence resource for the Oil & Gas industry. Top line intelligence and a folio of publishing, research and client-specific project work. They run a tight ship and have high demands of their team, but they also take care of their people and create a solid culture that produces top-quality intelligence.

Cons

They have grown exponentially in a small timeframe. They are catching up culturally and operationally from a small company to a larger corporation. Growing pains and challenges. This is not necessarily a negative. It is something to be aware of and an opportunity to contribute to the company's structure and growth.

You are doing well - lead strong and don't forget to listen to your team along the way.

Great work, Poor management

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work, good people, old fashioned work environment with good computer and graphics systems that produce quality products. Whle leaderships is conflicted and confusing, the office culture is generally friendly.

Cons

Worst benefit package, poor managers unresponsive to employees, and poor compensation; no connection between compensation and performance, lack of coordination within related publications, research, etc. While products are high quality, management fails to see the big picture and capitalize on opportunities.

Radically improve HR and compensation plans to retain talented people

Lack of Professionalism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Office location was convenient for me.
    -there is a trader joes next door.
    -there are nice views of the city from the office.

Cons

- Drama and gossip abound. Lots of ego at the top.
    - Lack of professionalism. All kinds of boundaries get crossed and HR seems to look the other way.
    - The upper management does not value employees. I always felt degraded working here.

Treat your employees as an asset and develop them, maybe then you wont see such high turnover. People don't leave because they are afraid of hard work; they leave because they are not valued at Hart.

Pretty good place to work

Current Intern - Research Intern in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Intern - Research Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The hours are very flexible, and the atmosphere is fun and relaxed.

Cons

The pay is pretty low.

Work on better organization and overall direction.

Hart Energy is a growing enterprise...with expected growing pains.

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP

Pros

Some of these reviews are shocking and clearly left by disgruntled employees. What better way to blindly attack a company than by leaving a Glassdoor review. Although I must agree with the fellow pessimist on disorganization here and there, its simply not as degrading as these reviews reveal. The benefits are highly competitive, accessibility to upper management is more than I've seen in any company, the atmosphere and culture is relaxed, they support and encourage innovativeness, and most of all there is a positive outlook on growth and success for hard, dedicated workers.

Cons

I would have to agree that its rumored that salaries are not as competitive as o&g companies and I was offered 15% more at a major o&g company. However, Hart Energy is a publishing company - Not an oil & gas operator.
    More emphasis should be put on training and development and career progression, but it appears that efforts are being made to make that happen.

I would like to see more execution than implementation. Less talking and more doing. It's great to see the enhancement in communication with the new internal communication specialist. This keeps employees outside of the Houston office inside of the loop.

Great Benefits - Not as bad as people make it sound!

Current Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Health Benefits and 401k match
    - PTO and paid holidays (you get almost every holiday plus more)
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Open to new ideas (while some times we struggle to implement them)
    - Entrepreneur spirit
    - You get to deal with all of the Oil & Gas industry and deal with all of the big players
    - Company continues to grow year over year, some growing pains to be expected

Cons

- Needs better communications with in different departments
    - Better training when individuals are hired
    - Still very print focused
    - Troubles adapting to new technology
    - Need to hire more seasoned expertise and less entry level

While still very print focused we are evolving to digital slowly but surely. We need to keep the momentum and continue to evolve.

No Appreciation and No money

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will make good connections in the oil & gas industry. (Hopefully a connection that will offer you a better job).

Cons

Do not pay their employees nearly enough. Upper management is never around and doesn't lead by a good example. Expect you to work more than 40 hours a week with low salaries and no appreciation. They are not up to speed with the latest technological procedures and programs. Everything is done like we still live in the 1980s. The accounting department is terrible. There is little to no communication. Hart expects you to train yourself. You won't learn anything at this company except how not to act as a manager. There is an extremely high turnover.

Start compensating your employees better. Stop withholding bonuses when numbers are met.

Stay Away!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The amount of PTO, paid holidays. and flexible work schedule are the only pros here.

Cons

Pay is not competitive. The work environment is hostile. There is no teamwork or transparency. Upper management is greedy. They with hold commission pay. Products and services are seriously lacking compared to competitors out there. The research and consulting group is such a joke.

Treat your employees fair. Be honest and foster a teamwork environment. instead of isolated superior subgroups. Pay commission in a timely fashion as you're supposed to.