Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized(in 43 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out(in 14 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment(in 13 reviews)

Great part-time experience for students

Student Computing Technician (Former Employee)

Pros- Colleagues are all super smart - they are all Harvard students
    - Cordial working environment
    - Quick promotion: I was able to move from tier 1 to tier 3 in a 3-tier role within 3 semesters
    - Best pay on campus
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons- Bureaucratic structure means that sometimes things get lost in the weeds
    - Cases that are more difficult and thus more exciting need to be escalated to supervisors

Student Research positions

Research Associate (Student) (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Proswork with the best in the field of Public Health; great exposure; good chances of publications; overall, a great experience

Conslow pay per hour (considering Boston is such a high-cost place)

Advice to Senior Managementplease think of revising student pay rates

I have a great English supercomputing boss.

Research Computing Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsI have a rugged looking Englishman as a boss. He laughs a lot and uses strange slang from something called 'Blighty'. Adds a great atmosphere around the computing lab.
    He lets me toy around with a lot of hardware putting it in racks. The lights blink a lot and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

ConsI believe I've been told I've been going pear-shaped. I thought this was an insult on my hips but I think it has something to do with his slang terms.
    Even though he laughs a lot he looks like firemarshall Bill from In Living Color when he does that.

The UPS system makes funny sounds and sometimes smells like battery acid.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you should consider cloud computing approaches or maybe something with hadoop.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed - day to day experience often a function of immediate work group which can change a lot

Project Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsInteresting people, vibrant setting, anything is possible

ConsIt really depends on the immediate working group - some are incredible, some less so. While anything is possible, getting things done can be like pulling teeth because it sometimes feels like everyone has to have or wants to have an opinion even when they don't really need to; this can be tiresome. There are sometimes trust issues, 2nd guessing etc....

Student Worker (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsGained experience from working professionals in a very elite environment

ConsDue to the academia of it all, the wages were pretty low... considering the HUGE endowment and all.

Positive experience at Harvard Kennedy School as a researcher

Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsRelatively good pay, smart colleagues, opportunity to work with top professors. I was give lots of flexibility to fit work around my studies.

ConsSome duplication of efforts. Limited collaboration happening. I discovered two other departments that were working on similar projects to mine but didn't know about one another's work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for more ways to connect professors who are working on similar research.

Fantastic!

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsYou meet the most intellectual groups of people in the world. You may work on serious projects with industry.

ConsToo many snobs. Takes too much time to publish papers, usually starting publishing only after first year for most disciplines.

Good place to work as long as you do not upset the apple cart

ProsGood work life balance and benefits

ConsCulture does not foster innovation and accountability

Great but some iLab staff aren't professional

Graduate Student (Former Employee)

ProsResources, access to talent, workshops.

ConsSome of the Asst Dir iLab frankly have no place bring there. They've never formed a company, cannot recruit top talent for workshops, and not professional when things get complicated. Doesn't understand that startups are nimble and you have to be flexible with things that go on with the team, product, etc. preferential treatment given to HBS only team vs others.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rest on your laurels and really talk to in house teams... When receiving feedback, do something about it after you've gathered it.

Decent

Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsGreat location, looks good on a resume, decent pay and benefits. For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized.

ConsSometimes you have to work longer than the union 9 to 5 hours to get your work done on a deadline, and you are not compensated for that extra time. Depending on your unit or department, there can be quite a lot of hurdles to get through before your voice can be properly heard, or an issue can be resolved, especially if it involves communicating with another department.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!