Heinz Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
2.1

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 31 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to Executive Management Team; Variety of projects; Broad experience across the business; High earning potential; fun, talented and smart colleagues; global leading brands; iconic history; strong vision and values; ethical business practices; focus on CSR and giving back to the community; focused on developing talent and recruiting top talent

Cons

Challenging goals and high sense of urgency; always pushing to do better

Continue to offer employee benefits to increase morale

Heinz is a thriving company and an exciting place to work - after a great deal of change, it doing very well.

Current Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you work hard, you will be given a great deal of opportunity really quickly. People here are smart and driven. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

The culture can be too fast paced for some, and some departments are more time consuming or less together than others.

Challenging and Exciting Environment

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Huge opportunity as a young person. They will give you a chance. There is so much to learn and it is so fast-paced and challenging. I love it here.

Cons

Still working on building morale. Changes scare some, but it is really

Brazilian leaders don't listen

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

None anymore since 3G bought the company

Cons

Opinions - not wanted unless you are brazilan

Sell the company as soon as you can.

The Worst Experience That a Minority Employee Can Have in The U.S.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid holidays. Good health benefits.

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity. Poor treatment of employees. Lack of collaborative support. Tons of backstabbing. No opportunities for advancement

I don't even know where to start!

Moving forward

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people working very hard to take this company to the next level. We have great brands and a lot of new perspectives in this organization.

Cons

Uncertainty. Change. Negativity. We are not yet all on the same page globally.

Be honest, transparent and trust your people. Share the specifics of the vision broadly.

A real plan to improve this place

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some people who think the new Heinz and new ownership is doing great and the only thing wrong are those negative people talking around the water cooler. Get rid of them and all would be well. In their minds, that’s how close they are to running the perfect company. I feel the problems are a little deeper. Luckily it can be fixed, and I'll try and give some advice to do just that.

Cons

Right now almost everything is a Con. The place is in a constant state of disarray. I'll use a simple example to show how crazy this place is… Look at the job postings and you’ll see jobs posted as “Future Opportunities". Ever see this before? This means that so many people are quitting that they need to post jobs before people quit to keep people in the pipeline! No joke. It’s that bad.

I don't believe that rants and complaints are the answer. I believe that someone needs ot sit them down and tell them how to fix it. This is my attempt.

Here is a plan that we can call “How to Make those Fake 5 Star Reviews Real in 6 Months or Less” (HR please take notes because I know you’re listening):

1.) Have the guts to look at what you’ve done and admit mistakes. False machismo and claims of a reality and company that isn’t true does not help anyone. It is hurting morale and making more people leave. A simple message from leadership admitting they made mistakes in critical areas like cutting too deep, letting critical people leave, and customer and vendor relationships would go a long way if it was combined with a commitment (a real one this time) that it will be fixed.

2.) Fix it by bringing in people who know the Food industry, people who know the job they’re brought to do, people who want to grow and mentor staff. Fix it by investing in real talent. Not the people you’ve been importing recently. I haven’t seen one good (or dare I say competent) director or associate director brought in from the outside yet. We don’t need more leadership imports from Brazil or whatever non-relevant company or industry who are learning on the job. We need skilled professionals that hit the ground running. You let too many of those people go. Time to get them back.

3.) Start by cleaning out the top management. Get rid of the unqualified people you brought from 3G and the others you hired from the outside that aren’t working. Supply Chain, Sales, and Finance are all in shambles right now because of this. Get them out. Go back to some of the old Heinz leadership and beg them to come back. If they won’t come back (which they shouldn’t unless you get out of their way), then get new leadership from the industry this time. You’re model of hiring people outside the industry without relevant experience is not working. It is crippling us. The leadership is the worst I’ve seen in my career. We've hired director level employees that would not have even been given an interview at Heinz 2 years ago. It’s driving customers and employees away. Plus, you’re treatment of the old leadership in this company was a disgrace. Time to turn the tables on yourselves.

4.) Once leadership is in place, start trying to bring back the talent you lost. You’re not getting it from the outside and old Heinz folks won’t come back if you haven’t made real personnel changes at the top. If you get the right leaders in place, then start courting the people you boldly said you don’t need and let walk out the door. I've talked to people who have left and people loved this place and would come back if leadership was addressed.

5.) Stop posting fake reviews. You created this situation, live with it. Fix it and make it the company that you wish it was. You can’t wish it were so, you need to make it happen. Writing fake reviews doesn't make it true. Right now, it is just false advertising so that when people get here they are incredibly disappointed and feel betrayed. If we turn the ship around, then people can really write those positive reviews you so desperately want to be true. You’ll feel better about yourselves too! Turning us into a third rate body shop and the lowest cost/lowest service/lowest quality, laughing stock of the industry was not the answer. Let’s try a new path and live grounded in reality.

6.) When you fire someone for performance reasons, don’t send out emails that the person is moving on and you’ll remain BFFs and pen pals. We’re adults and know what happened. It’s insulting. It would be nice when you fire one of your own that we know why it happened and we see you’re trying to fix things. Your games at the top set the tone. Right now the tone is like fingernails on a chalk board. You can fix that by trying something new. Be Honest! (that would be a nice battle cry)

7.) In the spirit of telling the truth, please stop sending propaganda emails where benefits are eroded, but it is spun as saving money to grow Heinz. We all know the truth. You are saving money to pay down debt and put into your pockets. There is no growth now, it is all cutting. Every cost cutting stunt where a subsequnt email went out trying to tell us why it was good for us has eroded faith and confidence in leadership. We understand what you're doing and why you're doing it. We don't like it, but we like the dishonesty even more.

8.) We are not a startup. Say that with me, “We are not a Start Up”. Stop treating us that way. That's part of the reason we're in this mess. We have a very complex business that has been in existence for a long time. There were standing processes and relationships that were the cornerstone. Quality was non-negotiable. More importantly, the people were the foundation of our company. Bringing in boatloads of MBAs is not the answer. We aren’t Facebook breaking new ground being run by college students. You need to have experience to run operations. You need to be able to deliver on customer commitments. No experience = No results. Very simple equation that you really messed up. You thought you could let everyone go and replace them with no experience and lower cost. And the answer is… WRONG. You can bring in 50,000 new MBAs and college students and all you’ll wind up with are 50,000 disappointed ex-Heinz employees if things don’t change. Get the experience back and really respect the history of the company instead of the lip service we currently get.

9.) Just because the leadership team sits at the same open tables or manically runs around so people can see them and insincerely glad hand does not make them an in touch and inspiring group with a vision. What is more inspiring is having a truly professional and competent leadership group. Visible plus mediocre/unqualified equals recipe for disaster. That's what we have today. The only thing these guys inspire is a mass exodus out the door. I would feel so much better about this company if our leadership team locked themselves in a separate building all day, but they were wildly competent, dedicated, and cared about the people and the company for the long haul. We don’t need to see them. Wheel them out for special occasions and then put them back in the cellar. I only saw our old CEO a handful of times in almost 10 years, but I used to love working here. Sometimes less is more (especially all the glamour shots on our intra-net page)

10.) If you can’t execute 1-9, then please sell your stake to Berkshire and go back to where you came from.

OR, you can ignore this and do what I’m betting that you’ll do which is why I’m now on the job market - just stick your head in the sand and stay the course, continue to post fake reviews while not fixing the real problems, allow management to abuse people, manipulate results, continue cutting where it is completely illogical, cut corners in product quality, take away the few benefits we have remaining, hire unqualified hacks, take no accountability for your actions, and hang on hoping that you’ll be able to put enough lipstick on this pig to cash out.

The ball is in your court.

The Best Years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There was a steady stream of work to keep the plant going. The plant management team was great, however as the buy out was approaching, things were changing fast.
    A great team of fellow employees who are worked together for over 25 years.

Cons

There was no concern of some of the skills people had. It became a fact of "who knew who" for what really happened there.

Bring the company back to the old days and provide the service that build Heinz to what they were.

Ask Heinz how to ruin a company, I'm sure they will tell you.

Current Employee - Label Op in Fremont, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Label Op in Fremont, OH (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Money and OT are always plentiful.

Cons

Long hours, horrible people beside you

Leave

Run by Brazilian Teens

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be great- not many positives now

Cons

So much loss of expertise and experience and knowledge has been replaced by Brazilian kids with little if any experience