Higher One

Updated 5 March 2015
Updated 5 March 2015
3.4

Marc Sheinbaum

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Home Based Customer Care Agent
    Current Employee - Home Based Customer Care Agent

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the opportunity to work from home. I'm retired and wanted something to keep me feeling productive and focused, so I work 20 hours per week. 20 hours is what I specified, other schedules are available. I also like the fact that I am an employee. I don't want to deal with filing quarterly income estimates, paying my own social security etc. I'd rather let them handle that. I am paid $11 per hour, which is what I was offered when I started 6 months ago. Pay is never late and always correct. There are opportunities for additional hours at times, as well as opportunities for unpaid days off upon request. The other employees I interact with remotely are pleasant and professional.

Cons

Relatively low pay
    I wish I had more flexibility as far as my work schedule, but I understand that isn't possible for this type of job
    There is a lot to learn and a lot to know to do the job well

Offer some type of pay incentive for adherence and QA ratings.

Good place to work to build resume

Former Employee - Help Desk II in New Haven, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Help Desk II in New Haven, CT (US)

I worked at Higher One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The office culture is great. Fun atmosphere, free lunches, and a beautifully renovated historical building (New Haven location). When I was there knowledge and idea sharing ran rampant in my department. Others were always very helpful. I learned a lot working here and had a great time doing it. They do a lot for morale in the sense of coffee bar, games in the break rooms, social events, etc...

Cons

Compensation is low (25th percentile). Personally I felt I was being held back from advancement because I was needed on my team. The company grew too large too fast for its own good and they lost a lot of good people because of it. Middle management tends to kill the culture for the newbie employees. It was fun to work at when it was a smaller company but started to lose it's appeal after a while. Overworked and under appreciated. Free lunch and coffee only gets you so far.

Lighten up. Let employees explore their talents and move to other teams if they want to. Internal cross training is a good thing. If you come to work at HO realize it's not a normal corporate culture so be prepared to adjust accordingly.

Good place to work

I have been working at Higher One

Pros

Flexible hours
    reasonable pay
    Friendly atmosphere
    Free lunches

Cons

Nothing to say. I enjoy working here.

Good and Bad

I worked at Higher One

Pros

I think that the pay is good for staying home to work, and if you like to train basically on your own, you will like it. Not a lot of help from chat coaches. Have an outline to follow, but not a lot of structure. Could have a little more of a classroom setting so that there is someone there to explain things to you other than how to log in and out.

Cons

Think that the chat coaches could be a little more informative to the material and not just how to log in and out of systems. Don't plan on swaying from your schedule at all. It would also be nice to have a little time on phones before they cut you loose! And as far as phones, they need to have a system like a SIP phone or something that you can dial in on your computer. Land lines are not something everyone is interested in having anymore and the only way you can work for this company. Some of the people you talk with are very nice and others are young and just don't get it/1

I would definitely look into a secure server to connect everyone so that you don't have to have a land line. Please look at the people as employees and not just replaceable!

good company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Haven, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Haven, CT (US)

I have been working at Higher One part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy interview very good pay

Cons

there an high turnover because the schedule is not flexible

Customer service Specialist

I worked at Higher One

Pros

Allows you to Work from Home, which is the best of other all. Pay scale decreased for new employees from when I started.

Cons

Did not provide fair Scheduling for the tenured employees. Which caused a higher turnover. Started great but soon as the company went public working for them became more difficult. Great opportunity for any one that wants to work from home.

Work with tenured employees on scheduling

Seasonal Home Based Customer Care Agent

Current Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, support team, resources, flexibility. OK pay for what your doing.

Cons

Only twenty hours of training before you are put on the phones. Hours spent sitting and if you get up it impacts your adherence score.

For those on phones for hours on end I would suggest incorporating breaks so people can get up and stretch their legs.

The Higher One home-based job is a great place to work; opportunity to work from the comfort of your home.

Former Contractor - Home Based Customer Care Agent in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Contractor - Home Based Customer Care Agent in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Higher One as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The corporate culture came across as each employee was helpful and accountable toward one another. Help and support was expected and embraced. The online training for home-based representatives was good, just a little disorganized but with some improvements can be made seamless.

Cons

The banking products are terrible. Most of the bad calls that came from the students were because they kept having to resubmit their identification documents over and over and over again before they could get access for their account and funds. This needs to be changed. Also, they need to do more support the training for new home-based hires that they already have instead of constantly rehiring and retraining new hires each peak season.

Stop touting that you have a great banking product for students. You do not. Charging them for replacement cards and certain transactions is ridiculous. Some of the fees you offer are actually predatory. Create a better way for students to submit their identification documents. CALL them if you receive illegible documents more than once instead of simply sticking them back into the system. They have enough frustrations ahead of them. Don't be the first source of it. Luckily, you hire agents who really do care and work to help students through what the agents know is really a hot mess.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Higher One

Pros

The Culture, lunches, PTO and fruit are great ad ons. The technology they supply is also a great and very useful.

Cons

The health benefits are not great but are like most others. They offer a high deductible plan and a low deductible plan. It is a major health company so finding a primary is not hard.