Hays plc Reviews

Updated 16 September 2014
3.9

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic career progression and uncapped commission

Current Employee - Manager  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The earning potential, commissions are uncapped so the more successful the more you earn
    The people, have made some great friends here, really friendly, positive, competitive but in a good way
    The training is brilliant, really practical and hands on

Cons

It is really, really hard work and can be long hours especially in the first few months, you have to put your all in
    But its worth it as you get rewarded for the hard work by commission and promotions, so you need to think long term

Continue developing and focusing on the training, as this is what has really helped me to be successful, and more incentives, we have lots already but perhaps a few more office/team specific ones

Assiociate Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture
    - Fast paced and challenging environement= exciting
    - Support and Training network around you
    - Like running your own business- you make what you desire through hard work

Cons

- Nothing- FAB place to work!

- Good benefits to choose from.
    - Good comission structure.
    - Work-life balance hasn't been disrupted for me.... you are what you make of it. If you want to earn more you may come in early or stay late every now and again but it will eventually pay off so it is worth it but you are certainly not expected to stay late and not at all encouraged to work outside of work.

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Atmosphere, work hard, play-hard ethos, community feel where everyone will help, good incentives, relaxed approach to work but with a focus on hitting targets. Supportive environment with honest feedback from management.

Cons

Depending on the type of work/desk you inherit, the work can be quite cold and it takes a long time to begin making money.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - /Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hays put a lot of focus into their training. I feel like a lot of time and effort is being invested in me and my future to help me in my job here at Hays as well as my future career. The company values and rewards hard work which shows in the work hard, play hard culture at Hays.

Cons

The nature of the job means that you have to be very resilient. Working with people results in unexpected events occurring which can make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time on a specific candidate or client and nothing comes of it.

Management could help with further integration i.e. within specialisms, working closer with colleagues to understand their work, this could be achieved though brief weekly meetings. Prizes for hitting KPIs will increase work and ensure One Touch is kept updated.

Fantastic experience in progressive career.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Support from higher management is superb and I feel very valued as an employee. All promises made to me at the beginning of my career have been fulfilled and I have found it to be an incredibly honest company. The training is fantastic and gives you the key skills to really progress through the company. Culture is very sociable with a work hard/play hard attitude. Lots of incentives and opportunities to get promoted.

Cons

It is a hard role with very long hours. Lots of small disappointments due to the nature of the industry and the unreliable nature of people in general. The industry attracts a few office gossipy types but no more so than any other large office environment.

More training for mid level staff looking to progress would be good, but communication is already at a very high level. Flexibility with regards to promotions would be good so as not to hold certain staff back when they are in a position to manage early in their career.

Great opportunities for entrepreneurial minded people who are comfortable in a people driven environment.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The progression opportunities are amazing and you have a good chance to make a name for yourself.

Cons

I don't have any as of yet.

NA

Outstanding

Current Employee - Director  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Career progression, Benefits, Commission to those who are prepared to work hard to understand their market.

Cons

Challenges are around ensuring consultants have the right work ethnic and are aware of that to become an expert in their market takes dedication and inquisitive nature.

A successful organisation with great values

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clear, realistic promotional opportunities are outlined from day one. Success is rewarded and widely recognised and the company values can be evidenced internally as well as externally.

Team working is encouraged just as much as the development of independent expertise. The prescence of the organisation in the market across so many different specialisms, combined with excellent training and the fact that Hays is Passionate about People (clients, candidates and consultants alike) make it possible for people to succeed not only financially, but also in terms of job satisfaction.

In a nutshell, a great place to work.

Cons

The role of recruitment consultant is a challenging one. This isn't really a con, just the nature of the beast. There are many ups and downs. However, Hays offers plenty of training and support, ensuring more ups and less downs the more your expertise develops.

Great place to work with a really good company culture, in an environment where people want to succeed.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your hard work is recognised and you are praised for when the results come in. There is excellent career progression with a structure that enables you to work your way up through the ranks. Always support around you for when you need it and lots of experience colleagues for you to get advice from. The social aspect is great and incentives really motivate you to smash your targets.

Cons

As it is a young, sociable work force, pub culture can sometimes cross over into the office making it unprofessional at times and a little bit uni like. Also the unflexibility with the working hours is very frustrating. I understand why they are so strict and rigid but for Consultants who work over and above their expected hours anyway, to come in a little later or leave a little earlier to make up for it would make a great deal of difference.

Lose the micro-management in regards to possibles and interviews. You set yourself up for the day but you end up repeating yourself dozens of times to several different managers and directors across the floor. The amount of repeatition is counter productive and not a good use of your time.

There is an entrepreneurial feel with no limits to your career opportunities, fun, open and excellent training.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open communication with all senior leadership, meritocracy meaning you can monitor your own career steps. Clear and well organised training schedules when you first join which really coincides with what you do in the office. Lots of support but also the ability to run our own mini business and be responsible for your your successes and loses. Respect from all managers and colleagues. Excellent benefits which you can choose from to suit you.

Cons

Long hours, leaving on time is almost frowned upon. Low salaries in comparison to other companies and low commission structures unless you have been with the company for years.

Better communication from senior managers/directors. One particular example is as recruitment has a high staff turnover we had a bout of over 10 people leaving in one month. There was no communication from directors as to what was going on, only Chinese whispers. Some Directors tend to sit in an office all day and don't interact with colleagues in the office.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!