Higher One Reviews

47 reviews filtered by
3.4
Marc Sheinbaum

1. Customer Service Agent

Current Employee - CSA in Oneida, KY (US)
    Current Employee - CSA in Oneida, KY (US)

I have been working at Higher One part-time

Pros

Great training. You are well prepared to assist customers by the time you're through training.

Cons

Communication is hit or miss with at home workers.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees who go the extra mile.

2. Excellent company to work for.

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training if you are comfortable with self study.
    Decent pay for this job type.
    High respect from co-workers via chat and email.

Cons

Company policies are not understood by many customers which makes them angry and difficult to deal with.
    Job is remote in a financial industry hence Higher One is hesitant to give too much responsibility to remote workers. Would like more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Your treatment of workers is outstanding. Only suggestion would be to allow remote workers to have more responsibility so job is not so rote and monotonous.

3. Good company to work for

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the opportunity to work from home. I'm retired and wanted something to keep me feeling productive and focused, so I work 20 hours per week. 20 hours is what I specified, other schedules are available. I also like the fact that I am an employee. I don't want to deal with filing quarterly income estimates, paying my own social security etc. I'd rather let them handle that. I am paid $11 per hour, which is what I was offered when I started 6 months ago. Pay is never late and always correct. There are opportunities for additional hours at times, as well as opportunities for unpaid days off upon request. The other employees I interact with remotely are pleasant and professional.

Cons

Relatively low pay
    I wish I had more flexibility as far as my work schedule, but I understand that isn't possible for this type of job
    There is a lot to learn and a lot to know to do the job well

Advice to Management

Offer some type of pay incentive for adherence and QA ratings.

5. Good place to work to build resume

Former Employee - Help Desk II in New Haven, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Help Desk II in New Haven, CT (US)

I worked at Higher One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The office culture is great. Fun atmosphere, free lunches, and a beautifully renovated historical building (New Haven location). When I was there knowledge and idea sharing ran rampant in my department. Others were always very helpful. I learned a lot working here and had a great time doing it. They do a lot for morale in the sense of coffee bar, games in the break rooms, social events, etc...

Cons

Compensation is low (25th percentile). Personally I felt I was being held back from advancement because I was needed on my team. The company grew too large too fast for its own good and they lost a lot of good people because of it. Middle management tends to kill the culture for the newbie employees. It was fun to work at when it was a smaller company but started to lose it's appeal after a while. Overworked and under appreciated. Free lunch and coffee only gets you so far.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Let employees explore their talents and move to other teams if they want to. Internal cross training is a good thing. If you come to work at HO realize it's not a normal corporate culture so be prepared to adjust accordingly.

6. don't work here

I worked at Higher One

Pros

none that I can share

Cons

compensation is not competitive with market

7. Good place to work

I have been working at Higher One

Pros

Flexible hours
    reasonable pay
    Friendly atmosphere
    Free lunches

Cons

Nothing to say. I enjoy working here.

8. Good and Bad

I worked at Higher One

Pros

I think that the pay is good for staying home to work, and if you like to train basically on your own, you will like it. Not a lot of help from chat coaches. Have an outline to follow, but not a lot of structure. Could have a little more of a classroom setting so that there is someone there to explain things to you other than how to log in and out.

Cons

Think that the chat coaches could be a little more informative to the material and not just how to log in and out of systems. Don't plan on swaying from your schedule at all. It would also be nice to have a little time on phones before they cut you loose! And as far as phones, they need to have a system like a SIP phone or something that you can dial in on your computer. Land lines are not something everyone is interested in having anymore and the only way you can work for this company. Some of the people you talk with are very nice and others are young and just don't get it/1

Advice to Management

I would definitely look into a secure server to connect everyone so that you don't have to have a land line. Please look at the people as employees and not just replaceable!

9. good company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Haven, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Haven, CT (US)

I have been working at Higher One part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy interview very good pay

Cons

there an high turnover because the schedule is not flexible

Customer service Specialist

I worked at Higher One

Pros

Allows you to Work from Home, which is the best of other all. Pay scale decreased for new employees from when I started.

Cons

Did not provide fair Scheduling for the tenured employees. Which caused a higher turnover. Started great but soon as the company went public working for them became more difficult. Great opportunity for any one that wants to work from home.

Advice to Management

Work with tenured employees on scheduling

Seasonal Home Based Customer Care Agent

Current Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, support team, resources, flexibility. OK pay for what your doing.

Cons

Only twenty hours of training before you are put on the phones. Hours spent sitting and if you get up it impacts your adherence score.

Advice to Management

For those on phones for hours on end I would suggest incorporating breaks so people can get up and stretch their legs.