Hitachi Consulting

Hitachi Consulting Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr

Philip R. Parr

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is good but although depends on the project"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Great people, interesting work, chance to learn, good opportunities for training"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "But perhaps better work life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior Management layer is not having any management skills"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company with high Growth

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as an intern for less than a year

ProsAmazing people and work environment...
New agendas and focus to capture the wider audience
Aggressively growing with younger talen
Senior management is really doing a great job in terms of new policies and agendas

ConsTaking time for adopting changes

Advice to Senior ManagementGood decisions taken this year... keep it up

Good Company

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsA good place to work for few years

ConsMid level management is poor

Advice to Senior ManagementWake Up

Great Culture

Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture is very relaxed and the people are great. Great mentoring and learning opportunity.
They give you important tasks early.

ConsThey focus on IT projects and less management consulting projects.

No real differentiation in the market

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

ProsFor young consultants trying to gain experience, Hitachi can be a good place to work. Not sure its a place to hang your hat for a career.

ConsSeems to be a lack of commitment and understanding by executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair with employees.

hitachit

Business Analyst Consultant (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat place for new graduates to learn the industry and gain experience

Conslimited potential for personal career growth

Advice to Senior Managementacknowledge superiors

Director - Strategy

Director - Strategy (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood brand association due to the Parent company.

ConsLack of a growth strategy, declining market share, acquisitions are a disaster since the acquired teams are completely neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts about time to realize and embrace globalization to stay competitive & expand operations.

The Acquisition Growth Model .....

Director (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHitachi HQ passionately believes in building a services company - and is backing the passion with Big Dollars that have funded multiple acquisitions. Acquired companies are fast growing, innovate businesses - fun places to work that are staffed with bright and very motivated individuals. Post Integration things tend to change ....

ConsThe culture is slow, risk adverse and positively discourages innovation. The business (mistakenly) seems to mistake acquisition for innovation. Companies acquired by Hitachi rapidly lose their edge and culture post as they are assimilated into Hitachi Consulting Way. Phrases such as 'leverage model' and 'utilisation model' are key - which seems to mean billing junior people, at high rates for long periods of time. This drives burnout and in turn attrition all of which stimies growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a vision that extends beyond 'We want to be big and make lots of money' - this is not the kind of vision that you can build a strategy around. Be comfortable with what you are - you are not Accenture, IBM or Deloitte. Adopt a model for the future not the past.

Adventures of a Road Warrior

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

ProsEvery project is different, which means some projects are great and filled with awesome people. Hitachi is one of the few companies around that pays out per diem rather than actuals, which really makes being a road warrior worth it. There are plenty of travel opportunities, and you are able to take advantage of the points (airline, hotel, etc.) easily. In general, you can work from home on Friday, and managers tend to be understanding of time off for doctors appointments that you cannot take care of during the week.

ConsFirst of all, every region is different. I have heard many different stories and experiences from all over the country, and it seems to depend on where you are at. This is my experience from my location.

-There is a huge push to try and force an office community. This means many clubs, after work events, corporate get-togethers. This is nice, and is a good way to get to know people, but it should be my choice to go, and my annual review should not reflect how active I am in these activities. Our annual review process seems more hinged on how many groups you are involved in, rather than the quality and effort of your work.

-When hired straight out of school (or with limited experience), you are placed in a core group. This is billed as a great opportunity to build your skills and try new areas. However, in practice, you will be placed wherever they can put you so that the company can make money. This means that once you have any sort of experience in one area, you will stay in that area til the end of time. In theory, you can work your way into the career direction that you would like, but in hard economic times like these, it's highly unlikely.

-The annual review process is very drawn out, and very secretive. Like most consulting firms, you are represented by an adviser who presents you in a meeting and fights to get you a fair ranking (from 1-5). You are compared amongst your peers in your level (which means you are compared against some people who are creating applications from scratch as well as people who create training documentation. While both are valid and necessary portions of the job, there are extreme differences in the level of effort and skill sets that are needed to complete each project). You do not get to represent yourself. Your performance evaluation hinges on someone who may have never worked with you, and may have only spoken with you for a few hours out of the year. Results are released about two months after ratings have been determined by the group. This delay is caused by the "Secret" review that is undergone by the executive levels. They will fight to keep all reviews within a bell curve, and will change ratings as necessary to keep that perfect curve. This results in some people unfairly being rated negatively to keep that curve. And again, in this review, your participation in the extra community building teams is HIGHLY taken into consideration.

-Some other reviews have nailed the big problem with our clients. We accept projects that no other firm would accept. These are projects with unrealistic expectations (work that they want completed within 6 weeks, that realistically is going to take 6 months). When all the other firms walk away, we step right in and, in most cases, fail because we are not set up to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are leaving in droves. I have heard the excuse that "they are just not meant for consulting". If this is the case, why do people go to other consulting firms? Listen to your employees, and maybe these talented performers will start staying.

Fantastic place to start a career, but not the right place for me to grow

Consultant (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people when I started were excellent - I admired the leaders and my peers from my local office. I worked here directly out of undergrad and was given great opportunities to work in different industries and in different functional areas. Better work life balance than most consultancies

ConsExperiences and expectations differ widely by which office you are in and what your background is. Pay increase is slow until you are eligible for performance compensation. Leadership at the company level (not the office-level) is disconnected.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring definitely needs improvement - the consultants hired out of undergrad are the most talented people at the company, and I often felt like I was picking up slack for poor MBA and experienced hires (who were brought in at a higher salary level than I ever attained).

Struggling to find a reason to stay

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe professionals in the trenches are quality individuals for the most part.
Project work is challenging.
Travel oppportunities are available.

ConsSenior Management is out of touch with reality. Projects are bid without consideration of the work that needs to be done. Most contracts are negotiated to a price, not a deliverable.
Leadership does not hesitate to throw their team under the bus in order to make themselves look better. It is an "old boys club" that does not value the hard work and sacrafice given by their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people doing the work. Your tactics of underbidding just to win the work are hurting you in the long run. If you want to be the discount service provider, then brand yourself as such and stop trying to compete with the real consulting firms.
Your HR issues will not go away and will continue to grow if you allow VPs and Directors to run roughshod over the people who deliver your services. Try standing up for your employees once. You may be surprised at the results you get.

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hitachi Consulting reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hitachi Consulting CEO Philip R. Parr. All 325 reviews are posted anonymously by Hitachi Consulting employees.