Heinz

www.heinz.com

Heinz Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement(in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz(in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business(in 11 reviews)

Short term results is the name of the game!

ProsIn a culture where employees are constantly forced to do more with less, it develops through time really interesting survival skills and a lot of resilience and persistency.

ConsProfessional growth is mainly for those close to the circle of power. Decision making process is all centralized rendering manufacturing facilities to snail speed and jeopardizing relations with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementShort term results can't be sustainable. At some point the numbers will be forged.

Shadow of a once great company

Anonymous (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsPaychecks don’t bounce (yet). If you hate your family you won’t have to see them much. You gain the cultural understanding of what it is like to work in a Brazilian sweatshop. You get very acquainted with your co-workers and sometimes their body odors since you are all 2 feet away from each other at essentially picnic tables. You don’t have to worry about benefits being taken away, since there aren’t any left. Since they are taking away the employee parking lot, you will have the joy of public transportation (which is divine I assure you), actually it prepares you a bit for your seating arrangement once you get to work. You have multitudes of bosses at various levels (mostly ones who have been with the company less than 6 months and have no clue what you actually do) constantly staring over your shoulder and beating you over the head to get things done yesterday. You get to be in lovely downtown Pittsburgh, which I used to list as the one con to working at Heinz, now it is the highlight.

ConsNow the bad news. Nearly all talent and knowledge has left or is in the process of leaving the company. Heinz middle management to executive management has mostly been replaced with Brazilians that know nothing about the business and brand, little about the industry and couldn’t give a crap about employees or the history of a once proud company. The new owners want to take all budgets, resources and people away from the managers to save money and then somehow demand better results. The morale at Heinz is horrible, everyone I knew either left or is trying to leave. There are a few people left that are really trying hard to believe the lies and justify to themselves that it is a good decision to stick it out. After how I saw them treat truly valuable employees that had dedicated their lives to the company those few true believers that are still left are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point. I would advise anyone looking into employment at Heinz, DON’T, at least while these owners are still in charge. I used to be proud to say that I worked at Heinz, by the time I left I just felt embarrassed to be associated with a company that could treat people so horribly. RIP Heinz.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to owners that actually care about more than how much money they can haul back to Brazil and do Pittsburgh and the employees a favor.

Not good place for women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrands are indestructible and survive almost everything - so far anyway.

ConsFocus on cost cutting overwhelming and at times irrational. No values or respect for people. Leadership in UK amateur.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHeinz stock will be good to own once it is back on the exchange. If it goes the way of BUD and BKW, then HNZ will be nice to own.

ConsNice company to own, but a terrible company to work for. They talk about Meritocracy, but it is not really based on merit. The truth is they would rather pay a younger, somewhat capable person 60% of an experienced, fully capable person. The Executives are more than willing to accept the chaos, inefficiency, and poor results of the decisions for short term profits. For the business, it does impact the bottom line quickly and makes this a good play on the stock market over the next few years, but it makes it a lousy place for a career. If you are young, you should join the company . You will be exposed to challenges that normally you wouldn't have a chance at for years. If you are 30+ stay away unless you are an executive. 40+ forget it at any level. Sales are down but profits are up. This trend will continue. All of the great marketing people were run off -- too old and expensive. Same is true with R&D. The transportation department is an absolute train wreck. While the corporation has put a premium on managing paper, color printing, and got rid of refrigerators , there are days when production lines are down because "Heinz Transportation" can't hit commitments. They have run off all of the experienced people in this department as well -- too old an expensive. Overall though, I think the executives are happy as the inefficiency and chaos has been offset by the fewer and lower salaries. It is a different type of management to be sure, but it works quite well for short term results.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing -- keep doing what you are doing as your methods will produce great short term results and make the future stock holders, Warren Buffet and 3G a lot of money. I will not give advice to help the culture or the employees as that would be laughable. You have made it clear many times over that you do not care about the people working for you.

Used to be a great place to work

ProsContinuously challenging; those who are still around are great employees who really care about the business and continue to work hard despite the current restraints. Promises of larger compensation, but few believe this promise will be honored.

ConsNo work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day. Huge staff reductions to an already lean business, responsibility and project increases are weekly. Expectations of huge results with unrealistic timelines, and also without the supplies and equipment needed to implement the project requests. Most people do the job of 3 or more employees as they are not filling management or supervisor positions of those who left the company. Budget reductions to the point where people have to purchase their own basic supplies, such as highlighters and notepads.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the slogans. It is not helping the company. All those with knowledge were either let go or have left the business, so start learning about the products and way of life outside the corporate office walls.

Used to be a good place to work

Quality Assurance Technologist (Current Employee) Warrendale, PA (US)

ProsExpirience and looks good on a resume

ConsLess and less opportuinities available for advancment

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they dont change their approach to employment pretty soon all knowledgable employees will end up leaving

Penny pinching people squeezing company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsNothing about this company makes it worth staying back or joining here. People are leaving in droves and the money is being shown as profit

ConsThe Indian management has started a compulsory 9 hour day. If you leave early you can lose pay and sitting extra has no perks. Feels like a factory and the hr works like them too

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your resources

Used to be a great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility , salary, brand recognition, benefits

ConsNew management, culture, pay, work life balance

People over react and have difficulty with change.

ProsChallenging work that matters.
    In the new Heinz I am afforded opportunities and projects beyond what ever came my way before the buyout. Gone is the old boys club telling everyone what they can't do and "this is how we've always done things"

It is easy to show your value and abilities if you are willing to work hard.. I have never felt so empowered and engaged in my work. Management is encouraging and appreciative.

ConsMorale is so-so and people are over working themselves. Better communication and planning is needed.

Meritocracy has yet to be seen at lower levels. Yes, the appreciation is there for a level or 2 above you but managers are just as guilty as anyone for burying their head in their work and not realizing the monumental effort people are putting in.

This isn't a place for everyone. I wouldn't recommend Heinz to most of my friends as they don't have the right attitude/mindset but I honestly Love it here. If you want to work hard, grow through challenge, and own your work this is the place to be. If you want to punch a time card and float through life this place will chew you up and spit you out.

Better quality coffee is a valid request, but I'll just keep bringing my own.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerated work with extra demands on ones's time and skills should be compensated with money not just thanks and promises. We are working harder than ever. Even if a permanent raise or promotion isn't warranted consider a spontaneous bonus for project completion.

Rewarding, challenging and fast paced

Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsYes the work is plentiful, but I was given a wonderful opportunity to advance quickly and have been well compensated. I have been treated very well, love my teams in both departments and feel that leadership is getting a handle on issues and putting the right people in the right positions.

ConsCommunication is lacking between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the communication issues and things will resolve themselves much more quickly and efficiently.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!