Hastings Entertainment

Updated 20 January 2015
Updated 20 January 2015
2.4

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Pay for Management

Former Employee - MIT Manager In Training in Benton, AR (US)
    Former Employee - MIT Manager In Training in Benton, AR (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For me it was commute, very shirt drive from my home.

Cons

Long hours, open on major holidays, poor pay for management, old outdated systems. Upper management needs to follow through with actions and not just talk. Pay your people better and your get better quality employees.

Upper management needs to follow through with actions and not just talk. Pay your people better and your get better quality employees and update the systems. DOS is extremely outdated, take the money that's lining your pockets and invest in people and systems.

cafe manager

Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Manager in College Station, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Manager in College Station, TX (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

it was a easy job, the hours were decent and I was always able to get time off

Cons

Getting approved vacation and training a person before you leave only to find out you trained your replacement and no longer had a job after vacation.

Very laid back for retail environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Waco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Waco, TX (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Discount on certain things
    Offers obtainable scholarships
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Expectations of corporate
    low pay
    have to work on holidays

Loved the job. Fast paced and always exciting.

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

A challenging but rewarding job.

Cons

Can be frustrating and very stressful depending on your coworkers/team.

Make sure you strive to control everyone on your team in order to make sure they all work well together.

This is a wonderful place to shop, but I would not recommend working here.

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time

Pros

There are some nice people that work here.

Cons

"Training" is an utter joke. Be prepared to be left at a register all by yourself.
    Disorganized management.
    Archaic computer system. Not too mention it is so confusing. This is coming from an IT major.
    The pay is embarrassingly low.
    They do DRUG TESTS in order for you to get a job here. That's right, you will need to adhere to a drug test just for minimum wage.
    They force you to sell magazines, and once you are written up for not selling them, they will fire you.
    There is no incentive for moving up within Hastings.

Pay employees better. Stop stocking your stores with useless junk.

Worthless

Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people to hang out with and usually cool store management.

Cons

past the store level the 'management' is terrible. District Managers are worthless, but to be fair it's usually corporate level giving them a bunch of crap. Sales are down? gives us more hours to make them better. no more hours? Then leave us alone! We are selling DVDS, CDS, and BOOKS! OF COURSE BUSINESS IS DOWN. It's a dying business. A little more respect and love to your employees will go a long way.

Try respecting your employees, paying them what they're worth, and don't fire people who have given you nothing but outstanding service for over 20 yeas. It's a real downer on your "lower" level employees.

Good job, terrible career

Current Employee - Front Counter Team Lead
    Current Employee - Front Counter Team Lead

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back as far as retail is concerned. My manager is the best part of the company and why oh turnover rates were so low.

Cons

Being a business major, it has been fascinating to watch. I learn a business practice one day, then see clear example of how Hastings is doing it wrong. Synapse is terrible and enforced way too hard. The company seems to be ran with absolutely no regard to the market it is operating in. Full time positions are nonexistent, and the computer system is older than I am. Updating the computers would be expensive, but well worth the investment. However, upper management seems oblivious to this as well. In the few years I've worked here, I've seen the company cycle through district managers like they were fry cooks at McDonald's and most the store in our district and surrounding districts close. Finally, the CEO is too involved in the day to day operations of the store on the rare occasion that he does visit. All in all, a good job, but by no means would I consider making this place the focus of my career.

I honestly would not know where to begin.

This used to be a great company.

Former Employee - Production (Press) in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Production (Press) in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A paycheck and that is about it.

Cons

Lower pay than before, longer hours. No training and no room for advancement. The managers are all related to the owner so you will never move up beyond a supervisory role regardless how hard you work and how much time that you put in. The relatives are lazy and unwilling to help anyone but themselves.

Take care of your employees. People fail to realize that the strength of a company is its employees and not the family members that are in charge of them.

If you like Amarillo, you'll have a job for life at Hastings

Former Employee - Category Manager in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the interaction with the vendors. Once I figured out what my job was, I was able to take pride in my accomplishments.

Cons

Upper Management is relentless in their desire to get more out of you, by any means necessary. Working early, staying late, and working weekends were common. There was turnover at the highest level last year, and I hear things have improved. Bottom line, if there was any training, and I mean ANY training for those coming in to that office, I might still be there today.

Awesome training plan for those in the field, nothing for those in the SSC. Also, too many daily meetings, leaving you with not enough time to do your job.

okay for a first job

Former Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Hobbs, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Hobbs, NM (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

fun environment, great promotional shirts, midnight releases were lots of fun, great employee discount

Cons

low hours, pay is very low, was full time and they cut my hours even when I was the only employee

keep up a good working environment in order to keep workers happy and wanting to stay at the company

Hastings Entertainment Photos