Hobby Lobby

Updated 1 March 2015
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Its the Hobby Lobby way!!

Current Employee - Crafts
    Current Employee - Crafts

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They offer $15/hr which is more than I can say for most retail places. They have a wide selection of merchandise too.

Cons

The fact that the pay is so good. They make u feel like you owe them your lung because of it. There is alot of favoritism also which kills team spirit

Show some genuine appreciation to your employees because they are truly the ones that make your company run. They are the ones in direct contact with the customers that come into the store to give you the money you are going after.

Non Advancement oppurtunities

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Good place to work at if you are looking for a full time job
    Closed Sunday

Cons

Start the majority of employees out at part time
    Almost 0% chance of advancement past Assistant Manager. They hire from outside the company rather than promote from within on almost all manager/ co-manager positions.

I don't understand why they don't promote from within. It only makes sense when you have an employee with years of experience in your company, knowing all the ins and outs, to hire within. Why does it make sense to hire big box store managers that need to be taught everything from scratch and sometimes deprogrammed from their last job.

Working for Hobby Lobby

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

I loveee Working there. I'm a Christian, so it feels like I'm just in the right place to work for as a job. I do not have to hide my religious views because my company is builded on the pillars of Christianity. It's truly a blessing, and working there I really feel like a part of a team with my other co workers. I have the coolest Managers, so down to earth, and they really work with your schedule. Greatest thing is that it closes at 8 and it's closed Sundays, so I dont have to miss Church!

Cons

There are no cons. absolutely none

cashier

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

i love all of the discounts

Cons

the managers were very difficult

stop being hypocrits

Decent job, but stressful

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The starting pay is much more than any job I've had. My coworkers are great people and fun to work with. Managers are awesome. I love that we close at 8, and I'm very grateful for Sundays off.

Cons

There are so many rules that no one ever told me about, and then I get in trouble for breaking them. There are no scanners, which makes everything very slow. Remembering all the discounts is absolutely ridiculous. I've never been more berated and insulted by customers before working here. I get very little hours.

Inform each employee of all the corporate regulations. The system of manually entering prices and remembering discounts needs to be improved.

Great company to work for, just not forever

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, paid training, Christian based environment

Cons

For a retail job, the stress level is outrageous. Deadlines are pushed too harshly.

No comment.

It's an OK place to get more experience in the work force but as a student in college I wouldn't recommend staying.

Current Employee - Seasonal Stockman in Pasadena, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Stockman in Pasadena, TX (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The good reasons to work here is that it builds better communication skills with people. I easily get along with co workers.

Cons

The only challenge I see is to get things zoned and cleaned on time and also dealing with picky or rude customers.

As a sudent studying criminal justice to get in the FBI academy. This job is the last thing on my mind. Most employees have a low self esteem and missed there chances for better opportunitys but it is understandable for situations they had in there earlier years but the only thing that gets on my nerves is that some just chose to do nothing in there lives when doors where open. The managers can be disorganized but some are very good with managing time and ideas before the last minute. The store I work at didn't have a better idea for good time zoning until the head management payed a visit. Unfortunately I tend to get bored easily in this job it just never brings any new challenges according to long term co workers.

Great Company.... BUT.....

Current Employee - Jewelry/Wearable Arts Department Head in Heath, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Jewelry/Wearable Arts Department Head in Heath, OH (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

ETHICAL, GOOD PAY, NICE PEOPLE

Cons

Company is too strict. nflexible structure limits authority of Management. Employees don't really seem to matter to the company. When District and Regional managers come to store (which is at least once a month), they don't even bother looking at employees, much less say "hello". There are limited advancement opportunities. Absolutely NO BENEFITS for PART TIME employees, which is the majority of them.

They can't do anything so why bother.

Worked in Middle Management for 7 years, not bad for the money

Former Employee - Framing Department Manager in Grandville, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Framing Department Manager in Grandville, MI (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good money for retail, ethical company, promotes from within

Cons

Working nights and weekends, some holidays, not open to individual store improvements, everything is set up at a corporate level.

I agree that all stores should have uniform policies, values, and general set up, but I think you might see more creative improvements if you were to allow individual stores to implement their own problem solving and systems techniques. Giving employees the opportunity to be creative in bettering their workplace would give them a sense of ownership in the company and would help to reduce turnover.

Hobby Lobby Photos