Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 22 reviews
  • "You think you can really make a difference, problem is upper management won't allow it"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 42 reviews
  • "New inquiries will suffer and not get the attention needed to convert to move-ins"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible Management Practices

Regional Sales Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with Seniors, enjoying their stories, and helping them extend their lives in a meaningful way. There are good people that want to work with the seniors working here.

ConsHorrible management from the top of this organization. They don't care about their employees. There is constant stress that makes you feel like your job could end at any time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they are part of the process and not just a person you have to pay.

If you like working under great pressure, very high risk, and an average pay of $3 per hour this is the place for you.

Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsMost people say working with the residents and I do agree this has much gratification but I liked working with my spouse in a setting where the couple has much to offer the residents.

ConsWorking at Holiday requires a "Manager, Ha Ha" to work 14 hour days, work for FREE on your off days, be proficient at cleaning up blood, feces and urine daily, be willing to be up all night for "emergencies such as I dropped the TV remote and now I can't reach it. You will find dead bodies on a regular basis, and naked people in the hallways is a common site. You will serve 30 pots of coffee for 6 hours a day, call the same 50 people everyday to beg them to move into your Gracious Living Community while they are threatening you with your life if you ever call them again. The shuttle bus is always broke down. There's no money to buy shampoo for the carpet cleaner but plenty of stamps for marketing. Real men will eat quiche 3 times a week for supper. You will know every policeman/fireman/rescue worker and EMT on a first name basis. Your regional supervisors will threaten you daily or fire you weekly. The meals included in your compensation package are a joke because they run out of food before its your turn to eat. The luxury apartment offered as compensation is a 540 sq. ft. apartment that rents for $400 per month down the street, and then you get to rent a $400 per month apartment to a trusting senior for only $3300 per month. Congratulations are in order if you last 6 months. You out lasted 95% of the other deceived hard working honest couples in your training class... and I can go on and on and on and on and on..........

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep you REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) designation have your superiors stop telling Holiday "management" employees to "never pick up residents off of the floor because you know we are independent living and all the while smiling and winking at them." Meaning, you know each case is different so you have to decide who to pick up and who not to pick up, because we can't have a firetruck and ambulance outside the front door all day long! We must protect the REIT at all cost because we don't want to pay all of them taxes. (Actually taught at training and by the on-site training managers, yep that's right.)

Built-in Conflict

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

ProsGetting to work with young people at the beginning of their business experience and with wonderful people who have contributed to their families, churches and communities.

ConsEverything else. Regional directors lie and give orders contradicting orders given by District leadership. Regional leaders hold managers responsible for the failures of previous managers. Commission and bonus plans constantly change to the detriment of the community management/sales level employee. Managers and sales teams are not in the same line of authority so sales people can function indecently of managers with no consequence. Managers are disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Be creative in marketing. Recognize there are market differences. Tell the truth.

Someone at some level of this company needs to start managing people

Co Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsCo Manager position is rewarding with no stress

ConsExtremely frustrating as all lead managers we have met and or worked with are arrogant, lazy and have no business experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in to the communities unannounced. Spend several evenings and on site - not in a hotel. Eventually the lack of management in the communities should become apparent. When you see a lead manager sit through a meal and not deliver the Holiday Touch - it is not because you are there - it is because that is what they do day after day after day. Have round tables with employees and ensure they feel comfortable that you truly want feedback from them. Check out Kronos when you see that your leads are off for 4, 5, 6, 7... 10 days - did they actually log vacation time The time stolen from the company is atrocious. RD's manage the leads... they need it desperately and home office - allow RDs to fire people. Coach the managers and maybe some day they will learn how to be managers...

Working with Seniors is the best part of my job

Enrichment Coordinator (Current Employee)
Farmington, CT (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe residents and there families are what keep me going! I love the ability to get creative and provide the best enrichment program that I can. I enjoy working with the team within the community.

ConsMake up your mind- one day you want us to focus on "X" and then the next day they want us to focus on "Q" with us always changing gears we can never build momentum.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the community team to know what they are doing and stop hounding them for one more tour or move-in. Have more focus on positive than negative.

Do not let your family move into one of these communities! They will increase your rent 6%

Community Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have a new job now!!

ConsI had been ill for a few months, plus a death in the family. My RD = she could care less. It was the end of the month = six move ins, 95% census, but still never enough. She just kept pushing for more move ins. TOO bad that I was sick with a kidney stone and a death. Too bad that there was black mold in the community - yes the Reg. Maint. knew all of this: NASTY kitchen, broken elevator, no Enrichment Coordinator. All the big guys knew this. BUT< you better find more move ins! If you can find a person with a little life left in them = move them in! Now they have hired these "trainers" What a joke!!! You go to classes to learn information that we already know. HEY< RD, R Chefs, R Maint. spend a night in a community, try to eat a meal when you have to pour coffee, oversee the dining room, serve food. Then when you finally get to sit down and eat that "wonderful" chef prepare meal= the residents come to complain and they speak so loud their spit goes on your plate. So much for eating a meal! Then you have your RD calling in the middle of the meal to ask how bout that signing you might have today. WOW= What a life!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLET'S SEE!! You are loosing a fortune because you are always hiring and training. Take care of the management that you have and you will save a lot of money. That is a no brainer!

Worst corporate bullies ever!!!! Run, don't walk away from this corporation!!!

Community Sales Leader (Former Employee)
Mid City West, PA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe reward of helping the elderly. A few good managers and other co-workers made the job okay at times.

ConsWorked at Holiday as a Community Sales Leader for over a year. Was told in school, their "Holiday University" training, that the average time employed for my position was 5.5 months! Still, couldn't of imagined all the horrible and illegal stuff that they do everyday. Micro-managed and bullied and barely recognized by the company when you are making the quota of 4 move-in's a month. They treat all their employees awful, so morale is generally so poor and everything is "fear" based. Most of the upper management is held in "high regard" for bullying and for using intimidation. You would never be rewarded for being "sensitive" or "human"!

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the pages and pages written here to management, it's pretty obvious they do not care. However, treating people with just fundamental respect might be a good start. The poor community managers give so much and get so little in return, they should be paid more and treated much better. Why is no one caring in senior management about what is going on at most communities with the constant abuse? I guess it's all about money in the end and nothing else.

Community Sales Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement

ProsAssessing seniors needs and creating relationships, free meals, enjoyed helping seniors

ConsEverything! Low base salary for industry standards. Hire sales people with no senior living experience. Bonus plan is sub par and way below industry. Took over 7 weeks to get my training expenses reimbursed to me. Expected to work this ridiculous Tuesday-Saturday schedule. High turnover. Overpriced monthly fees to residents. Hostile work environment. Was promoted but got a much better job outside of industry. I needed to move on as I didn't want my professional reputation tarnished. Seasoned senior living professionals do not take a job with this company. Only thing that was worth anything was Sales Summit. High turnover. Extreme micromanaging.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake managers out of the sales role and let them do operations. Don't hire RSL without any healthcare or senior living knowledge. Stop trying to run this IL as an ALF

Beware

Midland, TX (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Prosnone that i saw or talk about it

ConsIt’s a horrible pace to work. Their work ethics are below the ankles and pressure is immense and horrible. They do not pay you for work hours and the undue pressure and threats and how the play you for your money. You will work more than 80 hours per week and get paid around 5.50 an hour 
They can completely ruin your life and there is absolutely no balance of work and personal life at all. They ask, ask and ask and you just give, give and give………..! until you are bone dry of any existence of life in your body and then, they kick you out or you quit with such a vengeance that even a McDonald job seems a fairy tale …….!
Do not work for this company as they have many law suits against them for compensation and other things. Search yourself and absolutely do not believe their recruiters…………!

the worst thing I have ever experenced

Missoula, MT (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe resedents. I fell in love with the people. Could be the best job ever if it was ran by a different company

Conseverything else. This company sucks so bad they sold themself the profitable buildings and changed their name to progressive senior managment. I sure wish I would have heeded the warnings. I am 47 and have seen a lot of stuff in my life but this for sure is the suckiest job a person could have. So this man was told he had a year to live. The Dr told him to go to work for Grizzly Peak. The man siad how would that make me live longer. The Dr told him it wont but it will sure feal like the longest year of your life

Advice to Senior ManagementJust quit or hire more attorneys.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 321 reviews are posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.