Heartland Payment Systems

290 reviews filtered by
3.1
Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person (in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management (in 21 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Strong culture that offers the opportunity for employees to create an incredible life style!

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

Heartland is an honest and ethical company that operates in an industry where others often bend the rules. heartland offers world-class service and products. Fast pace environment where entrepreneurs thrive because of the autonomy and income potenial. On the flip side, people lacking work ethic or discipline weed themselves out pretty fast. Company is growing, which opens up so many opportunities for promotions and new roles. Ton's of recognition and incentive programs to reward results. The company truly rewards the individuals who bring value to the organization and deliver results.

Cons

Some of the systems and reporting avenues can improve. For example, some of the reporting is done through email, which will evolve over time. The CRM is also an opportunity to build in a robust prospect pipeline with a disposition function. Work life balance can be a challenge at times, but then again it falls more on the employee to turn off the cell phone when deciding not to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in hiring top talent, training and development of the talent, and rewarding the ones who consistently deliver the results. The sales leadership training will provide huge returns. Continue to lead with the innovative technology.

2. Division Manager

Former Employee - Division Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Division Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

Best payment plan in the industry. Company operates with integrity and dignity and treats employees with respect.

Cons

None...best company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Continue to excel!

3. QA Analyst

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of talented people. All work well together and share information. Face paced work environment and managers are willing to help. Pay is average for the market. Benefits are good.

Cons

Doing a lot of reorganization. Trying to consolidate departments after buying smaller companies and this is several times a year. Wants to be cutting-edge but making many mistakes while doing so.

Advice to Management

Need to have more training when new products are rolled out. So many new functions are added to existing products and not enough time spent on how to test them.

5. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super smart people, great culture, lots of opportunities to grow/develop, solid leadership that really cares about employees. Beautiful, brand new office space in Plano, TX with great, on-site amenities.

Cons

With such heavy growth by acquisition, there are many legacy systems and processes that have to be supported.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with the Employee Surveys - it means a lot that you care enough to ask, and even more that you actually read them and have already made changes.

6. Em

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great facilities, friendly work environment, it is a growing business, there appears to be opportunities for career growth but must be in the right position

Cons

While there has been great growth management has been slow to centralize and consolidate making redundant tasks with very little integration

Advice to Management

Management needs to slow down on the M&A aspects and focus on getting current operations running effectively before trying to tackle new major projects

Inside Relationship Manager

Former Employee - Inside Relationship Manager in Edmond, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Relationship Manager in Edmond, OK (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

It is a very good company. Reason for leaving is that the Inside position is a new concept for this company. Still a secret to the outside sales team.

Cons

Not a good experience because of their training

Advice to Management

Have a plan already in place for position.

This was a very frustrating experience.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Glen Cove, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Glen Cove, NY (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You essentially work for yourself, so you can go where you need to, when you want to. It's flexible and you continue to make an override on your accounts.

Cons

This market is exceedingly saturated so it's very difficult to get new accounts.

Living on just commision

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Alexandria, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Alexandria, LA (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

with Heartland you have a chance to retire with a residual income

Cons

with Heartland to reach out to management and assistance it's by phone call or email to someone usually out of state...not local

Advice to Management

Try to have management and home office give the same advice /information in training....also management should stick with a REP until they show consecutive closes in sales in front of him

Lifetime residuals are a lie.

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When we started the company was focused on being the honest Guys in the Industry. We had the ability to price the Merchants Fairly while making a fair living. We cared for the Employees and the Customers. We were told we were working toward Portfolio Equity. The Sky was the limit. We had the ability to be Entrapaneurs. We ran our own business.

Cons

As the years progressed Managment raised our minimum pricing so high we could not compete Especially when it came to smaller Merchants. They raised the monthly cost several times. They raised our sales quotas. They treated us more and more like Robots and less and less like Entrapaneurs. We weren't allowed to give the personal service we had promised the merchants. My 8 hour days turned into 12 hour days. Work / Life balance did not exist. The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased. I later found out that cost was not true cost. After more than 9 years with the Company, I decided to retire. In less than a year of leaving, my lifetime residuals have dwindled way down. The most recent cut was to convert all American Express accounts to house accounts due to a change in the American Express Program. This change substantially increased the profits of the company. They did not have to take the residuals from the former employees. I'm being told by Human Resources this was a company wide decision by Managment to no longer pay residuals to former employees. We hired people with the expectation of being the honest company. I'm receiving calls from people that gave their all to build their portfolios and have been cheated out of their monthly residual with no warning or legitimate reasoning.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Actually be honest. Remember that the Sales Force delivers the income to the Company. Follow through with your promise to the previous Employees. Many of these Employees that you have now cheated are the same ones that stood by you during the breach. Honor your promose of lifetime residuals for as long as the Customers that were brought to the company are still processing with the company.

Understanding the Heartland Culture

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heartland employees are a group of sales professionals that do not want to be tied down to a job or be a slave to a corporate monster. We have the ability to go out and HUNT for our leads, NUTURE the relationship with the business community and create a culture of making as much money as we want.

Being a slave is something that most people desire and most people do not understand that a silver chain around your neck worth 65K and a capped commission plan at 50K is a slave mentality and we do not subscribe to that here at Heartland. New candidates are clearly told this is a HUNTER role with no leads and when they fail at obtaining 10-20 appointments with out a business card yet basic training as to not put you in a situation where you fail due to vernacular, then these candidates lash out. This is a direct result of not being a consultative, value proposition sales professional.

There are quite a few companies to sell credit card services for and in the end you get no commission and a higher residual yet your tenure is on average less that 6 months and the only millionaire is the owner of that ISO. Heartland has generated at last count right over twenty millionaires due to its pay structure and yes those are sales professionals not corporate guys!

If you want a great company to sell for, doing the right things and make a great living treating merchants and other human being right then you can call this home. However, make sure you can score a touchdown if you come to the table boasting you can!

Cons

Employee enrichment on all levels so the long term goal is established while not focusing on the short term success. Turnover in Heartlands business model is not conducive to growth in the hiring arena.

Advice to Management

Bring back early Win points and get rid of the Diamond program. Take five minutes and reread the Sales Professional Bill Of Rights. Always practice what you preach.

Heartland Payment Systems Photos