Hastings Entertainment

Updated 4 October 2014
Updated 4 October 2014
2.5

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 35 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Misguided upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a team environment that worked well as long as everyone was on the same page. Upper management has an open door policy. It was a fun place to work.

Cons

I witnessed a LOT of good sellable product being thrown away. I also witnessed store managers spending a great deal of company money and losing their stores (Hastings lost 14 stores in one year!). Local newspaper articles attribute the store closings to the business climate. That may be true in some cases. I personally knew a couple of the managers whose stores were closed. They closed because of poor customer service and overspending.

Hire store managers who care about customer service and get involved in their communities. This will bring customers back into the stores. Hire store managers that are problem solvers. They will take some of the problems away from upper management to keep their jobs and to keep their stores open. Hire store managers that are frugal. Allowing these frugal managers to buy their own products and supplies will keep store expenses to a minimum.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Loss Prevention/Department Manager in Santa Fe, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention/Department Manager in Santa Fe, NM (US)

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very proactive about promoting from within, rewards for a job well done. One of my favorite retail experiences

Cons

Pay could be better, benefits compensation packets needs to be competitive to the market.

Like the coworkers, not the management

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Met a lot of awesome people doing this job. Good close friends, and even some regular customers became friends.

Cons

Management keeps hours tight and gives a lot of work to do with high expectations. Nothing wrong with the work at all, nothing is hard to do, but when you're given a task that physically takes three hours to do and need it done in an hour, it gets stressful.

Give stores more hours, regardless of the labor cost. Without enough hands, the store will end up terrible, and the business will shrivel. And if Hastings management is actually reading this..you should be able to tell this is a problem with how many stores are closing everywhere. Tell Marmaduke he doesn't need to pinch all the money he can out of it, try making the stores better and stop making the a pawn shop with broken used equipment and poor deals.

Inventory manager

Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Waxahachie, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Waxahachie, TX (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great schedule, work was easy if you trained properly and follow company policy. Liked most of my co-workers. Fun to work there.

Cons

Pay way too low. Don't get enough credit for the work you put in. Get over looked for positions that you know more about than the people hired for. Too much gossip that didn't get taken care of.

Do let good employees just walk away because they can't relocate. I worked for Hastings for 8 years and got looked past for manager several times when I knew more than the store managers.

A great environment to learn and develop your skills

Current Employee - Proammer in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Proammer in Amarillo, TX (US)

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly environment with a great culture for employee development. Laid back atmsophere.

Cons

Small office politics and limited growth opportunities

All Depends on Your Management

Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Gillette, WY (US)
    Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Gillette, WY (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly relaxed atmosphere (when it comes to retail)
    Great Co-workers
    Employee Discount
    I had a great store manager and and MITs that made it a great place to work relationally

Cons

Experience will depend on who you work with
    Pay is not wonderful

Take care of your employees. You would have less turnover, and actually save money if you paid your managers more.

Great to shop at... not to work at.

Former Employee - Store Manager In Training in Lawrence, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager In Training in Lawrence, KS (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Properly laid out training plan for new hires. Wonderful work environment with the right staffing.

Cons

Pay rate is way too low for anyone not in management. MIT position is used more as a lackey than for it's actual position. Training plan mentioned before tends to lose focus from management.

Good for part time, but there are no hours

Current Employee - CSA in Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - CSA in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, mostly fast paced, get to see all the cool movies before anyone else.

Cons

No hours, pay is low, no opportunities for advancement, job/hours depends on magazine subscriptions per customer.

Stop focusing on magazines. No one wants them because they're free to read online. Focus on how hard the employees are working to provide customer service, and a nice, clean environment for families.

An easy job if your in school however hours are very limited and the job is repetitive.

Current Employee - CSA in Spokane, WA (US)
    Current Employee - CSA in Spokane, WA (US)

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, the job is easy most work includes stocking product, helping customers find what they need and working cash register.

Cons

The pay is not enough to live off of. If not in school I wouldn't recommend this job for someone who is trying to pay rent. Management has been known to hire brain dead associates so you may have to often pick up the slack.

Focus on customers interest more.

this has been a learning experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work here?
    meeting people - customers & employees
    expanding my knowledge of a variety of merchandise
    the discount on used merchandise is great

Cons

Challenges at Hastings?
    getting a straight answer
    getting a consistent answer from any corporate level department &/or upper management
    little to no communication between corporate departments &/or upper management

I won't repeat the "low pay" that I have seen on almost every other review. It is getting redundant.

The majority of the reviews I have read bash the entire organization for low pay. I would be satisfied with the pay if I had some type of "Work/Life Balance". As it stands I barely see my spouse, much less any other family.

The biggest piece of advice I would give to management?
    Start to listen to your people, & actually hear what they (we) say.

Hastings Entertainment Photos