Hastings Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke

John H. Marmaduke

Pros
  • Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment(in 10 reviews)

• The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life(in 33 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects(in 10 reviews)

Not a good place to work

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Odessa, TX (US)

ProsThe people I worked with were great. I made lifelong friends while working there. But they left, as I did.

ConsThey're too worried about their bottom dollar to care about the employees. We were understaffed and overworked, but everything had to be done, or you could get written up. But don't stay later than midnight! Too many demands, not enough people to get things done, and no compassion for the employees (who run your stores, btw.)

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciate to your staff. They've earned it.

An ok company but store morale was low.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLots of work and never boring.

ConsLow pay, low morale, reduction of hours, and very little help in departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive departments more hours. Worry less about labor hours.

Expects way too much

Book Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFun and nice people! Free coffee samples! And getting too check out new books that come in and being around things you love.

ConsVery bad pay and VERY bad hours. Never in my life would I think this place would give such horrible hours. I would work three to six hours a week! Then I would be off for two whole weeks! And at my 90 days was let go because, "We told you that you had right hours of work to do in three hours. You did not." What kind of company believes that can be done? The spot I had is always hiring because people quit because of the insane exceptions. I was told I was a wonderful and person and so nice and good but because I couldn't do three long lists of work in three hours I was gone. This place is a joke when it comes to working and I would never want to work there again. I did enjoy it and would have stayed if they had actually giving me hours to do work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive hours! My goodness GIVE Hours! If you want your store awesome and great then give people more than three hours a week!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Being an Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

ProsPeople genuinely enjoy shopping at Hastings. There are many departments to choose from.

ConsThe technology is outdated. The stores are run down. Everything is dirty and there isn't enough payroll to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to onboard new hires. Training takes time and people need more time to become comfortable before they can actually help customers.

Good way to boost your resume fast but beware of the awful work experience.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCoworkers are friendly. Fun/laid-back environment. Very easy to get promoted within store. The only people I ever see get fired are the ones who steal. You can get away with pretty much anything. Benefits aren't too bad. Very flexible hours.

ConsPay is awful. Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life. Micro-management like crazy. Opinions or ideas don't matter and it's always your fault if something doesn't work. They treat all employees like thieves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.. you could care less about them and it shows. Wage-freeze yet you're flying around the company jet wherever you like?

Check out some business literature and maybe basic text-book errors wouldn't happen.

Great

Retail Associate (Current Employee) Ardmore, OK (US)

ProsGreat environment to work in

ConsCustomers; Seasonal hours, communication problems between staff

horrible not enough hours

Cashier (Former Employee) Hobbs, NM (US)

Prosdiscount ten percent if that's your thing

Conseverything else stay away its not worth it

Advice to Senior Managementstay away

On the shoulders of minimum wage

Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX (US)

ProsDecent employees at store level, fair share of drama good opportunity for a high school job. New product if you're into entertainment.

ConsTerrible work hours, Terrible hiring processes, Upper management is very detached when one decided to visit your store they comment more on how dusty the store is, rather than positive or improvement points. Finger pointing and favorites are a big part of the experience here. Working crap hours is all but guaranteed, empty promises and chances for "advancement" are just ploys to get their insanely high turnover down.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees and make an effort to see them as human beings not just minions who run around and set add checklists you construct in your office.

Not a bad job.

ProsEasy job, fun time at work, flexible schedules, great coworkers, nice managers, discounts, busy and fast-paced during Christmas season, got to know good customers.

ConsPay was low, I was hired as holiday help and got my hours cut after Christmas, they were very "fire happy" and canned the Store Manager and didn't tell us why.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little more faith in your staff. Communicate better.

My Time to share.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe product and the guests that come into the store were the best reasons for working there To see the pleasure on a person face when you find the item they were looking for when they walked into the store.

Adding a bonus program for the department managers and finally allowing associates to use some of the coupons.

ConsSeeing your position posted on Job sites when you know you are doing a good job can be disheartening.

The upper managements focus on the little add on sales instead of the guest service as a whole. Such as the free magazines, collecting personal information, selling an at times over priced candy. Using these indicators for performance evaluation and job stability.

Seeing the company post a 6.2 million dollar loss and knowing that the top executives are getting 6 figure bonuses. (from publically posted earning reports and annual stock reports to share holders.)

Management needs to learn that what works in one store may not work in another. Each guest is different and wants to be treated in their own way. Don't try to get Grandma to reserve a copy of the new "M" rated game.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't speak negatively about the executive to the store staff. Stay off your sell phones in the office when your on shift. Show up on time, be a good example. don't just assign tasks to the associates actually help them.

Use your veteran staff for their wisdom and training. Don't treat their advice as a waste of time.

Spend money on advertising.

What happened to the "Fish" philosophy of Choose your attitude, Be Present, Make their day and Play?

Labor is not a controllable expense it is the basic of Store survival. People don't shop at stores that are not staffed properly.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!