Health Fitness

Updated 27 February 2015
3.1

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • The full time positions offer salary and good benefits as well as paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No bonuses, very low pay, and not alot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy employee!

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training, responsive management team, responsive support from several departments, pretty flexible work schedule

Cons

There is a super quick learning curve, but I don't know that that's exactly a con, just a challenge to overcome. Also, I think it's not really a con either, but perhaps gym membership subsidy? I mean we are a Health and Fitness company, so we compensated with assistance and encouragement to do that. It's a pretty standard benefit these days.

Keep up the good work! Continue with the great communication long after the employee is hired and encourage professional growth.

FT Remote Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Flexibility. In my position as a remote full-time employee delivering services in the KC area, I have maintained a phenomenal work/life balance. You never can be sure of the weather, or predict when you might get sick, so being able to work from home was a huge plus. This would be one of the top reasons I took the position in the first place.
    2) Management. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but my department had a relatively quick management turnover but steadied itself with probably the best supervisor I've had to date. Again, this is just our department, but this manager was able to communicate extremely effectively with our team remotely and actually implemented much of our input.
    3) Position. The role I currently serve may not have all the advancement opportunities one could hope for (see "Cons" section) but has been very beneficial in various aspects of professional growth, such as public speaking and engagement.
    4) Compensation. This is a 'tweener, because while though salary might not be on the high end of the spectrum, nor potential raises, the compensation is still nothing to shake a stick at when one considers the flexibility as well as cell phone and mileage reimbursement, once and twice per month, respectively.

Cons

1) Advancement. My manager has been great at following through and inquiring about our professional goals and what steps we may take to learn more about HealthFitness as a company and the opportunities therein. The only problem is that they're headquartered out of Minneapolis, and more than likely a meaningful move up would involve relocation.
    2) Compensation. As noted above, this is a 'tweener because everyone would love to make more money and as I as told in my initial interview, most remote employees work two jobs. That honesty was appreciated.
    3) Electronic Systems/Platforms. Whether it's unveiling a new iPad tool for screenings or updating their work order environments, sometimes it feels like the company is quick to want to jump on the "new" thing or rush to a platform that may save them money in the long run but the short run is a stumble, trip, and fall.
    4) Work is here 'n there. I'm only saying this for those who may be interested in joining as an independent contractor for screenings. Remember, the role is "independent contractor" so you are not guaranteed events on a regular basis or at all. I've worked events for numerous companies since 2004 and this is supplemental income, not a full-time job.

With PGs to worry about and many eggs in a few very important baskets, my only concern is rushing a system and implementing it before it's ready to be unveiled. Don't get me wrong, even apps go through version updates and tweaks are always going to have to be made, but sometimes paying a little more for certain systems can pay off even better in the long run by retaining clientele with the fewest amount of headaches possible.

Eh.

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. Treadmill workstations. Some really great people.

Cons

No bonus potential, no room for advancement. HR managers are uncaring, Pto is horrible, 401(k) match is not competitive, health benefits horrendously expensive and getting worse every year.

Benefits need to be upgraded and cost less. HR managers need sensitivity training.

Incredible People, Amazing Potential

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people, their passion, leadership, and the ability to make a difference are the highlights of the company. It's not a company that's plagued by politics; rather, it's an organization of hard working, caring, bright, dedicated people.

Cons

The biggest challenge is workload. The organization runs lean, so it takes discipline, time management skills and the ability to prioritize to stay focused.

Keep doing what you're doing. You're on the right path, in my humble opinion, and I am excited about the future of HealthFitness. Leadership is comprised of some of the most genuine and talented people I have had the privilege to work for.

A good place to work, a lot of young health professionals work here. Everyone is so friendly.

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Good stepping stone into the health field. Most of the people working here are recent graduates, so it's easy to meet a lot of people. It's nice that you actually use your education to inform people about lifestyle choices, it's a fulfilling job.

Cons

The hours aren't the best, usually working from 12-9. A lot of the staff is overqualified for the position, and the pay doesn't compensate for it.

Innovative and Strategic Company, Passionate Employees

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

I have been here a year and half and the whole time my manager gave me opportunities to be involved in more than just my core job function which helped me to receive a recent promotion. I do not work in a health related field but I love wellness and fitness. For those who feel a similar way, working at the corporate headquarters is a great environment because we participate in all kinds of wellness activities (company sponsored 5k, nutrition challenges, parties, healthy Friday breakfast, etc.) that you wouldn't find in many work environments. This is a company full of educated, friendly and motivated people and the atmosphere at the corporate office is generally positive.

We are kept well informed of the company's direction, strategy and performance. Our CEO and senior leaders speak to us directly on a regular basis to keep us up to date of where we are and where we are going as a company and as a department.

Cons

401k is not competitive, the health benefits are pretty good (we get incentives for participating in wellness challenges) but it would be nice to receive a discount on gym memberships as well, PTO and paid holidays are just average

Stay innovative and flexible, recognize the great people who work here and offer opportunities for challenge and growth, continue to communicate well from the top down

Life of a health advisor

Current Employee - Health Advisor in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Health Advisor in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Passionate co-workers. Great Vision. Flexible vacation requests.

Cons

Odd working hours. Lack of growth. Small compensation for the amount of work done.

Misery loves company. Joint this company if you are looking to be unhappy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice "front" for a first impression especially if you see the parent company Trustmark offices, they have fancy offices.

Cons

That money doesn't trickle down to the employees, low raises, lack of advancement potential. They will work you to death with no appreciation. Management behaves like gods. Management will undermine your contributions.

Go to some management training sessions to learn how to behave like managers.

At first I thought this company was good. Then it came to light all of thr fraudulent activity that takes place.

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will meet a bunch of fellow like minded health professionals that are in this field for the right reasons.

Cons

The corrupt managment team. Look up how many medical doctors are actually involved in this operation, setting up the programs, creating what is supposed to be the gold standard for health and you will come up with a big fat zero as your number. The entire concept is fraudulent. A way to have clients that have Trustmark insurance (parent company) sign up for yet another service to get Trustmark more revenue. Additionally, their state of the art IT softwade and programs have so many reported flaws that are simply brushed under the rug and not corrected and then advertised to the next customer as state of the art. Management is not available most of the time, they leave early, take long breaks, full vacation. When they return they expect things served to them on a silver platter. They will delete your name off documents and the put their name on top and present or send the work out as their own. If you say something about to them, they claim they had to make some changes because they found errors. They use the HR team to bury the hatchet on all of the fraud, sexual harrassement (reported), hiring of relatives and friends, misappropriation of assets and resources. HR has employees that have 2 year college educations and do not know how to handle situations appropriately.

Trustmark should replace the whole team of them especially HR.

Health Fitness Response

Feb 04, 2015SVP & Chief Human Resources Officer

Your comments include several unsubstantiated allegations, and this is the first we are hearing of them. HealthFitness and Trustmark, HealthFitness’ parent company, take violations of our ethical ... More