Higher One

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Volchek

Flexible!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Higher One as a contractor for more than a year

ProsDecent pay for a telecommute position, flexible hours!

ConsI had no bad experiences with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance reviews should be done on a consistent basis!

Pretty

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Higher One part-time

ProsGood Pay, Flexible schedule,

ConsThe training is self paced. Confusing.

NEED BETTER TRAINING!!!!

Customer Care Agent (Former Employee)
New Haven, CT (US)

I worked at Higher One part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking from home and having flexibility when time is need off or changed

ConsPay is not that great ...training is a joke.... the people that they have to help you with calls are that dependable..

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-vamp you whole operation from the bottom to the top. This is a company that could be great but it is mediocre . Better train ALL off your staff.

Overall an ok company to work for, but training could be more thorough

Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Higher One part-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay scale, get to work out of my home. Never have to work on weekends. Company will pay a portion of your phone bill each month.

ConsNo benefits because most jobs are seasonal part time. AFter working the first season, you are sometimes not allowed to have the same schedule as before. Problems with the software connections weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should not penalize employees for company's software/computer problems. Previous employees should have choice of schedule before new employees.

Great Culture!

I have been working at Higher One full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture - fun activities, community involvement, free lunch 3x a week, on-site fitness facility.

Cons1-year wait to participate in the 401(k). Only offers high deductible health insurance plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to participate in the 401(k) when other benefits are effective - company match can be after a year, but at least let me contribute towards my retirement w/o the long wait. Provide other health insurance options - not just HDP. I'd pay more for a co-pay plan.

Lies, lies, lies

New Haven, CT (US)

I have been working at Higher One full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree lunch, free parking and onsite fitness center

ConsA fabricated company culture, corrupt leadership team and constant lies to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Great Opportunity if You're Willing to Work Hard

I have been working at Higher One full-time

ProsEmbrace Creativity
Value Open Communication
Cool Building and Free Food
Teams generally work well together

ConsThe commitment to "There is a Way" sometimes means taking on lots of projects at once, even when resources are stretched thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping the company a great place to work will come from continuing to live out the core values, not just increasing unique benefits.

Work at Home: It's Ok

I have been working at Higher One

ProsWork at home. Pay is okay. Works around my school schedule.

ConsTraining should be more realistic. The system seems pretty outdated.
Training could be a whole lot better. Taking calls is nervous enough and not being fully trained is horrifying. Work at home jobs aren't for everyone especially if you like to see how things are done.

If you work at home....

Customer Care Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Higher One part-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice part time job that pays ok. Do not expect more than that or you will be very disappointed.

Work and Life balance is great. They are very willing to work around any time you need off.

ConsYour advancement opportunities for working at home are very limited. If you want to advance I would suggest that you work on site and not at home. I have worked here for over 5 years and they still only offer me 25-20 hours a week of work. There really is no full time available. Right now the company is run by the "bean counters" so make sure that you shovel those calls through as fast as possible. They expect about 10 calls per hour and have a lot of talking points to hit so this is not an easy job. They expect "one call resolution" and it is just about impossible to actually do.

Right now the refund business is not as robust as it once was. Less refunds are being given out and everyone is attempting to add other services that will take up the slack. Add to this that the last 2 founders are leaving this year. So there are a lot of changes going on that will affect how many hours we all work and the financial health of the company. Every day we get new directives. Change is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of only hearing from the managers when you make a mistake, how about giving us more "pats on the back" when we do something good. I agree that the training is very lacking and could use improvement.

Horrible training for work at home agents.

Customer Care Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Higher One part-time for less than a year

ProsHiring process was seamless. Pay is pretty good for a virtual position.

ConsTRAIN employees with a mock system. You cannot expect us to take live calls and know what we are doing with the current training --which was just simply reading. "Training" was a pathetic joke. Trainers not very helpful when asking for help in chat. Training should be an online class, dialed in on a bridge line where we can talk and ask questions. I cannot express how stupid this training was.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour training for at home agents needs a total revamp.

Worked for Higher One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Higher One reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Higher One CEO Mark Volchek. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by Higher One employees.