Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "working with seniors working with seniors working with seniors can't think of anything else"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Making a difference in the life of seniors and their families, it really is rewarding,"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most of the upper management is held in "high regard" for bullying and for using intimidation"
    in 34 reviews
  • "I was let go due to performance yet just three months earlier my community led the region in move-ins"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Beware

Midland, TX (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Prosnone that i saw or talk about it

ConsIt’s a horrible pace to work. Their work ethics are below the ankles and pressure is immense and horrible. They do not pay you for work hours and the undue pressure and threats and how the play you for your money. You will work more than 80 hours per week and get paid around 5.50 an hour 
They can completely ruin your life and there is absolutely no balance of work and personal life at all. They ask, ask and ask and you just give, give and give………..! until you are bone dry of any existence of life in your body and then, they kick you out or you quit with such a vengeance that even a McDonald job seems a fairy tale …….!
Do not work for this company as they have many law suits against them for compensation and other things. Search yourself and absolutely do not believe their recruiters…………!

the worst thing I have ever experenced

Missoula, MT (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe resedents. I fell in love with the people. Could be the best job ever if it was ran by a different company

Conseverything else. This company sucks so bad they sold themself the profitable buildings and changed their name to progressive senior managment. I sure wish I would have heeded the warnings. I am 47 and have seen a lot of stuff in my life but this for sure is the suckiest job a person could have. So this man was told he had a year to live. The Dr told him to go to work for Grizzly Peak. The man siad how would that make me live longer. The Dr told him it wont but it will sure feal like the longest year of your life

Advice to Senior ManagementJust quit or hire more attorneys.

Great job, Awful Company To Work For

Community Sales Leader (Former Employee)
Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with seniors and the families

ConsMicro-managed, constant change of direction and too many layers of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe on-going problems of high turnover should be looked at closer. Much of this is due to poor management at the mid to upper levels where real changes should and need to be made.You have dissatisfied associates all addressing the same issues and are either not being heard, leaving the company or in some cases let go for not reaching unrealistic move-in goals. The company truly needs to get the advice of an outside and successful business consulting agency, then review the results and make action plans off of those suggestions.
Have read through these reviews for years and the issues mentioned are consistent month after month, after month. Take notice and make adjustments. Many,quality individuals have left that were the right people for your continued success.

Terrible employer

Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsCan't think of one positive thing except that it is good to be gone from there

ConsCEO lies about everything. Truly a place where you cannot trust or believe anything you are told by senior management. Anyone with integrity either quits or gets fired. Fortress is the NY investment co. that owns Holiday. And Fortress is run by a bunch of young brats who know nothing about senior living or care. Never know from one day or the next if you will still have a job there by then end of the day. But after a few months working for these crazy people you find you really don't care what happens anymore. Getting hit by a car is better than showing up for work and dealing with senior management or Fortress.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust kill yourselves

This company is all about the mighty dollar

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsThe residents but their not happy either.

ConsEverything about them. when you clearly know that it takes this many hours to operate & they cut it by 25% or more then you know you have a problem. They do not support you & their training sucks. Depending on where you work you don't get benefits all you get is a paycheck & headaches. They bring people in & if you don't like you. You will not be unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou see you may have a problem don't just sit on your ass & let it happen start proper training. Iit makes no since to have such a high turnover in management. Top dogs you should look at your middle management closer. You have lots of problems but as long as your money is flowing I guess it just don't matter.

Wonderful company, work life balance

Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary, nice office environment and I work with great people. Company provides awesome health benefits, dental,vision and life. My manager is the best manager I have worked for in my entire 30 year career. Flexible hours and we can have an occasional work from home day too. I have refered several people to work for holiday. Love my job!

ConsMaybe give more vacation time. Two weeks is just not enough to get recharged

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Super happy about the new 401k match

Do NOT take the job offer as a salaried position!!!!!

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with seniors that need you

ConsSalaried means unlimited number of hours and high pressure from your RSL. That high pressure and constant conference calls makes you put more pressure on potential residents. The Community Managers book bogus tours to get the RSL off their back which makes the CSL numbers look bad. The RSL will play the CSL & Community Managers against each other. Don't expect to do anything like you are taught at corporate training. You either have to be crooked like the managers or brown nose in order to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the staff as if they were a real person with real goals & talents. Afterall, you hired them because they had proven sales talent. Make sure preceptors are giving positive outlooks about the company and setting the new employee up for success.

Residents wishes do not mean a thing, everything is about sales

Executive Chef (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsResidents are great, Management team turnover is very bad. I had new bosses twice a year.

ConsEverything is about sales. They ignore the residents wishes. 5 work days a week is a lie because you have to cover staff on sick days and vacations.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the needs of the residents and work on making them happy instead of wasting time and money doing cookie drops and you'll get more referrals

An awful place to work!

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbenefit's, the resident's were so sweet

ConsVery long hours, no respect, micromanaged to death!

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue! VALUE your employee's

Enjoyable working with residents, horrible corporate environment

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Prosworking with residents, leading a team of committed people, rewarding making a difference in the lives of seniors

ConsFirst, a wholesale change has happened such that Relational sales has gone out the window, and our RD has started talking about us in terms of being “telemarketers” and “used car salesmen”.
Second, along with this change of sales tactics has come up to 5 conference calls a day so they can keep the pressure up for you to conform and comply.
Third, this company is exhibiting some classic signs of a company on verge of bankruptcy, one of which is becoming very slow in getting their bills paid. We left being owed $500, several employees have been waiting months for expense checks, and vendors are not being paid, resident moving expenses, and referral fees are not being paid
Fourth, when you try to talk to someone in home office about these issues, good luck getting any kind of a response. I personally had been working for 3 months to get vendors paid and residents their checks.
Fifth, in the midst of a 1.5% Cost of living raise, and less than 1%return on CD’s, the company is now asking for 5.5% rent increases from residents, an indefensible request in my opinion.
We will miss working with the residents and their families but life is too short to put up with the crap this company excels at dishing out

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a complete revamp of management style, before this company goes belly up

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 313 reviews are posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.