Hays plc Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 21 reviews)

• The commission structure is awful and so is the work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, people and rewards - but a challenging and demaning job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent personal development and training opportunities. You are able to set your own goals and manage your own work load. Although targets are high, the rewards are good. Regular incentives are set, as well as having the opportunity to earn uncapped commission. Great people and team atmosphere and a fun environment to work in. Good opportunity to progress with the organisation and after longer term employment, there is an opportunity to relocate worldwide.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job. Targets are set high and everyone is expected to exceed those targets soon after joining the organisation. Hays focus heavily on KPI's and fee targets - which are reviewed regularly. It is a difficult industry to make a name for yourself, so you need perseverance and consistency to earn the top level of commission and promotion. If you are looking for an easy 9 - 5 job this isn't the right position for you.

Further support could be given to help new employees develop their skills - more on the job coaching by managers for new team members and regular refreshers courses for experienced hires would be good. Less focus on KPI's for experienced hires and more motivation and encouragement.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team atmosphere and friendly competition makes it a really fulfilling place to work. Excellent opportunities for socialising in and out of work, and great earning potential. There is loads of experience in the office to draw on so you never feel like you don't know what to do. As you are with the company for longer you have lots of autonomy to manage your business in the most effective way. Excellent specific training for staff at all levels.

Cons

It can be a challenge managing time effectively and making sure that work is done pro-actively rather than reactively. There can be a danger that people get too caught up in what they are doing and loose sight of the fact that nothing is life or death.

Would be good to offer some more flexible working opportunities and the ability to work remotely for more junior members of staff. Clear communication is vital.

Excellent career opportunities and superb training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I joined Hays because of the training and career opportunities that they could offer me and I definitely haven't been disappointed. I regularly receive training, feedback and reviews and this has meant that I have been able to progress through the company in different roles and geographical locations. I am able to run my desk as if it were my own business but with the help and support of the PLC structure and I am rewarded well.

Cons

We expect the best from our new associates so it can be hard for them entering the business initially due to the amount of information there is to learn, however, the training and coaching is designed to support them and see them through some of the more stressful days.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organisation with fantastic career prospects

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant  in  Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great career progression, benefits and commission structure
    Brilliant culture with clear career progression paths
    Exceptional training
    A great place to work.
    Hays is meritocratic that awards based on performance.
    Work hard play hard culture

Cons

The hardwork is worthwhile - through the commission structure, benefits and career opportunities.

Continue to provide support and training by managers which has helped me be successful.

Fantastic career progression and uncapped commission

Current Employee - Manager  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The earning potential, commissions are uncapped so the more successful the more you earn
    The people, have made some great friends here, really friendly, positive, competitive but in a good way
    The training is brilliant, really practical and hands on

Cons

It is really, really hard work and can be long hours especially in the first few months, you have to put your all in
    But its worth it as you get rewarded for the hard work by commission and promotions, so you need to think long term

Continue developing and focusing on the training, as this is what has really helped me to be successful, and more incentives, we have lots already but perhaps a few more office/team specific ones

Assiociate Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture
    - Fast paced and challenging environement= exciting
    - Support and Training network around you
    - Like running your own business- you make what you desire through hard work

Cons

- Nothing- FAB place to work!

- Good benefits to choose from.
    - Good comission structure.
    - Work-life balance hasn't been disrupted for me.... you are what you make of it. If you want to earn more you may come in early or stay late every now and again but it will eventually pay off so it is worth it but you are certainly not expected to stay late and not at all encouraged to work outside of work.

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Atmosphere, work hard, play-hard ethos, community feel where everyone will help, good incentives, relaxed approach to work but with a focus on hitting targets. Supportive environment with honest feedback from management.

Cons

Depending on the type of work/desk you inherit, the work can be quite cold and it takes a long time to begin making money.

N/A

Fantastic experience in progressive career.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Support from higher management is superb and I feel very valued as an employee. All promises made to me at the beginning of my career have been fulfilled and I have found it to be an incredibly honest company. The training is fantastic and gives you the key skills to really progress through the company. Culture is very sociable with a work hard/play hard attitude. Lots of incentives and opportunities to get promoted.

Cons

It is a hard role with very long hours. Lots of small disappointments due to the nature of the industry and the unreliable nature of people in general. The industry attracts a few office gossipy types but no more so than any other large office environment.

More training for mid level staff looking to progress would be good, but communication is already at a very high level. Flexibility with regards to promotions would be good so as not to hold certain staff back when they are in a position to manage early in their career.

Great opportunities for entrepreneurial minded people who are comfortable in a people driven environment.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The progression opportunities are amazing and you have a good chance to make a name for yourself.

Cons

I don't have any as of yet.

NA

A successful organisation with great values

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clear, realistic promotional opportunities are outlined from day one. Success is rewarded and widely recognised and the company values can be evidenced internally as well as externally.

Team working is encouraged just as much as the development of independent expertise. The prescence of the organisation in the market across so many different specialisms, combined with excellent training and the fact that Hays is Passionate about People (clients, candidates and consultants alike) make it possible for people to succeed not only financially, but also in terms of job satisfaction.

In a nutshell, a great place to work.

Cons

The role of recruitment consultant is a challenging one. This isn't really a con, just the nature of the beast. There are many ups and downs. However, Hays offers plenty of training and support, ensuring more ups and less downs the more your expertise develops.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!