Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Honesty

Director (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsMeritocracy, financial reward, influence careers, first class training, culture, fun, outstanding people, flexibility when needed, global opportunities, loyalty, no shortage of social opportunities and exposure to blue chip clients.

ConsThere can be long hours - this is/was never hidden from me, take it or leave it - the Aus/NZ MD always spoke openly about this. It is why we make money, but not for everyone.
    hard work is rewarded, like other 'firms' this is/always will be the case.
    Conservative strategies / management at times - embrace some flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening.

good training for a graduate.

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosgood balance of structured training and on the job training.
    Well established business
    enjoyable staff culture

Conslong working hours
    Some parts of the business had a high turnover of staff due to pressure to meet KPI's

Fun but stingy and secretive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosworking with fun dynamic people

Consbad pay and bad biscuits and lack or respect for support staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here can be likened to a recruitment battery farm.......

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal company that offers the opportunity to work in different locations across the globe. Clear career progression / promotion structure. Clear and regular performance review system in place. Despite everything they manage to employ some great people who are really up for making it work.

ConsLong work hours. Immature work force and management style. Outdated 'gun ho' senior management style - don't seem to move with the time or appreciate the needs of employees. I worked for them for 8 years and they are still using the same tried and tested formula that isn't consultative and is all about making money. The constant focus on dollars undoes genuine innovation as there's no room to do anything different. Micro management is rife and people get to senior management roles from hanging around the longest. They lock their poorly educated old school senior sales managers in so that they commit to Sydney mortgages and kids in private schools and can't afford to change jobs - so they just hand around like dead wood because they know they don't have the skills to be able to go and do anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the stale message that you send to the consultants - the constant KPI focus drives a numbers game and stifles innovation. Future business will be built on relationships and consultation, not short termism. Get rid of the dead wood in the senior management levels, there are some great people and skills that you could harness if you looked in the right places. Don't be scared of change and move with the times. Lose the 80's 'We are the Champions' sales message - your employees aren't stupid.

Having this company on your resume can damage your future career.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsIf you are willing to work all the hours that God sends then you have potential to earn good money at Hays. In commission payments, not as a salary. That is the only reason that you should consider Hays as an employer.

ConsAppalling work life balance. You will work 55 hours a week here. Fact. You will not be able to afford not to.
    Very poor management. Managers are promoted on their sales ability, not their management ability.
    Non-existent benefits package.
    Generally uninspiring and not particularly intelligent colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up to the fact that your reputation in the market is very poor. You are recognised as providing one of the lowest levels of service in the industry. One of the reasons for this is that you employ people who will only ever reach the mid point of the industry at best. You dont offer enough to attract the real talent.

Working for this large company may not be as glamorous as it seems.......

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsHays plc is a large company so opportunities to move within the company say, interstate/overseas are limitless. Also the brand recognition in the market place is a benefit. Most people know who Hays are so it makes it easier to do business and business development. Also due to the size of the company there are always new opportunities arising and these can be easliy capitalised on by performing employee's. It is aslo a good feeling to have a large company backing you so you know have some job security and they will aslo back you with any disputes that may arise with clients/candidates etc.

ConsHays are not known for paying very well, in fact it is a sink or swim environment with very little or ongoing training particularly on the job training to help you suceed. The business model is to bring in people fresh to recruitment, throw them in the deep end and see what happens. Another major problem is their branch managers are expected to bill which in itself is a full time job. It is very difficult to do the two jobs at once which means one of them has to suffer. If a manager wants to make money they need to bill which in turn means failure for the new and inexperienced recruits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest taking some of the billing pressure of managers and allow them to concentrate on building a successful office full of high billing successful consultants. The difference it would have made having a manager spending an 2-3 hours a week with employees at their desk would have been phenomanal.

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsFirstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

ConsIts recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Senior Business Manager (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsThe training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

ConsAt times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

Meritocracy with exceptional training and clear progression paths

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsThe offices are always busy with a positive vibe. You will never find a Hays conultant sitting on their laurels. There is always a job to be done. It can be stressful/hectic environment, playing middle man to an ever more varied and demanding client/candidate base, but the upbeat and healthy competitive nature within the offices help get you through. Management has seen changes for the better, with far more "nurturing" and guidence given to new consultants. Training is exceptional and always receives great feedback.

ConsThe job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time. This isn't a negative on the company but down to the constrictures of the job which is based on your focus and efforts to acheive commission so quite frequently it might mean working "out of hours"

New to recruitment, glad I'm with Hays

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsI've never worked in recruitment before so to have such an in depth training program and constant contact with a manager is a plus. Also being rewarded on success which brings out my competitive natue, which is then reflected in my progress and recognised by the whole office.

ConsSometimes things are not explained clearly enough or you will be told conflicting things by different people within the company. At the end of the day you have to go with whoevers opinion you think is best and be able to explain why.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer with expectations and consequences. Explain benefits better, rather than a hazy picture that we then realise we can't reach.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!