Hays plc Reviews

Updated 11 October 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 21 reviews)

• The commission structure is awful and so is the work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, people and rewards - but a challenging and demaning job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent personal development and training opportunities. You are able to set your own goals and manage your own work load. Although targets are high, the rewards are good. Regular incentives are set, as well as having the opportunity to earn uncapped commission. Great people and team atmosphere and a fun environment to work in. Good opportunity to progress with the organisation and after longer term employment, there is an opportunity to relocate worldwide.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job. Targets are set high and everyone is expected to exceed those targets soon after joining the organisation. Hays focus heavily on KPI's and fee targets - which are reviewed regularly. It is a difficult industry to make a name for yourself, so you need perseverance and consistency to earn the top level of commission and promotion. If you are looking for an easy 9 - 5 job this isn't the right position for you.

Further support could be given to help new employees develop their skills - more on the job coaching by managers for new team members and regular refreshers courses for experienced hires would be good. Less focus on KPI's for experienced hires and more motivation and encouragement.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team atmosphere and friendly competition makes it a really fulfilling place to work. Excellent opportunities for socialising in and out of work, and great earning potential. There is loads of experience in the office to draw on so you never feel like you don't know what to do. As you are with the company for longer you have lots of autonomy to manage your business in the most effective way. Excellent specific training for staff at all levels.

Cons

It can be a challenge managing time effectively and making sure that work is done pro-actively rather than reactively. There can be a danger that people get too caught up in what they are doing and loose sight of the fact that nothing is life or death.

Would be good to offer some more flexible working opportunities and the ability to work remotely for more junior members of staff. Clear communication is vital.

Working at Hays Recruitment

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Inspirational Leaders
    - The week fly bys
    - Obtainable promotion criteria
    - Scope to earn brilliant cash based on how hard you work personally
    - Hilarious colleagues

Cons

- Not really a con but advice that new starers understand the job is tough but worth it after the steep learning curve.

Excellent career opportunities and superb training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Hays because of the training and career opportunities that they could offer me and I definitely haven't been disappointed. I regularly receive training, feedback and reviews and this has meant that I have been able to progress through the company in different roles and geographical locations. I am able to run my desk as if it were my own business but with the help and support of the PLC structure and I am rewarded well.

Cons

We expect the best from our new associates so it can be hard for them entering the business initially due to the amount of information there is to learn, however, the training and coaching is designed to support them and see them through some of the more stressful days.

Great organisation with fantastic career prospects

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great career progression, benefits and commission structure
    Brilliant culture with clear career progression paths
    Exceptional training
    A great place to work.
    Hays is meritocratic that awards based on performance.
    Work hard play hard culture

Cons

The hardwork is worthwhile - through the commission structure, benefits and career opportunities.

Continue to provide support and training by managers which has helped me be successful.

Fantastic career progression and uncapped commission

Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The earning potential, commissions are uncapped so the more successful the more you earn
    The people, have made some great friends here, really friendly, positive, competitive but in a good way
    The training is brilliant, really practical and hands on

Cons

It is really, really hard work and can be long hours especially in the first few months, you have to put your all in
    But its worth it as you get rewarded for the hard work by commission and promotions, so you need to think long term

Continue developing and focusing on the training, as this is what has really helped me to be successful, and more incentives, we have lots already but perhaps a few more office/team specific ones

Assiociate Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Culture
    - Fast paced and challenging environement= exciting
    - Support and Training network around you
    - Like running your own business- you make what you desire through hard work

Cons

- Nothing- FAB place to work!

- Good benefits to choose from.
    - Good comission structure.
    - Work-life balance hasn't been disrupted for me.... you are what you make of it. If you want to earn more you may come in early or stay late every now and again but it will eventually pay off so it is worth it but you are certainly not expected to stay late and not at all encouraged to work outside of work.

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Atmosphere, work hard, play-hard ethos, community feel where everyone will help, good incentives, relaxed approach to work but with a focus on hitting targets. Supportive environment with honest feedback from management.

Cons

Depending on the type of work/desk you inherit, the work can be quite cold and it takes a long time to begin making money.

N/A

A successful organisation with great values

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clear, realistic promotional opportunities are outlined from day one. Success is rewarded and widely recognised and the company values can be evidenced internally as well as externally.

Team working is encouraged just as much as the development of independent expertise. The prescence of the organisation in the market across so many different specialisms, combined with excellent training and the fact that Hays is Passionate about People (clients, candidates and consultants alike) make it possible for people to succeed not only financially, but also in terms of job satisfaction.

In a nutshell, a great place to work.

Cons

The role of recruitment consultant is a challenging one. This isn't really a con, just the nature of the beast. There are many ups and downs. However, Hays offers plenty of training and support, ensuring more ups and less downs the more your expertise develops.

Great place to work with a really good company culture, in an environment where people want to succeed.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your hard work is recognised and you are praised for when the results come in. There is excellent career progression with a structure that enables you to work your way up through the ranks. Always support around you for when you need it and lots of experience colleagues for you to get advice from. The social aspect is great and incentives really motivate you to smash your targets.

Cons

As it is a young, sociable work force, pub culture can sometimes cross over into the office making it unprofessional at times and a little bit uni like. Also the unflexibility with the working hours is very frustrating. I understand why they are so strict and rigid but for Consultants who work over and above their expected hours anyway, to come in a little later or leave a little earlier to make up for it would make a great deal of difference.

Lose the micro-management in regards to possibles and interviews. You set yourself up for the day but you end up repeating yourself dozens of times to several different managers and directors across the floor. The amount of repeatition is counter productive and not a good use of your time.