Hastings Entertainment

www.gohastings.com

Hastings Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Hastings Entertainment – Billings – “Hastings”

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke

John H. Marmaduke

Pros
  • Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment(in 10 reviews)

• The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life(in 33 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects(in 10 reviews)

Executive's Only Think of Themselves

Department Manager (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX (US)

ProsCan't thing of one other than promotions were easy to come by

ConsPromotions were easy to get. Hours were good. Execs have no feelings or care about employees. I was a manager and they did away with my job 10 days before I was vested in the 401 plan. Lost 20% of what the 401 plan would have been worth. Tell me this wasn't planned?

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your buyout while you can. You no doubt will go into bankruptcy.

My time at Hastings was very worthwhile!

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Nampa, ID (US)

ProsThe people I worked with were great, the job wasn't too hard to learn with little experience. It was a good first job to have.

ConsNo hope for raises beyond minimum wage as a customer service associate. Although the synapse magazine bonuses help a little bit if you are good at getting them.

Great first job

Video Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat first job to have. Not ,inch was really expected from me like other big companys.

ConsManagement was kind of immature. I'm pretty sure I was just stuck with a bad manager and is not the case in other stores. The pay did suck.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your department managers more compensation.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very stressful, Very frustrating.

Icm (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co workers, okay discount. If your store has a cafe that's a perk all of its own.

ConsUnrealistic goals, stress stress stress, horrible training.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and don't pass judgment or blame.

Surprisingly difficult and dissatisfying...

Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) Kingman, AZ (US)

ProsFlexible work schedule, product discounts

ConsDifficult to advance, company values, poor understanding of customer service standards, communication breakdowns

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your stores. Far too often I've worked/been a customer of Hasting's that have very low staff at peak hours. This sort of attempt at cutting expenses is very damaging to your customer base. Running a store with 2 people does not communicate a desire to satisfy customer's needs/wants. Also focusing more on employee satisfaction through more management training for mid and upper level managers. A competent, experienced manager far better leads a team because they'll earn the respect needed to execute policy changes and the brand's culture.

An ok company but store morale was low.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLots of work and never boring.

ConsLow pay, low morale, reduction of hours, and very little help in departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive departments more hours. Worry less about labor hours.

Expects way too much

Book Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFun and nice people! Free coffee samples! And getting too check out new books that come in and being around things you love.

ConsVery bad pay and VERY bad hours. Never in my life would I think this place would give such horrible hours. I would work three to six hours a week! Then I would be off for two whole weeks! And at my 90 days was let go because, "We told you that you had right hours of work to do in three hours. You did not." What kind of company believes that can be done? The spot I had is always hiring because people quit because of the insane exceptions. I was told I was a wonderful and person and so nice and good but because I couldn't do three long lists of work in three hours I was gone. This place is a joke when it comes to working and I would never want to work there again. I did enjoy it and would have stayed if they had actually giving me hours to do work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive hours! My goodness GIVE Hours! If you want your store awesome and great then give people more than three hours a week!

Being an Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

ProsPeople genuinely enjoy shopping at Hastings. There are many departments to choose from.

ConsThe technology is outdated. The stores are run down. Everything is dirty and there isn't enough payroll to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to onboard new hires. Training takes time and people need more time to become comfortable before they can actually help customers.

Good way to boost your resume fast but beware of the awful work experience.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCoworkers are friendly. Fun/laid-back environment. Very easy to get promoted within store. The only people I ever see get fired are the ones who steal. You can get away with pretty much anything. Benefits aren't too bad. Very flexible hours.

ConsPay is awful. Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life. Micro-management like crazy. Opinions or ideas don't matter and it's always your fault if something doesn't work. They treat all employees like thieves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.. you could care less about them and it shows. Wage-freeze yet you're flying around the company jet wherever you like?

Check out some business literature and maybe basic text-book errors wouldn't happen.

Fun environment to work in; however unrealistic expectations from "the top"

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN (US)

ProsSurrounded by everything entertaining. Great discount on certain merchandise. Great co-workers. Employee can essentially make their own schedule. Company offers scholarships to students.

ConsFull-time workloads expected out of part-time staff. Corporate managers can very condescending to lower-level employees. The only holiday that the store is closed is on Christmas.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit feedback and ideas from employees who work with company's customer on a day to day basis.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!