Hennepin County Medical Center

Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

David Jones

get along well with staffs. No face to face patient service. Great experience.

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

awesome workers to work with and the experience to get your feet at the door for career.

Cons

Working at home is not what they say until you finish your specialties and good performances. Never a settling job and no goals to achieve on work. Poor training due to shortage of analyst and never a stable work environment. Always new management or manager comes and go, which ruins your ability and the work to be effective because it's always changing constantly. They say flexible schedule but literally not. There's no increase negotiable for salary.

Read policy carefully in every detail you can because it is a union and you have rights. If it's not documented it's not done. Speak up and know that you have rights. Good experience but wouldn't recommend to be permanent.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people who are compassionate about patients

Cons

costly parking and congested location

communications to employees of all levels helps to create a team atmosphere.

love it

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

team work, nice people pleasent

Cons

confident kind , loving, understanding

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old Boys Network at the top

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time

Pros

Staff are compassionate about the patient population. Many of Minnesota's physicians were trained at HCMC in medical school, residencies or fellowships.

Cons

Many doctors have leadership titles and salaries, but aren't held accountable for changing physician culture. Maybe new CEO will make a difference. There is not a burning platform for being the "best." Good enough seems good enough seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Great staff and great work being done while in leadership transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

We have really great, talented, and compassionate staff. I love that we are a teaching and learning hospital. There is really some great work being done here and, as we are transitioning leadership, we have a great opportunity to change how we are engaged within our community.

Cons

Currently we are transitioning leadership with new management and new staff. Change can be scary, but I'm hoping for the best. A lot of older employees have been here a very long time and need to choose between retiring or continuing to work.

Encourage more employee growth and team cohesiveness - continue with the positive changes you are making and help us strive for excellence in every area so we can become a better hospital all together

Mid-level administrators are among the worst in the industry. Lip service to patient care but without actual excellence.

Pros

Nurses are great, medical/surgical residents and attending staff are generally pretty good.

Cons

Leadership is lacking and a culture of mediocrity pervades HCMC. There is a lot of "dead weight" in the lower level and middle level administration that does nothing useful and does not enhance the quality of medical care. There is a boilerplate mentality and no one asks what more they can do. Many clerical workers are lazy and/or inept. A lot of workers have a bad attitude.

Change the culture to reflect putting actual patient care ahead of "blah blah blah," lots of empty words.

Care and compassion

Current Employee - Lactation Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

The people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

Cons

It is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

Current Employee - BA MA  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

Cons

Wretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Pull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

Cons

Lack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Learning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

Dysfunction at it's best

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great employees who have done more with less for years and years.

Cons

This organization is the most money, personnel and common sense starved place to work I have ever seen. Manager do not have the dollars or the people to get the job done. Money is always at issue, even for simple infrastructure refreshing. Leadership has been unstable since the governance change of 2007, so manager and line staff have no feeling of being cared for and don't believe administration can solve the issues of budget shortfalls, retention, aging infrastructure, siloing and poor performance.

Clean house. Clearly, senior management has failed - especially in the nursing hierarchy. Why do you continue, from CEO to CEO to allow mediocrity to continue?

Worked for Hennepin County Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!