Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green

David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays(in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time(in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed(in 20 reviews)

Bi Polar Work Environment

Cashier (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

ProsOne of the best things about this company is their flexibility in working around my college schedule.

ConsWere very inconsiderate when time was needed off for family emergencies, or sick leave. The managers are over worked and take it out on the employees. There are little to no leadership opportunities, chances for promotion or personal growth.

A part time job with values

Cashier (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsGet to work for pretty good wages, especially for a retail store.
    Good hours, can be flexible.

ConsWhile the head of the company is indeed Biblical as they claim, some managers just do their own thing. I had one manager that would keep us until nearly ten each night, then after he left we had one that kept us only as needed (generally nine at the latest) and we were all a lot happier and more unified with the second.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all the managers on the same page.

Set it, condense it, move it, move it again, and clearance.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGreat benefits, Closed on Sundays, reasonable bonus goals. I consistently achieved 100% of my quarterly bonuses. Its a fast paced environment with a heavy focus on well paid full time associates. Approximately 70/30 full time to part time. Merchandise doesn't get stale, you are always on the leading edge of the next season. Styles and pricing are always competitive.

ConsOutdated POS systems make checkouts and return little tedious. Ordering done with pencil and paper. After all of the culture and religious aspects it is still retail and comes with all of the trappings. Much of your happiness is dependant on the quality of your district and regional manager. Demand a lot from the store managers and co managers (replacement). Plan on setting something and condensing/moving it 3-5 times before it finally goes to clearance. DON'T do this if you can't tolerate being covered in glitter for 3 months a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings work well when using one voice and staying consistent. Not so much when shooting from the hip.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager is insane...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woodbury, MN (US)

ProsPay is above average if you are full time. Closed on Sundays. Christian company.

ConsFull time hard to achieve. Most people are part time which means lower pay. Work off the clock is normal and required. Meetings are off the clock in many cases. Cashiers must type in prices and departments of the merchandise instead of scanning, which can lead to many mistakes. Terrible management!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are told one thing by one manager; other by another manager. It is very difficult to know what is correct. The overall problem is the store manager herself. She not only micro-manages the employees; she belittles them and the employees can never do anything right, even when it was at her prior direction.

This location has lost many of the exceptional workers because of this manager and employees are baffled as to how she got this job and how she remains in a management position.

An investigation should be made so the truth will be known before all the great employees leave.

Very stressful environment to work for when she is there.

Enjoyed working here.

Lead Cashier/CSM (Former Employee) Modesto, CA (US)

ProsFamily run business. Sundays off. Great pay for full time employees. Great atmosphere for customers to shop. Lots of products to choose from.

ConsNeeds better management with better communication. Lots of favoritism between management and some employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat EVERYONE the same. No favorites.

Co Manager

Co Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent hours for management. Every other weekend off. Excellent staff to work with at most stores.

ConsExcessive corporate visits. Store Manager salary is low. Under performing managers are kept employed too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore Managers are under paid in my opinion. Higher pay and less visits.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Retail is retail

Stockman (Current Employee)

ProsGuaranteed Sundays off. Full time benefits include:
    PPTO
    Paid vacations
    Holiday pay
    Generous Christmas bonus

ConsNo barcode scanners. Everything is manual on the registers.

i never imagined i would work at such a great company!

Buyer (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

Prosthis company gave me a chance when others would not. They have given me raises and bonuses every year that are a lot more than national average and, i didnt even know i got a bonus!
    i was able to move up from data entry to a buyers position without college experiance. (i was interviewed and they judged me for what kind of person i am and, gave me the job).
    when my kids are sick, they tell me to go home and take care of them and, i am still getting paid because , im salary.

Consbecause this is a large company there are issues with comunication between dept's within the company.
    they may do something that effects your job and not think to tell you about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep managing this company with the same goals and, leading by example. Remember to Listen to employees ideas and consider changes that could make your dept and, the company a better place to work.

If you have to work retail, work here!

Department Head (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, Sundays off, generous vacation/sick time, yearly bonuses, good insurance coverage, and no crazy hours during the holidays.

ConsNot much room for advancement, still using old-school technology, putting out Christmas in June, the occasional nasty customer, and you are constantly covered in glitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology needs to be advanced, and merchandise programs should be changed by region (i.e. cowboy decor really doe not sell in the midwest)

Love Hobby Lobby!!

Office Manager/Cards and Party Lead (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD (US)

ProsGreat environment, great co-workers, excellent management, fast paced environment, excellent pay and benefits, becAuse the hiring process is very selective, only the best will be offered full time. This company is great I am so thankful they came to my area!

ConsCould take more than a year to get full time status. Relays are very demanding, sometimes the store doesn't have enough people to deal with the demand. constantly moving and condensing seasonal (but thats retail right?)

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!