Hays plc

www.hays.com
Employer Engaged

Nice opportunity, but high pressure

Former Intern - Researcher in Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Intern - Researcher in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at Hays plc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great career advancement opportunities both within the company and outside
    Clear targets
    Incentives provided to reach certain targets
    Good, quality work is acknowledged

Cons

High pressure from the management
    You are valued only until you bring stable outstanding results
    Sometimes more focus on revenue than quality of candidates and long term relationship with clients

Good company to work for... but need to be able to fit in with culture

Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hays plc

Pros

decent base for new training consultants, good training program, large corporate events, financial resources, great brand in singapore and easy to make money, monthly commission with low threshold. generally nice people and good culture if you are a social person. good reward incentives

Cons

office is a little cramped, are expanding aggressive forcing consultants into highly specialised verticals making it harder to make money. generally a very hierarchical structure and top down. a bit of a heavy drinking click which is ok, but you need to get involved if you want to progress in the company, socially and professionally.

commision structure is quite weak compared to toher companies

will not hesitate to let you go if it suits them

people are promoted on performance but not necessarily on aptitude for management.

IT Consultant

Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Hays plc as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

As a consultant, it is earlier to change industry. Hays provided me such an opportunity.

Cons

It took several years to change to the normal career path. As IT consultant, even you can prove to you employer your value, it is likely difficult to be recognized.

Work life, culture, & Management

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good.

Cons

If you work smart like me then you can achieve what you need to for your role and more within a working day. It was frowned upon to leave on-time? Awkward to ask for flexibility.

There was also an acceptance for certain manager to be rude. Just because they seem to be doing a good job.

Understand that you get more from empowering your workforce not suppressing them, with the fallacy that working late means you are working better and harder.

Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays plc

Pros

Great place to work if you are eager and driven.

Cons

as the roles involve both sales and recruitment it is important to be able to deal with high demands in both sides.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is a meritocracy

Cons

You can work long hours

expected better

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Hays plc as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Had a placement in an investment bank by Hays. At first stage the experience was perfect - the agent I worked with provided the job specs asap, arranged the interviews, etc. However I wish other sides of the process were more organised.

Cons

Pre-employment screening process was horrible. I had to upload a lot of documents into the slowest application in the world which kept crushing. The screening officer kept losing the filled forms and asked me e-mail them again and again.

Submitting electronic time-sheets (technical issues) and communication with payroll department - total nightmare, would avoid working for them again just for that reason. As a result, wrong tax code used, holiday pay delayed for weeks, late payments, etc.

When my assignment was coming to the end none of the agents approached with another contract opportunities.

You have to make sure you use all your holidays by the end of the year, otherwise you won't be paid.

Better staffing, communication within and between departments and effective screening system.

Good people poor management

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hays train their staff well and for a young recruiter starting out in their career are certainly a good option. The company's size and reach ensures that they always have business on the go and that business development, while important, is not as pressing as with smaller companies.

Cons

The company, despite efforts, is still primarily a volume recruiter, focusing on lower end business. They do well in the bottom reaches of the market, competing with the likes of Michael Page and Robert Walters. Like those companies however they find it very hard to break into the more senior, and lucrative, parts of the market. This is reflected in the staff and there are very few Hays recruiters who really understand their business and can offer anything to a client except for CVs.

The company has very high overheads, with a large support and administration staff and, as a result, both base salaries and commissions are very low. To ensure that costs are met the company is very KPI driven and does not encourage personal flair or creativity.

Excellent company with endless opportunities!

Current Intern - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to gain alot of exposure to various facets of the business. Managment and my team are extremley supportive and involve me in various projects. Fantastic culture promoting best practice.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job which requires long hours at times, however the rewards that follow and knowledge gained makes it worth it.

Recruitment Consultant at Hays

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, decent pay. Fantastic social culture!! I had lots of good times at Hays...Used inter-brand to globally re-brand which really freshened up their employer brand and corporate image.

Cons

Can micro-manage and take a one size fits all approach to business development/ KPI's. Long working hours and never managed to offer work-life balance like some other recruitment firms.

Tailor business development and KPI's specific to divisions. Working smarter is often more effective than working harder.