Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros:
  • "Flexible approach to work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Deceitful/underhanded mid and senior management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Long hours, presenteeism culture , can be a "face fits" atmosphere"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Honesty

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMeritocracy, financial reward, influence careers, first class training, culture, fun, outstanding people, flexibility when needed, global opportunities, loyalty, no shortage of social opportunities and exposure to blue chip clients.

ConsThere can be long hours - this is/was never hidden from me, take it or leave it - the Aus/NZ MD always spoke openly about this. It is why we make money, but not for everyone.
hard work is rewarded, like other 'firms' this is/always will be the case.
Conservative strategies / management at times - embrace some flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening.

good training for a graduate.

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Prosgood balance of structured training and on the job training.
Well established business
enjoyable staff culture

Conslong working hours
Some parts of the business had a high turnover of staff due to pressure to meet KPI's

Fun but stingy and secretive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hays plc

Prosworking with fun dynamic people

Consbad pay and bad biscuits and lack or respect for support staff

Working here can be likened to a recruitment battery farm.......

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hays plc

ProsGlobal company that offers the opportunity to work in different locations across the globe. Clear career progression / promotion structure. Clear and regular performance review system in place. Despite everything they manage to employ some great people who are really up for making it work.

ConsLong work hours. Immature work force and management style. Outdated 'gun ho' senior management style - don't seem to move with the time or appreciate the needs of employees. I worked for them for 8 years and they are still using the same tried and tested formula that isn't consultative and is all about making money. The constant focus on dollars undoes genuine innovation as there's no room to do anything different. Micro management is rife and people get to senior management roles from hanging around the longest. They lock their poorly educated old school senior sales managers in so that they commit to Sydney mortgages and kids in private schools and can't afford to change jobs - so they just hand around like dead wood because they know they don't have the skills to be able to go and do anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the stale message that you send to the consultants - the constant KPI focus drives a numbers game and stifles innovation. Future business will be built on relationships and consultation, not short termism. Get rid of the dead wood in the senior management levels, there are some great people and skills that you could harness if you looked in the right places. Don't be scared of change and move with the times. Lose the 80's 'We are the Champions' sales message - your employees aren't stupid.

Having this company on your resume can damage your future career.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Melbourne

I worked at Hays plc

ProsIf you are willing to work all the hours that God sends then you have potential to earn good money at Hays. In commission payments, not as a salary. That is the only reason that you should consider Hays as an employer.

ConsAppalling work life balance. You will work 55 hours a week here. Fact. You will not be able to afford not to.
Very poor management. Managers are promoted on their sales ability, not their management ability.
Non-existent benefits package.
Generally uninspiring and not particularly intelligent colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up to the fact that your reputation in the market is very poor. You are recognised as providing one of the lowest levels of service in the industry. One of the reasons for this is that you employ people who will only ever reach the mid point of the industry at best. You dont offer enough to attract the real talent.

Working for this large company may not be as glamorous as it seems.......

I worked at Hays plc

ProsHays plc is a large company so opportunities to move within the company say, interstate/overseas are limitless. Also the brand recognition in the market place is a benefit. Most people know who Hays are so it makes it easier to do business and business development. Also due to the size of the company there are always new opportunities arising and these can be easliy capitalised on by performing employee's. It is aslo a good feeling to have a large company backing you so you know have some job security and they will aslo back you with any disputes that may arise with clients/candidates etc.

ConsHays are not known for paying very well, in fact it is a sink or swim environment with very little or ongoing training particularly on the job training to help you suceed. The business model is to bring in people fresh to recruitment, throw them in the deep end and see what happens. Another major problem is their branch managers are expected to bill which in itself is a full time job. It is very difficult to do the two jobs at once which means one of them has to suffer. If a manager wants to make money they need to bill which in turn means failure for the new and inexperienced recruits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest taking some of the billing pressure of managers and allow them to concentrate on building a successful office full of high billing successful consultants. The difference it would have made having a manager spending an 2-3 hours a week with employees at their desk would have been phenomanal.

Fast paced and exhilarating

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

ProsFor the workaholics it is perfection, the ideal job. The job satisfaction is great when you've placed a candidate in their dream job.

ConsLong hours, hard work and sometimes frustrating. You will know in the first year if this job is for you. High turn over of staff.

Good Recruiter=Good Manager?!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

ProsGreat training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry.

ConsThose managing are appointed on the basis of being good recruiters, rather than good managers. Salaries are not the greatest at Hays, and the commission structure is poor- "Advise your clients they need to be competitive in this market"!!!

£16.5k basic for Associates
£22k basic for Recruitment Consultants
£24k basic for Senior Consultants

More leavers in 13/14 than any previous years. There will always be a higher turnover of staff in the recruitment industry, but Hays are losing quality staff and need to work on retaining them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be a good manager you need to be adaptable as each employee will have a different learning style.

Great place to start your sales career

Business Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training, International opportunities, good commission scheme

ConsAverage benefits, transactional culture at times

Great People, Average Prospects

Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you do well and your face fits and the right people like you, they will make a job for you if you don't make it as a recruiter, they are actually quite patient and understanding in that sense. Also quite understanding in times when you need them to be, after a family bereavement they helped me out with counselling etc. Decent bunch of people as well.

ConsSalaries are pretty average, commission is only good if you are a huge biller, 20K+ per month also regardless of their corporate nonsense that they feed you the market you recruit in is hugely determinant of your success, some of the biggest billers had one client of which they did not obtain themselves.... easy life for some... stupid number of KPI's... really stupid and largely pointless. they have a bad name in many markets they work in, there is a lot of infighting over accounts they have an immense amount of poor people employed there as well who make clients view them even worse, and they insist on using e-shots to pepper their clients

Advice to Senior Managementtime to change your strategy and get out of the dark ages of recruitment

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hays plc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox. All 61 reviews are posted anonymously by Hays plc employees.